Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

The other thing I should mention is that growth begets more growth. Like, I'm in Nashville. We have Amazon and Oracle moving in and bringing 13,500 jobs combined. Do they come in if Bridgestone doesn't double down and bring in 1700 more workers and HCA doesn't have strong growth over the last 20 years? Maybe not. There are other things involved--Nashville is really good at marketing itself--but businesses growing and developing makes it easier to sell to other new companies. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, upzoningisgood said:

The other thing I should mention is that growth begets more growth. Like, I'm in Nashville. We have Amazon and Oracle moving in and bringing 13,500 jobs combined. Do they come in if Bridgestone doesn't double down and bring in 1700 more workers and HCA doesn't have strong growth over the last 20 years? Maybe not. There are other things involved--Nashville is really good at marketing itself--but businesses growing and developing makes it easier to sell to other new companies. 

Self-marketing has been RVA's downfall for as long as I can remember, and I've been following this stuff for close to 50 years. Charlotte is the "Queen City" (shhhh - don't tell Cincinnati that!!) for a reason - she's great at marketing herself. Successful cities embrace vanity - it's how they recruit businesses and bring new residents. Probably the best of the best of the best HAS to be Austin. They had the kajones to actually go to the BAY AREA - the very CRADLE of hi-tech - and poach company after company after company with their sweet (and very legitimate) offer of operating in a MUCH more cost-friendly city/metro. And they didn't stop there - they put the hammer down and went pedal-to-the-metal on marketing, boosterism, business recruitment. The dividends that those efforts have paid over the past 30-40 years are astronomical. RVA could learn a thing-or-five from these cities.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Self-marketing has been RVA's downfall for as long as I can remember, and I've been following this stuff for close to 50 years. Charlotte is the "Queen City" (shhhh - don't tell Cincinnati that!!) for a reason - she's great at marketing herself. Successful cities embrace vanity - it's how they recruit businesses and bring new residents. Probably the best of the best of the best HAS to be Austin. They had the kajones to actually go to the BAY AREA - the very CRADLE of hi-tech - and poach company after company after company with their sweet (and very legitimate) offer of operating in a MUCH more cost-friendly city/metro. And they didn't stop there - they put the hammer down and went pedal-to-the-metal on marketing, boosterism, business recruitment. The dividends that those efforts have paid over the past 30-40 years are astronomical. RVA could learn a thing-or-five from these cities.

Well to really kick Richmond in the nuts even more. I’ve seen a commercial tan here non-stop in the Richmond metro area advertising to visit Charlotte and I’m like gee charlotte you really enjoy kicking us when we are already down from you guys taking all of our banks.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Well to really kick Richmond in the nuts even more. I’ve seen a commercial tan here non-stop in the Richmond metro area advertising to visit Charlotte and I’m like gee charlotte you really enjoy kicking us when we are already down from you guys taking all of our banks.

And see - this raises the question - why aren't WE doing that? Sending out troops (so to speak) just to drive around various metro areas advertising "VISIT RICHMOND!!!"  or "SPEND THE DAY IN RVA!!!" I mean - C'MON, RICHMOND! OTHER CITIES ARE DOING IT RIGHT IN OUR OWN BACK YARD!!!

So - they kick us in the nuts, we kick them right back, damnit! :tw_thumbsup:

WHY are we not doing this?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

And see - this raises the question - why aren't WE doing that? Sending out troops (so to speak) just to drive around various metro areas advertising "VISIT RICHMOND!!!"  or "SPEND THE DAY IN RVA!!!" I mean - C'MON, RICHMOND! OTHER CITIES ARE DOING IT RIGHT IN OUR OWN BACK YARD!!!

So - they kick us in the nuts, we kick them right back, damnit! :tw_thumbsup:

WHY are we not doing this?

