Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

All Va needs now is for Capital One to buy every bank in Charlotte, then relocate its HQ to downtown Richmond... dream...

Explain to me the difference bewteeen the classes.

Class A space is in newer buildings such as James Center and Riverfront Plaza. Class B iuncludes buildings such as The Mutual, Travelers, Southern States, First & Merchants, CNB and many more older downtown high rises.

I'm pretty sure old, old places can be charming as offices. They did have them in the Lee House although that was RHF. I remember Dr. Murrell has his office in the corner house at 1st and Grace. But I guess smaller businesses and practices make those places home best.

The Lee House is actually currently home to the Richmond Homebuilders Association.

Wouldn't a building have to have a minimum square footage to be among classified (A or B) business structures?

There are a number of old homes that have business occupants. At least three on 5th street and one or two on South 3rd, not to mention many in Jackson and Monroe Wards. When you stop to think of it, Richmond has a plethora of old buildings converted to business use. In fact, when you consider all of them and include The Bottom and Tobacco Row, it's doubtful you'd find many Southern cities, besides Savannah, Charleton and New Orleans, to equal Richmond's conservation efforts. The Northeast is a different situation all together; Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Boston, New York City and lots of other places teem with Revolutionary and Civil War preserved buildings.

Edited by burt

Not good news? This is great news! Crosland has been working with Chesterfield on a master plan for the site for about a year. They have some good experience in new urbanism projects. The link I read said that they will submit their formal plan to the county next week, so they must know what they want to do with it. I'm curious as to who the lead tenant is.. which will be named at the meeting next week.

Here's an interesting story about grants from the Kresge Foundation:

Well, damn. My cut and past technique didn't work this time.

Anyway, it's a story by Bob Rayner in today's Business section about matching donations to the Meals on Wheels program in Richmond, and to The Visual Arts Center in the old Virginia Dairy Building on West Main near Lombardy.

Hmmmmm. Wonder what I did wrong? It worked this morning on another story.

Edited by burt

Looks like the city of Richmond is gonna lose the Museum of Confederacy to Lexington VA

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...d=1149192815336

I fail to understand the resistence to adding the museum's collection to those already in place at Tredegar if they feel it is imperative to move.

Have they investigated placing their artifacts in Virginia Historical Society's newly enlarged Museum?

Lexington is a charming, historic city with an old 1840's court house coming on the market. But it was not the Capital of the Confederacy, for crying out loud!.

I think the stats that shows Richmond losing residents is over a broader period than recent findings. I was under the impression that the City actually gained last year for the first time. However, over a longer period the gain was not enough to reverse years of decline

It's official: Cloverleaf will bite the dust. Crosland of Charlotte has agreed to buy the mall and will raze it by 2008. A new complex called Chippenham Place will contain 200,000 s/f of commercial space and about 500 residential units. Kroger will be an anchor with a new 83,000 s/f store. Opening should be in 2011.

See today's story from the Times Dispatch below. It was compiled by TD writers Meredith Bonny and Greg Gilligan.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

Edited by burt