Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

2007 FORTUNE 500 METHODOLOGY

Included in the survey are U.S. incorporated companies filing financial statements with a government agency. This includes private companies and cooperatives that file a 10-K and mutual insurance companies that file with state regulators. Excluded are private companies not filing with a government agency; companies incorporated outside the U.S.; companies owned or controlled by other U.S. companies that file with a government agency; and U.S. companies owned or controlled by foreign companies.

There are any number of reasons a private company might file financial statements and thus fall into the Fortune 500. For example, it might have publicly traded debt.

2007 FORTUNE 500 METHODOLOGY

Included in the survey are U.S. incorporated companies filing financial statements with a government agency. This includes private companies and cooperatives that file a 10-K and mutual insurance companies that file with state regulators. Excluded are private companies not filing with a government agency; companies incorporated outside the U.S.; companies owned or controlled by other U.S. companies that file with a government agency; and U.S. companies owned or controlled by foreign companies.

There are any number of reasons a private company might file financial statements and thus fall into the Fortune 500. For example, it might have publicly traded debt.

So, Performance Foods Group, Co. -- Is it or is it not Fortune 500?

This new start-up financial team spun off from Wachovia Securities rather than move to St. Louis. Pity they abandoned downtown Richmond for a Chesterfield location:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-03-0088.html

A Chesterfield location probably makes sense for them as a jumping off point for their 10-20 employees. I'm sure that they'll move back downtown if they become a major player.

Coupe showed that to me last night and I don't see how moving Dock would do anything. I was going to favor the development, but now I'd favor nothing at all on the site. I propose ressurecting the gallows at 16th and Broad specifically for Ross, Ripp, Pantele, Tyler, and McQuinn.

I have a notion that this inRich story does not bode well for one of Metro Richmond's Fortune 500's. Willis Group Holdings Ltd of London is acquiring Henrico based Hilb Rogal & Hobbs Co. Willis has a North American headquarters in NYCity. Valerie Di Maria, a spokesperson for Willis, is quoted thusly: "We are definitely keeping a Richmond presence," and continues, "As you can imagine in these circumstances there will be some redundancies...We don't need two corporate offices in North America -- one in New York and one in Richmond..."

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...06-10-0039.html

And this inRich piece about the business hiring situation in Richmond isn't very encouraging, either:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...06-10-0043.html

Edited by burt

On a cheery note, Venture Richmond tells us that Men's Journal magazine June issue has named Richmond as Number 1 in America as the Best Comeback City.

Venture Richmond has done a superb job of selling the area. Here's what Men's Journal Magazine says about (in order) Richmond, Denver, Spokane, Baltimore, Milwaukee and a tie between The Dalles, Oregon and Providence:

"They were once great towns but then fell into decline for several reasons. Now they are poised on the top of our list in the next few years. Move now, before housing costs skyrocket and entrepreneurs start elbowing each other for market space."

Here's the pdf. Scroll down to page 102:

http://internetmailmanager.com/clients/ven...bestplaces2.pdf

Edited by burt

You can't beat our low taxes and Business-savy government.

Amen. Administration after administration has made a big emphasis for being business friendly. I look forward for the next administration to do he same.

Sorry to say (or am I), it sucks for the People's Republic of Maryland... ...it all started to go down hill for them and really a big plus for NOVA when General Dynamincs got the cold shoulder from MD.

Edited by Shakman

Haha funny you read his comment that way shak because I thought it was a jab at the city's government :lol:... highest taxes in the region, some argue that the city admin. is less than savvy in recruiting new business/investment

My post was meant for the state government. I thought he meant the state government as well... I agree on the City not being business-savy - not even close. Although some in the administration like to take credit from the state when things look up and point fingers when something blows-up. :P

My post was meant for the state government. I thought he meant the state government as well... I agree on the City not being business-savy - not even close. Although some in the administration like to take credit from the state when things look up and point fingers when something blows-up. :P

I like making open-ended comments... ;)

Condo Sales still strong in Richmond

New condo sales represented 17 percent of all new home sales in metro Richmond in 2007. Just five years earlier, in 2002, condos represented only about 2 percent of new home sales, according to Integra. The city of Richmond accounts for much of the spike. In 2007, 460 of the 750 condos sold in the metro area were in Richmond.

Condo Sales still strong in Richmond

The article says that while highend condos struggle, those priced appropriately are doing quite well.

Not very encouraging news for the hopes of toney Centennial Towers which has priced its penthouses at $2M+. But Hilton Garden Inn/ M&R units are in a more manageable range -- from about $150K to $400K+.

Has Sterling Row on 19th Street sold any of its $500K units?

A large number of downtown apartments are coming on line soon -- Canal Walk Tower and the old Lucky Strike building, to name a couiple. They bookend Tobacco Row on East Cary Street. I hope they are renting lots of their units which, together, will total close to 250, give or take a few.

And what news on John Marshall?

Edited by burt

There's a new ad agency in town...well, sort of. SmithGifford is establishing a satellite of its Washington parent and is joining with locals Spurrier Media Group to occupy 4,000 s/f in the Lady Bird (Toads Place) building at 140 Virginia Street, Suite 301. Matt Smith, one of the D.C. transferees, enjoyed a highly respectable association with Hawley Martin and Arnold in Richmond before moving on to agencies in New York, Boston, San Franciosco and elsewhere. Now back on familiar turf, Matt is a known personage in Richmond's teeming advertising quarter.

Edited by burt