Tell me about it man. They do it to us let’s do it right back at them. It’s war Charlotte war I tell ya 

:tw_lol:

• Haha 1

I’m pretty sure Richmond advertises outside of the metro area.  When I was in Boston in March the subway stations were plastered in Williamsburg and Yorktown  advertisements.  Not just random posters either, the stations had an entire Williamsburg theme going on (on the walls, on the ticketing machines, on the posts supporting the ceilings…).  Not Richmond, but I’m sure Richmond themed crap has appeared in cities across America at some point . 

And the Charlotte commercials make Charlotte look even less interesting than it is  (happy couples dressed in Tommy Bahama clinking glasses at restaurants with drop-in tile ceilings).   It’s a good sign that the Queen City is marketing itself to Richmond.  They know we’re here and they want our business.  That’s better than being ignored :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I’m pretty sure Richmond advertises outside of the metro area.  When I was in Boston in March the subway stations were plastered in Williamsburg and Yorktown  advertisements.  Not just random posters either, the stations had an entire Williamsburg theme going on (on the walls, on the ticketing machines, on the posts supporting the ceilings…).  Not Richmond, but I’m sure Richmond themed crap has appeared in cities across America at some point . 

And the Charlotte commercials make Charlotte look even less interesting than it is  (happy couples dressed in Tommy Bahama clinking glasses at restaurants with drop-in tile ceilings).   It’s a good sign that the Queen City is marketing itself to Richmond.  They know we’re here and they want our business.  That’s better than being ignored :) 

VERY good point.

There's an old adage - Chicago was America's "Second City" from forever because even at her largest - 3.6 million population in the city proper in the 1950 census - the city was ALWAYS a couple of light years behind New York. And Chicago has always had an inferority complex (I have TOTALLY seen and been exposed to this in the 21 years I've lived here) - and it manifests in being OVERLY gregarious (if those two terms can be used in the same sentence that way) in puffing herself up - and sticking the chest out as the greatest thing since sliced bread. So, the old adage goes something like this:

Chicago always compares herself to New York because she's never been able to step out of New York's shadow. However, New York doesn't compare herself to Chicago or to anyone. Why? Because she doesn't have to.

Edited by I miss RVA

23 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Last year at DCA I saw a poster of the Richmond skyline however Rosslyn, VA was written across the bottom.  LOL!

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 4

I do think Richmond needs to market itself better as @I miss RVAindicted. I live in NOVA and I’ve never seen any advertisements about Richmond up here.  The only place I see any mention of Richmond up here is on green directional signs in the major highways (which don’t count). From time to time you may hear about Richmond in the news during legislation season, but there’s no marketing push or blitz (as there should be) for folks to come down to Richmond to visit or to move there. I think this is a huge opportunity missed. People up here are starting to notice Richmond in a good way though, but it’s not due to any marketing. It’s all due to word of mouth from friends or families sharing their experiences.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I do think Richmond needs to market itself better as @I miss RVAindicted. I live in NOVA and I’ve never seen any advertisements about Richmond up here.  The only place I see any mention of Richmond up here is on green directional signs in the major highways (which don’t count). From time to time you may hear about Richmond in the news during legislation season, but there’s no marketing push or blitz (as there should be) for folks to come down to Richmond to visit or to move there. I think this is a huge opportunity missed. People up here are starting to notice Richmond in a good way though, but it’s not due to any marketing. It’s all due to word of mouth from friends or families sharing their experiences.

And see, that's an EXTREMELY good point that needs to be made IN BOATLOADS to the powers that be in the city leadership. WHY is it that there is absolutely NO advertising whatsoever in NOVA? Hampton Roads? Why don't we have ads running in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, cities in the South, the Midwest, and particularly the West Coast - LA, SF, Seattle, Portland - hell, even CHARLOTTE!! YES, the Death Star (or Borg Collective - take your pick) known as CHARLOTTE!!! 

@eandsleeyou are 100% on the mark - it is a HUGE missed opportunity! If the only time anyone sees the name "Richmond" is on green directional highway signs or in datelines "RICHMOND" detailing the latest and greatest from the General Assembly, then we're not just missing the mark - we're not even SHOOTING at the mark!

