Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

2.) 110-114 S. 15th St. LLC, owner; MGT Construction Management, contractor; 110 S. 15th St., alterations $1.07M.

This will be 31 apts across from BW3 and Stool Pigeons. It should be completed later next year. The name of the developer escapes me at the moment...

This will be 31 apts across from BW3 and Stool Pigeons. It should be completed later next year. The name of the developer escapes me at the moment...

Do you know if there will be any ground level retail or office space there? A friend of mine said that Glave and Holmes' office may be moving to one of those buildings.

Lady Bird Hat building, a/k/a TOADS PLACE, has filled up its available space according to this interesting story by Carol Hazard in today's RTD. Hazzard recounts Richmond's high ranking among cities which have rehabilitated old warehouses and other buildings into tax producing properties. She quotes Lucy Meade of Venture Richmond as saying that the next logical step for downtown is in-fill since most old commercial structures have been reclaimed.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-201045/149687/

Since available space in Lady Bird is filled, I guess plans to lure another restaurant to TOADS have been abandoned.

Edited by burt

Universal Leaf, one of Richmond's surviving Fortune 1000 companies, has put its long-time headquarters building at Hamilton and West Broad Streets up for sale. A spokesman says it has faith in Richmond and wants to remain in the city.

My question is why couldn't they have found a location downtown rather than re-locating way out on Forest Hill Avenue. That, IMO, would have shown a stronger committment to the city.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-205919/157568/

• 2 weeks later...

This far-ranging story from today's Times Dispatch is pretty scattered. It discusses developments in the Metropolitan area, though not a word about Chesterfield's accomplishments. It also includes a slideshow of individuals in the news during 2008.

In its comments about Broad Street's comeback, there is no mention whatsoever of The National which is the catalyst attracting thousands to Downtown.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-182407/163012/

I believe the hard print story is accompanied by photographs.

This far-ranging story from today's Times Dispatch is pretty scattered. It discusses developments in the Metropolitan area, though not a word about Chesterfield's accomplishments. It also includes a slideshow of individuals in the news during 2008.

In its comments about Broad Street's comeback, there is no mention whatsoever of The National which is the catalyst attracting thousands to Downtown.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-182407/163012/

I believe the hard print story is accompanied by photographs.

Who really wants to hear about Chesterfield when you think about it? They don't like to mention themselves in the same breath as Richmond so I find that fitting.

There was an article on CNN.com on the best places to live in the US and three Virginia towns made the cut.

"...focused on smaller places that offered the best combination of economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community..."

54. Mechanicsville

66. Glen Allen

70. Vienna

Two in the Richmond Metro, no less!

Edited by TBurban

• 2 weeks later...

Here are Times Dispatch summaries of big company losses in Metro Richmond. Genworth's story is written by Carol Hazard; Circuit City's by Louis Llovio, and the saga of Land America is by Emily Dooley.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...rico_hq/174168/

What would happen, from a Richmond perspective, if Mexican retail and media tycoon Ricardo Salinas Pliego were to buy Circuit City? He owns "the largest chain of consumer electronic stores" in Latin America. Might not that bode well for a North American Headquarters on the Henrico campus?

It would appear there is hope for Genworth, but the oldest of the three with historic Richmond connections, Land America, is gone forever.

Edited by burt

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news Brent and Joey, but if this bizjournals' story is correct, Richmond lost 4,100 jobs in the last year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/sto.../05/daily1.html

I saw a list on SSC that posted job losses and gains for the top 100 job markets in the country. Norfolk-VA Beach came in 6th with 9,100 jobs created in 2008. Richmond came in around 55th with 4,100 losses. Atlanta had something like 60,000 job losses (Houston had over 50,00 job gains).

The RTD is correct to report the losses but not in a way that makes it entertainment. There will be no end to the recession if people believe that the bottom is falling out of everything. My beef with the RTD coverage is that it isn't constructive nor does the level of hysteria match the reality.

My beef with the new RTD online has little to do with reportage. What irks me is why they have allowed some "expert" to muck around making it more provencial as well as more difficult to negotiate. And they have given non-paid "guest columnists" far too much space to vent their kvetching. The same tiresome anonymous tags keep popping up in the "Post a Comment" segments following news stories.

The Entertainment online coverage is an embarrassment; Thursday, with Dana Craig, Melissa Ruggieri and Daniel Neman is the only day worth pulling up.

The Business section often has good stories, but Sunday coverage is a some-time thing. And Sports is hard to negotiate at the best of times.

It's a frustration.

Edited by burt

The film industry has brought National recognition to Richmond.

Last night at the Golden Globes Presentation, The John Adams mini-series swept the awards;

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television.

Best performance by an actress in a Mini-series or Motion Picture -- Laura Linney.

Best performance by an actor in a Mini-series or Motion Picture -- Paul Giamatti.

Best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a Mini-series or Motion Picture -- Tom Wilkinson.

In September 2008, John Adams won 13 Emmy Awards, giving it the record for the most Emmys ever awarded to a miniseries.

Executive Producer Tom Hanks, in accepting one of the awards, specifically thanked Richmond and Paul Giamatti spoke appreciatively of Virginia.

Thanks to Venture Richmond for providing all these details about last night's awards ceremony in Beverly Hills.

http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/index.html

A back-lot street set was constructed (I believe near Mechanicsville) to represent early 18th Century Boston, Philadelphia and Washington. It remains for future production uses.

It is important that Virginia pursue more film production, IMO.

Edited by burt