Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

2 hours ago, Child2021 said:

REALLY good find, @Child2021 !  An interesting and important takeaway from the GRP press release:

"With $52.9 million in funding from EDA, the Advanced Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (APM) Cluster will expand the domestic supply chain for essential medicines and critical active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs). The projects funded as part of this award include expanding a nascent pharmaceutical manufacturing corridor in Central Virginia through investment in new wet lab space, development of critical infrastructure to sustain industrial capacity in Petersburg, and engagement with local business to enhance the regional pharmaceutical supply chain. The project will also catalyze a new partnership between Virginia Commonwealth University and Virginia State University to create new pathways for underserved residents to high-quality training and jobs in the pharmaceutical industry."

This will be especially beneficial to Petersburg, which needs this kind of push forward to get her moving. I'm thrilled that VSU and VCU will be tag-teaming this -- and doing so to the specific benefit of Petersburg, as well as the entire metro. Unfortunately, the Tri Cities are the oft-forgotten part of the RVA metro that gets overlooked and bypassed. Having a strong economy in the Tri Cities is a hugely important part to the overall health and vitality of the greater metro RVA economy as a whole. I can't emphasize enough just how critically important this is.

Good news all the way around!

• Like 4

I figured this story fits better here than merely in the suburban thread given that it's another example of an opening of a "first such location in Virginia" happening in metro Richmond.

Humana is opening a new kind of primary care facility "CenterWell Senior Primary Care" in eastern Henrico on S. Laburnum Avenue. This clinic will be the first of six to open in the Commonwealth - of which three will be in metro Richmond and three will be located in Hampton Roads. Glad to see this new facility coming to the eastern part of the metro - and very glad to see RVA, once again, being FIRST to land a new business/business concept seeking entry into Virginia.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/12/insurance-giant-humana-to-bring-new-primary-care-concept-to-henrico/

Screenshot (2234).png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Downtowner said:

https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/ap/business/plenty-building-world-s-largest-indoor-vertical-farm-campus/article_6ea0f258-c663-5235-859a-49b0a7a9088e.html

300 more jobs coming to meadowville tech park from San Francisco based farm plenty unlimited. The worlds largest vertical farm to grow Driscoll strawberries 

This is yet another big win for metro Richmond! Just amazing how these kinds of wins have suddenly started coming one after the other after the other. Fantastic trend that has started - we just have to keep the wins coming!

Here's the Times-Dispatch's reporting on the story:

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/california-firm-says-it-will-build-worlds-largest-vertical-farm-in-chesterfield/article_c2414574-2d36-594c-ad2d-03a3e2c4c6e8.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

• Like 4

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

This is yet another big win for metro Richmond! Just amazing how these kinds of wins have suddenly started coming one after the other after the other. Fantastic trend that has started - we just have to keep the wins coming!

Here's the Times-Dispatch's reporting on the story:

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/california-firm-says-it-will-build-worlds-largest-vertical-farm-in-chesterfield/article_c2414574-2d36-594c-ad2d-03a3e2c4c6e8.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

So Raleigh lands Apple, Richmond lands a farm that grows apples…or strawberries (agriculture). You tell me which metro is more technologically advanced. :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Really? Care to share?

Was trying to be funny but if I have to explain the punch line then it didn’t work. Vertical plants,  that are being grown, made me think of bean stalks, Jack climbed the bean stalk to get his pot of gold, anyway, I’ll see myself out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_and_the_Beanstalk

Edited by Hike
Added link for story research
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

So Raleigh lands Apple, Richmond lands a farm that grows apples…or strawberries (agriculture). You tell me which metro is more technologically advanced. :rolleyes:

Short term Apple would  be more exciting…. but growing food is far more important and unlike Apple, slave labor won’t be making (growing) the product (with regards to Apple most products are redundant, unnecessary  and only for white middle class folk).   So Richmond is more hip and progressive and futuristic :) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Hike said:

Was trying to be funny but if I have to explain the punch line then it didn’t work. Vertical plants,  that are being grown, made me think of bean stalks, Jack climbed the bean stalk to get his pot of gold, anyway, I’ll see myself out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_and_the_Beanstalk

LOVE IT!! :tw_thumbsup: Damn - I was being wayyyyy too technical - I thought maybe you had some inside industry info. :tw_joy:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

lutron brings 200 jobs to Hanover.

