Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

Hey yall! finally figure out how to login here - been following the conversations here for a while and have a passion for this fair city of ours :) Screw taxes for advertising - Richmond is too cool a place to try and copy what other cities do. Let it happen organically - might be slower than some of yall would like but will be WAY better in the long run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rooster said:

Hey yall! finally figure out how to login here - been following the conversations here for a while and have a passion for this fair city of ours :) Screw taxes for advertising - Richmond is too cool a place to try and copy what other cities do. Let it happen organically - might be slower than some of yall would like but will be WAY better in the long run.

Welcome aboard, @Rooster!! Very glad you decided to join the fun and craziness here. :tw_smiley:

I will definitely agree with you that RVA is WAY too cool a place to copy any other city. Mind you - our significantly ramping up the rate of growth here doesn't require RVA to "copy" other cities.  Doing similar things to what other cities are doing - is simply normal urban growth and evolution - it's a process common to ALL cities. It's not a matter of copying anyone. :tw_smile: 

Now, we'll have to agree to disagree, however, on the other points (organic growth vs supercharged growth). Organic (to me) is not only too slow - it's tantamount to practically zero growth because 50  years from now we won't be changed much at all from how we are now. At least for me, that absolutely won't work. At all.

I just turned 60 - and have been following all of this stuff for the past 50 years (yeah... I actually started seriously following it when I was a kid... (commence the eye rolling)) ... My whole life, I always dreamed RVA would actually become a legitimate major city. And 50 years later... well... you can imagine the pain I've endured over the past five decades watching her NOT become what I've dreamed she would be.

HOWEVER - I've been VERY heartened to see her stepping up her game in the last 10 or so years - and it's renewed my enthusiasm that I might live to see at least part of my dream for the city fulfilled before they lay my tuchus in the ground. :tw_joy:  But I want more. A LOT MORE! (Yes, I'm greedy!!)

Anyway... all that said - welcome aboard!! Please don't be a stranger! Looking forward to your take on a wide variety of RVA topics. :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Saw this in an email from Henrico Economic Development - Richmond region was ranked #2 in the world for future warehouse and logistics locations.

https://content.yudu.com/web/43wcl/0A43wm9/fDidec20/html/index.html?page=114&origin=reader

HOLY WOWWWW!!! Thanks, Coupe!! What a great find! And more FANTASTIC pub for RVA -- and this good press will be/is VERY far reaching.

@wrldcoupe4, @upzoningisgoodand any/all of our other gurus: from your professional perspective - how can RVA/RVA metro leverage this going forward into significant growth?

Folks, here's the list of the Top 5 in this category from the article Coupe referenced:

Screenshot (2562).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

A good feature story in today's RBS that might've otherwise slipped under our collective RVA UP radar, but one that I think is a very big deal from an RVA business standpoint: The iconic downtown Richmond-based 125-year-old architecture firm Baskervill is opening satellite offices in Charlotte and Denver - expanding a business footprint that has gone global (and this is the big takeaway IMNSHO) with an office in Gdansk, Poland. These new offices will bring to six worldwide, five in the U.S. (Richmond-HQ, D.C/NOVA, Orlando, Charlotte and Denver. 

The biggest takeaways that I see are again, expanding the Richmond name far and wide. Adding other important business centers to the roster of cities of a RICHMOND-BASED company is just as important (and in my mind, impressive) as adding RICHMOND to the roster of an out-of-state firm.  And - even if it's only incremental, this certainly can have an impact on air service at RIC with more opportunities for business travelers to fly to/from (particularly) Denver and Orlando as well as Charlotte -- AND -- perhaps more importantly -- giving more credence to the concept of luring a budget carrier to offer a few trans-Atlantic flights out of RIC once our international infrastructure has been re-established and is up and running (particularly when we add LEGO to the mix with their uber-factory to be built in the metro - and IF (a HUGE hypothetical IF) we were to ever lure their corporate HQ to the River City from Connecticut).

This is another example of an outstanding opportunity to further position Richmond as a player in the national -- and global -- business scene.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/16/baskervill-broadens-footprint-with-new-offices-in-charlotte-and-denver/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, upzoningisgood said:

I’ve been visiting for the day and Broad Street and The Fan seems…deader then usual? Like there seem to be a lot more vacancies than I remember. Am I tripping?

Because I grew up in the '60s and early 70s, I remember when Broad Street was jammed with people (and quite frankly could have been a picture of just about any street in Manhattan or downtown Chicago for all the activity) - and by the time we got into the '80s, it seemed TOTALLY dead by comparison.

That said, I totally hear where you're coming from, @upzoningisgood. Maybe everyone's hunkered down for the holidays? Absent the AMAZING retail core of 50, 60-plus years ago, which in reality withered and died on the vine throughout the '70s and '80s, Broad Street and downtown can get awfully empty, unfortunately.

This is what is USED to look like! How I wish we could get this kind of concentration of people back in downtown again - but we're a long ways off from this.

And it DIDN'T have to be the holiday shopping season to be jam-packed!

5d248193cff21.image.jpg

5d24818243742.image.jpg

Of course, during the holiday shopping season, it was absolutely INSANE downtown!

5d24818b5f49f.jpg

Richmond_Woolworth_shoppers.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

As part of their series of year-end reviews, Mike has a nice write-up in today's RBS about CRE developments in the city in 2022. Highlights include the Diamond District redevelopment, CoStar's big tower on the riverfront, some select projects in Scott's Addition, the burgeoning Manchester skyline, and residential development downtown, including The Project Formerly Known as The Admiral at 2nd and E. Marshall AND one we've forgotten about - a mystery developer's plans for a 15-story tower on Grace Street in Monroe Ward near the  "Y" to replace one of the Parkway-owned surface parking lots. Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think 2022 actually outpaced 2021 in terms of development in the city.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/27/the-year-in-cre-city-development-recap-for-2022/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Bruce mentioned "The City population is growing at about a rate of 10,000 per year..." I assume he means the metro, because that would be Charlotte level growth if it was only the city proper and they have 6x the land area.   Either way that is a pretty decent clip for a metro our size.

Good call! 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if any of these AWS data centers will be located in the Richmond area (i.e. eastern Henrico near QTS)?  Wish this article would have already included the selected sites.  At any rate, this could be good news for the area, especially since NOVA areas are fighting these places off. Their loss could be Richmond’s gain!

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/amazon-web-services-to-invest-35b-in-va-data-center-campuses/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

I wonder if any of these AWS data centers will be located in the Richmond area (i.e. eastern Henrico near QTS)?  Wish this article would have already included the selected sites.  At any rate, this could be good news for the area, especially since NOVA areas are fighting these places off. Their loss could be Richmond’s gain!

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/amazon-web-services-to-invest-35b-in-va-data-center-campuses/

Here's where the Greater Richmond Partnership, the mayor's office, the governor's office, the city's economic development office, among many many other local government, civic and business leaders, state delegates, state senators - heck - local CONGRESSIONAL representatives for that matter - NEED to step up and put on a FULL COURT PRESS to get at least one of these AWS centers located in metro Richmond. Perhaps the economic development folks for Henrico County could really take the lead on this, given the presence of data centers in the Sandston/Varina area. Landing one or more of these campuses would be a HUGE win for metro RVA!

This NEEDS to happen!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2