Who in the city government - what agency, what person/people, or even outside the city government, be it business, civic organizations, etc., could be contacted? SOMEONE NEEDS A FLAME LIT UNDER THEIR TUCHUS, damnit! That RVA isn't OUT THERE 24/7/365 marketing herself like her life depends on it is utterly ABSURD. SURELY there is funding in a budget SOMEWHERE to put toward running TV ads, billboards, magazine ads, online content. WHY isn't someone putting together marketing packages - even something as simple as film shorts (and there are PLENTY of EXTREMELY TALENTED free-agents as well as top-notch professional agencies around this city who would jump at the chance to make a few bucks putting something like this for the city) - something that can be marketed online, be it on YouTube or various streaming services. Imagine the power of a 30-or-60-second ad touting people visit Richmond - that companies look at relocating to Richmond. Mottos can be ridiculously simple - "COME FOR THE DAY, WE'RE SURE YOU'LL STAY" ... "COME LIVE, WORK AND PLAY IN RVA"

There should be an iconic logo that turns "RVA" into a visual catchphrase - something that touts the city as THE LOCATION to come to - THE PLACE TO BE - THE PLACE TO "LIVE WORK AND PLAY" ...

OMG - the possibilities are ENDLESS. 

WHO can we reach out to about this? And I'm as serious as a 5-alarm fire in asking this question - it's not a hypothetical. WE MUST BE THE GRASSROOTS of this. Together as a community, why can't WE start the ball rolling by at least getting the right people who can make a difference onboard with it?

Edited by I miss RVA

16 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

And see, that's an EXTREMELY good point that needs to be made IN BOATLOADS to the powers that be in the city leadership. WHY is it that there is absolutely NO advertising whatsoever in NOVA? Hampton Roads? Why don't we have ads running in New York, Philadelphia, Boston - hell even CHARLOTTE!! YES CHARLOTTE!!! 

@eandsleeyou are 100% on the mark - it is a HUGE missed opportunity! If the only time anyone sees the name "Richmond" is on green directional highway signs or in datelines "RICHMOND" detailing the latest and greatest from the General Assembly, then we're not just missing the mark - we're not even SHOOTING at the mark!

Who in the city government - what agency, what person/people, or even outside the city government, be it business, civic organizations, etc., could be contacted? SOMEONE NEEDS A FLAME LIT UNDER THEIR TUCHUS, damnit! That RVA isn't OUT THERE 24/7/365 marketing herself like her life depends on it is utterly ABSURD. SURELY there is funding in a budget SOMEWHERE to put toward running TV ads, billboards, magazine ads, online content. WHY isn't someone putting together marketing packages - even something as simple as film shorts (and there are PLENTY of EXTREMELY TALENTED free-agents as well as top-notch professional agencies around this city who would jump at the chance to make a few bucks putting something like this for the city) - something that can be marketed online, be it on YouTube or various streaming services. Imagine the power of a 30-or-60-second ad touting people visit Richmond - that companies look at relocating to Richmond. Mottos can be ridiculously simple - "COME FOR THE DAY, WE'RE SURE YOU'LL STAY" ... "COME LIVE, WORK AND PLAY IN RVA"

There should be an iconic logo that turns "RVA" into a visual catchphrase - something that touts the city as THE LOCATION to come to - THE PLACE TO BE - THE PLACE TO "LIVE WORK AND PLAY" ...

OMG - the possibilities are ENDLESS. 

WHO can we reach out to about this? And I'm as serious as a 5-alarm fire in asking this question - it's not a hypothetical. WE MUST BE THE GRASSROOTS of this. Together as a community, why can't WE start the ball rolling by at least getting the right people who can make a difference onboard with it?

Here's the thing:  Richmond has a great website out there geared toward tourism (https://www.visitrichmondva.com/), but my personal experience is that this web address is not plastered anywhere up here in the NOVA area that I've seen.  If there's anyone to contact about this, it would be these people.  I know they have a budget for marketing (they have to have one), just not sure they are targeting NOVA.  Perhaps they're focused on some other area of the country.  I just haven't seen it here.  Maybe their marketing is just misdirected?

