Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

This Style Weekly story says VCU might purchase the Theatre Row building at the corner of 8th and Broad next door to the National. The site was formerly The Colonial Theatre and when it was demolished the facade was retained and is a gem on Broad Street.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=17746

The only way I could support the purchase is if it were to become a student theater and even then I'm leary. That area will soon be an entertainment destination and there's simply no place for yet another VCU office/academic building. They've played a large enough role in the transformation of Broad St. west of Belvidere. We don't need their hands in yet another stretch of Broad St.

The only way I could support the purchase is if it were to become a student theater and even then I'm leary. That area will soon be an entertainment destination and there's simply no place for yet another VCU office/academic building. They've played a large enough role in the transformation of Broad St. west of Belvidere. We don't need their hands in yet another stretch of Broad St.

There's no way it would (or could) become a theatre again. All that was saved when the 10-story tower went up was the original facade of the Colonial. The auditorium is a memory. VCU plans to use the new-ish building for the purpose it was intended -- offices, in this case, related to the School of Nursing.

This story follows another recent one about VCU possibly leasing a big chunk of the Capital Square building at the n/w corner of 9th and Main.

And remember, they will also have a presence, albeit a small one, with the U of R in the former Franklin Federal building at the n/w corner of 7th and Broad across from the National.

I wish we had a thread titled Greater Richmond Convention Center. But since we do not, I'm placing the story here about the major (and I stress MAJOR) meeting taking place today and tomorrow at the Convention Center. It has a very strong impact on the local economy and brings International attention to the region.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-23-0070.html

Perhaps as many as 490 employees may lose their jobs with the closure of two Reynolds Plants in Richmond.

From this afternoon's in/Rich Breaking News:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-24-0227.html

Could one of the results be the freeing up of the Alcoa property along the Canal Walk? As much as that may be desired, how much better it would be to move its operations to the Bells Road site and keep all those jobs in Richmond.

Edited by burt

Reynolds Metals was a formidable operation in my Richmond youth. Its headquarters was in the high-rise on the southeast corner of 3rd and Grace Streets which was imploded to make way for Media General expansion. Earlier, Reynolds Metals had commissioned a famous architect to construct a Henrico County building that acheived World-wide notoriety for its design. The latter structure is now headquarters for Philip Morris USA and is adjacent to land still in the Reynolds family near West Broad and Glenside Drive.

Here's a story about the move to Louisville from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...09-27-0057.html

Perhaps when the canal-side plot between 10th and Virginia Street is developed as a mixed-use entertainment/retail/residential complex, the Reynolds name will be prominent.

Probably doesn't mean much for us since there aren't many CitiBanks to speak of Richmond. I understand that the retail banking business will be headquartered in Charlotte and the I-banking in NY.

The million-dollar question is what will happen to the yet-unfinished 46-story Wachovia tower that is being built in Charlotte. Maybe they can ship it up here?

Well, it sounds like Wachovia is being acquired by Citi... I wonder what this will mean for their local operations?

Here's today's inRich story about Citigroup acquiring Wachovia. Since I bank at Citi, maybe I wouldn't have to switch to a local bank if I were to relocate.

Wonder how it will affect Charlotte? Wachovia's new 40+ story tower is rising in their "uptown."

Deposits are safe, but does it mean that Wachovia stock is worthless?

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-29-0211.html

Edited by burt

Probably doesn't mean much for us since there aren't many CitiBanks to speak of Richmond. I understand that the retail banking business will be headquartered in Charlotte and the I-banking in NY.

The million-dollar question is what will happen to the yet-unfinished 46-story Wachovia tower that is being built in Charlotte. Maybe they can ship it up here?

Wachovia's brand new 20+ story tower is well underway in downtown Norfolk. That city has had enough bad news with the failure of Granby Tower; they don't need more disappointment.

Here's today's inRich story about Citigroup acquiring Wachovia. Since I bank at Citi, maybe I wouldn't have to switch to a local bank if I were to relocate.

Wonder how it will affect Charlotte? Wachovia's new 40+ story tower is rising in their "uptown."

Deposits are safe, but does it mean that Wachovia stock is worthless?

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-29-0211.html

From Wachovia's Press Release:

"Citigroup will headquarter the retail bank in Charlotte and the investment bank in New York."