Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

It's important to note though that the city did play a big role in this news:

Richmond is providing matching funds for a $2 million grant from the state and has offered an additional $3 million in grant funding.

Corporate Welfare!!!!! White Elephant!@!!!!!!! Don't Build On The River!!!@#!!!! The View!!!!

Trying to keep the scottb theme going...........

Edited by Henry

I wish Dominion would, as promised, bring their Innsbrook employees downtown and put them in a new tower on that triangular lot with plenty of parking under it.

Why would Dominion want to build a tower that has raised the ire of Oregon Hill under their noses when it has that perfectly wonderful lot next to its other tower at 8th/9th and Cary/Canal?

On the other hand, the lot, while ugly close up, provides a wonderful vista to those northbound on the Manchester bridge.

Jefferson Hotel is 5-star 5-diamond again

Very Prestigious!

The Mobil Travel Guide has awarded The Jefferson Hotel in Richmond its prestigious five-star rating for the seventh consecutive year. The list contains only 37 hotels, inns and resorts throughout North America....

Only 27 North American properties boast both five-star and five-diamond ratings....

It's definitely worthy of the honors too!

Jefferson Hotel is 5-star 5-diamond again

Very Prestigious!

It's definitely worthy of the honors too!

That's very good news, indeed. The Jefferson's premier restaurant Lemaire has a 5-diamond (AAA) award still, but not a 5-star from Mobil

The Hermitage in Nashville, Mobil's newest 5-star hotel, is also owned by Bill Goodwin's Richmond company.

There are only 37 Mobil 5-star hotels in North America. Only 27 across the continent share Mobil 5-star AND AAA 5-Diamond ratings. Richmond is the among the list of 27.

That's pretty damned impressive!

Edited by burt

There is a very interesting story in today's TD about Tree Hill Farm. There will be a week-long seminar at The Jefferson to discuss development of the property.

Coupe tried to teach me how to cut and paste, even with some success, but I don't trust myself to transfer this good story. I believe its in the Metro section.

There's a map of Tree Hill Farm's location on the James and it appears as if it will almost abut Rocketts Landing.

By the way, if anybody has been on City Hall's OD lately, looking east there appears to be a large mound of earth several miles in the distance. A man on the deck told me it is Henrico landfill site, but didn't know the location. He also pointed out that the airport is sort of at one o'clock from up there. I had been looking toward 3 o'clock. Either spot, you can't see it.

Richmond Deep Water Terminal now has six ocean-going vessels calling every month - that's up from four. A line based in Iceland has joined one in Belgium making Richmond their inland USA port. The Port Director said he's been waiting 15 years to watch two large container ships passing one another in the James River at Richmond, and it finally happened.

The Building Permits column has more info on refitting space for tenants in the Bank of America Building at 12th and Main. Seems to me every week there is something in that column about B/A space being filled.

I noticed one night that the top four or five floors were completely dark while the rest of the building was totally lit up. Maybe it's filling gradually.

Edited by burt

There is a very interesting story in today's TD about Tree Hill Farm. There will be a week-long seminar at The Jefferson to discuss development of the property.

Coupe tried to teach me how to cut and paste, even with some success, but I don't trust myself to transfer this good story. I believe its in the Metro section.

There's a map of Tree Hill Farm's location on the James and it appears as if it will almost abut Rocketts Landing.

By the way, if anybody has been on City Hall's OD lately, looking east there appears to be a large mound of earth several miles in the distance. A man on the deck told me it is Henrico landfill site, but didn't know the location. He also pointed out that the airport is sort of at one o'clock from up there. I had been looking toward 3 o'clock. Either spot, you can't see it.

Brainstorming for Tree Hill Farm

:thumbsup:

As I've posted elsewhere, I'll be able to go to all the meetings except Friday's. I love the farm and hope it could be developed respectfully.

And yes that giant mound of earth is the landfill off Charles City Rd. You can also see it from near the Nabisco plant on S. Laburnam... and talk about a good smelling area! Nothing like the smell of Nilla Waffers in the air!

Edited by Cadeho

Thanks for bringing that over, Coupe.

The map can give an idea of how a connector road off I-895 can provide easy access to Richmond International Airport.

Did I tell you guys about the marinas further down Osborne Tpk? One of them, the nearer one to the city, has been landscaped and turned into a public park for boat-launching, fishing, and picnicing. There were lots of boats tied up there - some of them quite large.

The other Marina (with the word "deep" in its name) is further along Osborne. A public road leads to it, but the feeling is "private" with neat little houses along the winding lane. There are a number of boats here, too.

I don't know if many of you are aware of the great housing stock in the area. The Civil War Battlefield parks have beautiful homes on the residential roads entertwined among the breastworks. Then there's Malvern, Ft. Harrison and Ft. Darling and one of them is on a bluff overlooking the James. It's a nice outing.

I know we're getting off topic, but I had taken pics at Osborne Landing a year ago but I didn't share them because the sun was in my way and backlit everything so that it was unrecognizable. But the Deep Bottom pics I have posted, probably at the other place. I love going there to watch the river, boaters, and jetskiers. It's so quiet there that it's a great getaway. It's off Kingsland Rd... and what's odd is Kingsland exists on both sides of the James, the western part is in Chesterfield while the eastern is in henrico. I wonder if they predate the founding of Chesterfield or if it's coinsidence.