Here's their contact page:  https://www.visitrichmondva.com/contact/

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Here's the thing:  Richmond has a great website out there geared toward tourism (https://www.visitrichmondva.com/), but my personal experience is that this web address is not plastered anywhere up here in the NOVA area that I've seen.  If there's anyone to contact about this, it would be these people.  I know they have a budget for marketing (they have to have one), just not sure they are targeting NOVA.  Perhaps they're focused on some other area of the country.  I just haven't seen it here.  Maybe their marketing is just misdirected?

Here's their contact page:  https://www.visitrichmondva.com/contact/

I'll check it out straight away. Might be worth a few emails or phone calls to see what's what.

This is a good start. Who else can we contact? Is there a department in the city government that handles these things? Are there business or civic leaders who could be contacted?

Once we have a roster of who needs to be contacted, I'm thinking it behooves ALL of us in our community here to start "flooding the zone" with requests, queries, suggestions. It doesn't do a lot of good if only one or two of us reach out, particularly when one (or more) of the people reaching out live elsewhere, be it out of town or out of state. How many people are there in our community? Even if we only had 15 or 20 folks take a few minutes to submit an email - it would be a start. The more firepower we can put behind putting this in front of someone, the better our chances are at getting RVA plastered on billboards all across the county.

It has to be about more than just tourism, too. Mind you, tourism is a huge piece of the puzzle. But it has to be more. Deeper, more encompassing. Especially if at some point RVA start marketing directly in the heart of the Borg Collective! :tw_wink:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'll check it out straight away. Might be worth a few emails or phone calls to see what's what.

This is a good start. Who else can we contact? Is there a department in the city government that handles these things? Are there business or civic leaders who could be contacted?

Once we have a roster of who needs to be contacted, I'm thinking it behooves ALL of us in our community here to start "flooding the zone" with requests, queries, suggestions. It doesn't do a lot of good if only one or two of us reach out, particularly when one (or more) of the people reaching out live elsewhere, be it out of town or out of state. How many people are there in our community? Even if we only had 15 or 20 folks take a few minutes to submit an email - it would be a start. The more firepower we can put behind putting this in front of someone, the better our chances are at getting RVA plastered on billboards all across the county.

It has to be about more than just tourism, too. Mind you, tourism is a huge piece of the puzzle. But it has to be more. Deeper, more encompassing. Especially if at some point RVA start marketing directly in the heart of the Borg Collective! :tw_wink:

Well, I know that Mr. Jack Berry is the President and CEO of Richmond Region Tourism ([email protected]).  He is the one really charged with marketing the area.  Not sure who in the City, if anyone, has that kind of job.  The other organization that promotes businesses to the Richmond region is Greater Richmond Partnership (https://www.grpva.com/).  Jennifer Wakefield is the President and CEO ([email protected]).  Michael C. Ivey is the Vice President of Marketing & Communication ([email protected]) and here is a link to the rest of the team:  https://www.grpva.com/about-grp/our-team/

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Well, I know that Mr. Jack Berry is the President and CEO of Richmond Region Tourism ([email protected]).  He is the one really charged with marketing the area.  Not sure who in the City, if anyone, has that kind of job.  The other organization that promotes businesses to the Richmond region is Greater Richmond Partnership (https://www.grpva.com/).  Jennifer Wakefield is the President and CEO ([email protected]).  Michael C. Ivey is the Vice President of Marketing & Communication ([email protected]) and here is a link to the rest of the team:  https://www.grpva.com/about-grp/our-team/

EXCELLENT!! Thanks, @eandslee-- gives me something to work with.

@Downtowner-- what was it specifically you saw advertising Charlotte and where/when/how often did you see it? 

