Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

Well the city has lots stacked against it. There's nothing positive about those issues. Apparently it's harder to resolve than talking about it. Businesses run away from the city because of all the poor. Look at the east end and look at southside about Blackwell and Bellemeade and the strips along Hull. Who wants to deal with that? Then you have the city itself which overtaxes everything and makes it near impossible for business to get done. Then the city itself is very hard to deal with. Where's the positive. You bet it's a half glass!

The Mayor's Vision Newsletter has just arrived, and in his inimitable arrogant style he lambastes Greater Richmond Partnership, and especially, its director, Greg Wingfield. Since I don't know how to link, I'll summarize what he says:

Despite payments in excess of $3.6 million since 1997 to Greater Richmond Partnership the City has gotten very little for its expenditure, implies Wilder. He goes on to say:

"GRP Director Gregory Wingfield in January blamed violent crime as the reason why the Partnership has produced little if anything for the City - and yet under Police Chief Rodney Monroe's leadership, crime is steadily going down."

(No mention is made of 50+ murders ranking the City up there with the bloodiest in the Country).

"So what are we getting for our money?"

(Now here's the juicy part).

"GRP dare not take credit for any jobs resulting from the Virginia Biotech Park, the new Phillip Morris research facility, or the Hilton Hotel project in Downtown. We know who is responsible for all that, don't we?"

(Well, some of us thought credit was due to VCU and the Park's Director Mr. Skunda, Mark Warner, Calvin Jameson and probably GRP's Wingfield, if memory serves.)

He finishes with this salvo:

"More recently, we hear disparaging remarks about the City's economic development efforts from officials of the very orginazation receiving millions over the years to bring new jobs and business here. Just as the City does not believe it makes sense or is ethical for lawyers to sue the City in some cases and then try to represent the City's interest in others, we also will not tolerate a lack of support by organizations that are paid to produce results - yet fail to uphold the interest of the City."

So, it looks like curtains for the GRP/City collaboration.

Edited by burt

Most likely they wouldn't locate in the city anyway. The city is too poor for businesses liking.

But what can be done? Should everything sail through City Hall? How could they help make things run smoother?

Man, the city is changing and anything major for development (ALWAYS) has to go up before the government office of any place. There is no real good and watchful way to make this a smoother process. The city is poor but, the city is still in the center of the region, so the city still has a go chance. Plus don't forget, downtown has alot of old building that would cost money to bring down, so it's cheaper to do it in the county were nothing a first was at. So most of the time, it not the city is poor, it's the jibs coming to the city are cheap.

Richmond Law Firm expands presence to Los Angeles

Hunton and Williams is adding a new office, this time in LA

The Richmond-based law firm's operations there will be led by a litigation team from O'Donnell & Mortimer, a small firm in Los Angeles that has represented clients such as Pfizer Inc., Conoco Phillips and Lockheed Martin....

Los Angeles will be Hunton & Williams' 13th office in the U.S. and its 18th worldwide. The firm has more than 850 lawyers.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Here's a copy of the recent Competitive Analysis Report done by the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce...

It shows comparisons between Richmond's MSA and Nashville and Jacksonville. We fair very well against those peer cities according to the statistics in the report.

2006 Richmond Competitive Analysis Report (pdf file)

Also, the announcement of site selection for the MWV is about a month away

MeadWestvaco Decision is Near

Eventually, 600 to 700 people will work at MeadWestvaco's headquarters, a company spokeswoman said this week.

Luke said the company chose the Richmond area because it is an "energetic and vibrant community," with an excellent quality of life and education system, a talented work force and a low cost of doing business.

"We attached the highest priority to a pro-business climate," Luke told about 200 business and political leaders at the meeting. That is important, he said, because the global marketplace is "ruthless" and changing.

The Mayor's Vision Newsletter has just arrived, and in his inimitable arrogant style he lambastes Greater Richmond Partnership, and especially, its director, Greg Wingfield. Since I don't know how to link, I'll summarize what he says:

Despite payments in excess of $3.6 million since 1997 to Greater Richmond Partnership the City has gotten very little for its expenditure, implies Wilder. He goes on to say:

"GRP Director Gregory Wingfield in January blamed violent crime as the reason why the Partnership has produced little if anything for the City - and yet under Police Chief Rodney Monroe's leadership, crime is steadily going down."

(No mention is made of 50+ murders ranking the City up there with the bloodiest in the Country).

"So what are we getting for our money?"

(Now here's the juicy part).

"GRP dare not take credit for any jobs resulting from the Virginia Biotech Park, the new Phillip Morris research facility, or the Hilton Hotel project in Downtown. We know who is responsible for all that, don't we?"

(Well, some of us thought credit was due to VCU and the Park's Director Mr. Skunda, Mark Warner, Calvin Jameson and probably GRP's Wingfield, if memory serves.)

He finishes with this salvo:

"More recently, we hear disparaging remarks about the City's economic development efforts from officials of the very orginazation receiving millions over the years to bring new jobs and business here. Just as the City does not believe it makes sense or is ethical for lawyers to sue the City in some cases and then try to represent the City's interest in others, we also will not tolerate a lack of support by organizations that are paid to produce results - yet fail to uphold the interest of the City."

So, it looks like curtains for the GRP/City collaboration.

Style comments today on this Visions Newsletter and rebuts it in some ways similarly to my interspersed comments.

Richmond's Mayor is one piece of egotistical work, IMO.

Edited by burt

A group of Wichita, Kansas officials and business leaders spent a few days in Richmond last week. They were impressed with VCU's positive impact on the city as well as the Biotech Park and rejuvenation in parts of downtown. "We're impressed by Richmond", said Lyndon Wells of Wichita's Intrust Bank who is also Chairman of Wichita's Chamber of Commerce which sponsored the familiarization tour. He continued praising Richmond by adding, "This is a dynamic city that has worked hard to improve itself."

Edited by burt

A group of Wichita, Kansas officials and business leaders spent a few days in Richmond last week. They were impressed with VCU's positive impact on the city as well as the Biotech Park and rejuvenation in parts of downtown. "We're impressed by Richmond", said Lyndon Wells of Wichita's Intrust Bank who is also Chairman of Wichita's Chamber of Commerce which sponsored the familiarization tour. He continued praising Richmond by adding, "This is a dynamic city that has worked hard to improve itself."

Wichita's population is nearly twice Richmond's. However Wichita's downtown is half the size of Richmond's.

And Richmond's Metro population is about three times the size of Wichita's.

Very true. Wichita does not have much in the way of suburbs. However the city's population has been increasing for decades. Hopefully Richmond's population will do the same.

Yeah, and its newest highrise was built in 1989.

That highrise is Wichita's tallest... which is a lot shorter than Richmond's tallest.

According to a piece in today's TD, Mead/Westvaco has chosen a Glen Allen address for its web site. www.meadwestvaco.com but when I visited the site, I didn't see any address at all.

It doesn't mean that Glen Allen has been selected as its headquarters. Besides, I've never been able to figure out the boundaries of Glen Allen. In my youth, it used to be the area between US 1 and Rt. 33 (Staples Mill Road) and north of Parham (which wasn't there in my teen years).

Why do you suppose my typing of M/Wv's site didn't highlight itself? Guess I'll go out still not understanding computers. As Tennessee Williams wrote, "I rely on the kindness of strangers." :lol: