Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

I'm honored to be the first to post the news though I suspect a couple people here were in the know on who would win the MWV bid. Congratulations to downtown Richmond for yet another big victory in its continued renaissance! :yahoo:

Times Dispatch - Company chooses downtown for HQ

Isn't this the first announcement on these pages, Ibjust? Sorry if I'm not giving credit where it's due. Anyway, we're all rejoicing. :yahoo:

Isn't this the first announcement on these pages, Ibjust? Sorry if I'm not giving credit where it's due. Anyway, we're all rejoicing. :yahoo:

No he was referring to you calling him "Ibjust" instead of "Jbjust"...which you just did again. :)

Edited by eandslee

Drumroll please...

mwvHQ.jpg

This is an early concept for the design...

Not too bad considering it's pretty much a box, but like you said, this should just be a small part of larger development on that property. I'm really interested to see what else will go on that site. So far we have a fairly large parking deck and now the MWV building. That building won't even take up a fourth of that whole site. There has to be much, much more going there than what we know about already. Can't wait to find out more!

Burt,

Just because the Mayor made a nice comment, does not mean that the reporting was false. His history would say otherwise. Frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't take full credit like he did for the PM Research Center. Hopefully, he is learning to be a team player.

Regardless, I will not let the mayor spoil the good news.

Burt,

Just because the Mayor made a nice comment, does not mean that the reporting was false. His history would say otherwise. Frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't take full credit like he did for the PM Research Center. Hopefully, he is learning to be a team player.

Regardless, I will not let the mayor spoil the good news.

I guess since he did not get his stacked council he is warming to projects. I just hope he doesn't listen to some who want to trim Carpenter Center plans and redo the building in spurts and give up on the southeast quardrant.

A green roof there would be very high profile because it would be seen by all of us in the upper floors of office buildings downtown. Unlike the Sun Trust Building, which I doubt many people have ever seen.

scottb??? Is that you? It sure sounds like it. If that is you, stop hiding behind another name. I promise I will not pee in your cheerios if that is you.

-_-

I miss Scottb, though he never contibuted here.

I had a wonderful evening at Haunts of Richmond with which I think he has connections. They offer a "spook" presentation in a nifty space on the ground floor of Market Villas on 18th between Main and Franklin. And also offer walking tours led by costumed guides of nearby old Richmond buildings.

They operate Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights beginning at about 7PM and appear to be doing good business.

Take a friend some evening then dine at Juleps, Jacquemo's, Havana 59 or Old City Bar after. You'll enjoy it.

Edited by burt

It's important to note though that the city did play a big role in this news:

Richmond is providing matching funds for a $2 million grant from the state and has offered an additional $3 million in grant funding.

That's good to hear because I don't think it was mentioned in the RTD article.

Not ScottB, sorry.

Looking at the local.live.com birdseye view, how great would it be if they could somehow build pedestrian access (e.g. a pedestrian bridge over Byrd St.) from this site to Kanawha Plaza. Would make for an easy way for us downtowners to take stroll to the river during lunch. It would be even better if they could convert the surface lot between the James Center and the Dominion Building into a park so as to make a string of connected parks running from the heart of downtown to the Fondry Park area.

Edited by jbjust