Folks, I'm serious in that we're going to need more than one or two of us reaching out. If we want the needle in RVA to move - we need to take action. I'll put in some advance legwork on this and start the ball rolling from my end. But as many of us as possible really need to take a few minutes and scratch out an email to folks. For those of you living in the city, how about reaching out to your City Council rep? Put the bug in their ears. I might (in addition to these folks) reach out to the Mayor's office directly - it can't hurt! Maybe ALL of us should do the same - a quick email to the Mayor might make a big difference, if enough of us step up the plate and hammer one out of the park.

It only takes a few minutes to put something together. Action now might make a huge difference for RVA down the road.

This isn't meant in a perjorative way - but I'm going to put it on the table: don't just read this and say "hey, that's great - good luck, @I miss RVA..." but then just let it go and sit back and do nothing. If you care enough about the city to take the time to be in this community and be on these boards and read & respond to all the threads, then you can care enough to take 5 minutes to write an email or two to the Mayor's office or to Greater Richmond Partnership or Richmond Region Tourism and put the bug in their ear that we NEED NEED NEED MORE MARKETING!!! Use the Charlotte advert as a STARK example of how THEY are coming into OUR house and thumping THEIR chest. And how we need to do the same. 

I'm serious - it takes all of us - TOGETHER. Forgive me but "I would, but I don't have the time" or "I don't know what to say" just doesn't cut it. Please, friends, JOIN ME in reaching out and making a difference!

Let's do this together as a team! Because TOGETHER - we can help build a bigger, BETTER RVA!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

EXCELLENT!! Thanks, @eandslee-- gives me something to work with.

@Downtowner-- what was it specifically you saw advertising Charlotte and where/when/how often did you see it? 

Folks, I'm serious in that we're going to need more than one or two of us reaching out. If we want the needle in RVA to move - we need to take action. I'll put in some advance legwork on this and start the ball rolling from my end. But as many of us as possible really need to take a few minutes and scratch out an email to folks. For those of you living in the city, how about reaching out to your City Council rep? Put the bug in their ears. I might (in addition to these folks) reach out to the Mayor's office directly - it can't hurt! Maybe ALL of us should do the same - a quick email to the Mayor might make a big difference, if enough of us step up the plate and hammer one out of the park.

It only takes a few minutes to put something together. Action now might make a huge difference for RVA down the road.

This isn't meant in a perjorative way - but I'm going to put it on the table: don't just read this and say "hey, that's great - good luck, @I miss RVA..." but then just let it go and sit back and do nothing. If you care enough about the city to take the time to be in this community and be on these boards and read & respond to all the threads, then you can care enough to take 5 minutes to write an email or two to the Mayor's office or to Greater Richmond Partnership or Richmond Region Tourism and put the bug in their ear that we NEED NEED NEED MORE MARKETING!!! Use the Charlotte advert as a STARK example of how THEY are coming into OUR house and thumping THEIR chest. And how we need to do the same. 

I'm serious - it takes all of us - TOGETHER. Forgive me but "I would, but I don't have the time" or "I don't know what to say" just doesn't cut it. Please, friends, JOIN ME in reaching out and making a difference!

Let's do this together as a team! Because TOGETHER - we can help build a bigger, BETTER RVA!

It focuses on downtown Charlotte and has several shots of their downtown and skyline. Let’s say it’s more than any other city I have ever seen advertised. I will say the current grtc commercials are pretty good advertising. We could start with stuff around those lines that talks about the drivers traveling our wonderful city and talks about passengers being able to go to work or explore Richmond. So I do like stuff along those lines just make it in other cities without the grtc aspect of it and please don’t make it cheesey. Make it serious as we need to get serious with marketing Richmond and all it is go offer. The museums the dining scene the river and parks businesses and throw in the flying squirrels and college level sports we have to offer since we don’t have much of a sports scene. Mention the whole shebang about Richmond. Heck even talk about the cost of living compared to dc just to entice people and businesses. That’s what you do to get the ball rolling.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

It focuses on downtown Charlotte and has several shots of their downtown and skyline. Let’s say it’s more than any other city I have ever seen advertised. I will say the current grtc commercials are pretty good advertising. We could start with stuff around those lines that talks about the drivers traveling our wonderful city and talks about passengers being able to go to work or explore Richmond. So I do like stuff along those lines just make it in other cities without the grtc aspect of it and please don’t make it cheesey. Make it serious as we need to get serious with marketing Richmond and all it is go offer. The museums the dining scene the river and parks businesses and throw in the flying squirrels and college level sports we have to offer since we don’t have much of a sports scene. Mention the whole shebang about Richmond. Heck even talk about the cost of living compared to dc just to entice people and businesses. That’s what you do to get the ball rolling.