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2022/september/name-939800-en.html

yall need to start checking governor Youngkin website. I check it like rbs now for new jobs coming to the Richmond metro area.

Wow - the jobs just keep rolling in. This is fantastic - gotta keep RVA on this roll!

8 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Wow - the jobs just keep rolling in. This is fantastic - gotta keep RVA on this roll!

Im not sure how to post it but he was on bloombergbusiness and mentioned the jobs coming into Richmond and gave a shout out to the Richmond metro area. Very nice to see someone at least start to put the Richmond metro on the map

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Im not sure how to post it but he was on bloombergbusiness and mentioned the jobs coming into Richmond and gave a shout out to the Richmond metro area. Very nice to see someone at least start to put the Richmond metro on the map

That's something that needs to keep happening - giving voice and name-recognition to "Richmond" on the national stage.

• Like 2

Below is GRP’s major accomplishments over the past year or so and the impact it has made to bringing new companies or helping existing expanding companies in RVA.  Top on the list are CoStar’s planned expansion in downtown Richmond (~$460M investment/new 26-story tower) and landing the $2B+ Lego manufacturing facility to Meadowville Technology Park in east Chesterfield.  Led by Jennifer Wakefield (who “gets” what RVA needs to do to attract businesses to the metro area), I’m excited to see what other “big fish” GRP will reel into RVA over this next year!  Don’t stop…keep this train rolling…in fact, step on the gas!!!

https://www.grpva.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/GRP_AnnualReport_2022.pdf?utm_content=221794912&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-59870874

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Below is GRP’s major accomplishments over the past year or so and the impact it has made to bringing new companies or helping existing expanding companies in RVA.  Top on the list are CoStar’s planned expansion in downtown Richmond (~$460M investment/new 26-story tower) and landing the $2B+ Lego manufacturing facility to Meadowville Technology Park in east Chesterfield.  Led by Jennifer Wakefield (who “gets” what RVA needs to do to attract businesses to the metro area), I’m excited to see what other “big fish” GRP will reel into RVA over this next year!  Don’t stop…keep this train rolling…in fact, step on the gas!!!

https://www.grpva.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/GRP_AnnualReport_2022.pdf?utm_content=221794912&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-59870874

Richmond was doing OK on it's own, now for the first time we have the city and public interest groups coordinating in an actual marketing campaign to bring in new businesses.  Hopefully we get some great results. 

Success also begets success, lots of NOVA people moving down here for better quality of life and working remote. Well once they are here businesses will see the talent pool in RVA and be more willing to relocate here because of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Tremendous successes the last two years. Indeed - we need to keep feet on the gas - and while we're at it, light the damn afterburners!! Get this rocket off the launch pad and reach for the stars.

@123fakestreet-- having a coordinated effort directed by a specific business-focuses organization like the GRP is a HUGE plus - something that RVA city and metro sorely lacked for DECADES. I'm super excited by what they've done so far and, as you said, success begets success. I think we can tie today's announcement of the gorgeous Hourigan residential tower on the Manchester riverfront -- even if only indirectly -- to the fruit that is coming from the efforts of the GRP.  We still have - to quote Phil Collins - "a long long way to go" - but wow - it's starting to feel like we've turned a big corner and are really rolling full-speed ahead. I can't wait to see how this will shake out for RVA (city and metro) over the next 5, 10, 15, 20 years.

Another out-of-town entry into the RVA market = another win for Richmond. NOVA-based architecture firm is setting up shop with a Richmond office and they're locating in Scott's Addition.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/27/nova-architecture-firm-makes-move-into-richmond/

• Like 2