This is good info, @DowntownerWhere specifically did you see this and via what means? Was there a vehicle like a tour bus with advertising on it? Or billboards? Or was this online? Where/how did you see this?

I 100% agree - that the marketing would have to be tailored such to fit the market into which we would be looking to get views. Like you said - for a campaign in NOVA or NYC, for example, tout RVA's (MUCH!) lower costs - both from a living and a business standpoint. For other locations, tourism - like you said, the museums, river, dining - standard "touristy" fare. Something with folks talking -- as you mentioned, so long as it ain't cheesy -- sometimes really works well, depending on the audience. We'll leave the HOW they go about it to the professionals. The BIG thing is - we need to get the professionals up off their backsides and get them to go to work on this! Whether it's the Mayor's office, or the tourism organizations @eandsleeshared with us, they need to get some movement on this. Obviously, everything comes down to money - so perhaps the state should be involved with this as well? State tourism and business leaders - perhaps - could snag some funding (though the G.A. session has ended or is ending, no? Or are they in special session this summer?) 

Either way, this is good stuff. And it starts with us and some emails to the right people and the right organizations. "Flood the zone" with requests to get RVA into the business-sphere - into the tourist-sphere - and to get the names "Richmond" and "RVA" (that NEEDS to be an iconic logo - something that will sell this city as a place to live, work, play, be, do business, etc.) in front of peoples' eyes and into their brains. 

We're the grass roots, guys. We can make this happen!

30 minutes ago, upzoningisgood said:

This is bad. Fixable, but bad.

Sounds like it's time -- URGENTLY -- to reach out to your local Delegate and state Senator. This needs to be fixed - otherwise the NIMBYs will have a FIELD DAY with challenges.

Folks, this one's on y'all to handle - I don't live in VA so I don't have a voice that's "tied to a vote" (for a representative) in this.  Please - don't sit on this. Reach out right away to your local representatives and ask for legislation to fix this.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, upzoningisgood said:

@I miss RVAI’m in the same boat and concur.

I've already started my reachouts on the marketing stuff - I don't have to live in RVA to pester these people. They don't need to know where I live. All that matters is that I'm an interested citizen who loves RVA and wants to see the city marketed in such a way that she thrives and grows and doesn't just let other cities come into the house and take over.

But it's a whole different ballgame when reaching out to state representatives, because they don't represent me - and they're not beholden to me or my vote.

It doesn't have to take a lot of time or energy to get involved. And just like with the marketing stuff, EVERY voice counts - every email, phone call, reachout - it all makes a difference. Nothing gets done unless we step up and actually do something.

So I’m not going g to get any of the details right but I seem to recall about 10-12 years ago (or maybe 5 years ago lol) the city increased its marketing budget significantly.  It was something pitiful like $40k and was increased to something like $400k (don’t put any stock in these numbers,  I just need some numbers  to illustrate the point lol).  At the time the marketing budget of Virginia Beach was mentioned.  It was in the millions if I recall? 

I think the city is spending money somewhere.  It’s not NoVa  (and I’ve never seen a “come to NoVa” advertisement down here).  I imagine the targets  are a bit farther out but still within a days drive (OH, PA, KY…that kind of distance).   Unfortunately my google skills aren't sharp enough to find any lol.  I suspect it’s pretty targeted, like an ad selling Richmond’s  river access and beer scene in an Asheville NC publication.  

Norfolk had ads on the sides of GRTC busses last summer.  Maybe we were plastered on the Tide?  

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 1