Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

Here's an update from today's inRich about Boulevard Square -- BowTie Corp's plan for 16 stadium cinemas at Leigh and North Boulevard.

I think, with so much discussion about baseball, a new arena and redevelopment along the Boulevard, we ought to consolidate Sports and Diamond threads, bring in Boulevard Square news and called it Boulevard Development thread. Thoughts?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/content/cva/r...07-04-0084.html

Burt. I am good friends with the Bostwicks. My best friend goes to Collegiate with the Bostwicks son. But yea I never really knew that their company was that big.

This is :offtopic: , but given your interest and knowledge of sports, Joey, why don't you approach Sports Backers Assn about interning with them for the summer? Maybe you already have a summer job.

Cam you need to learn that people on the West End are not as bad as you think. I mean you think the West End is like full of Snobs and Muckity Mucks. But really there are some very nice people on the west end. You need to learn to accept the west end and not have hatred towards it. I mean what If I said the same thing about your side of town? Cam I just hope you realize the big picture one day and not just see one area of town as oh Im gonna hate on this side of town and say ya I think my end of town is better. You seem to have Beef with everything.

Cam you need to learn that people on the West End are not as bad as you think. I mean you think the West End is like full of Snobs and Muckity Mucks. But really there are some very nice people on the west end. You need to learn to accept the west end and not have hatred towards it. I mean what If I said the same thing about your side of town? Cam I just hope you realize the big picture one day and not just see one area of town as oh Im gonna hate on this side of town and say ya I think my end of town is better. You seem to have Beef with everything.

Yes, it is better than my end of town, atleast. I hate Southside :(

Virginia has been named #1 by Forbes.com in its "Best States for Business" report, according to Jeff Kelley and J. R. Blackwell in their story on July 12th in the Times Dispatch.

It's the second year in a row Virginia has ranked first.

Edited by burt

Richmond's in the big time with this convention! Here's hoping Jack Berry and his people will make sure that other groups of prominence looking for convention space get blanketed with publicity about this one. From my experience in dealing with GRCC personnel, they are difficult to contact and, seemingly, not too interested in possible leads.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/content/cva/r...07-14-0111.html

• 2 weeks later...

A new Director for Economic Development, a post that has seen considerable turn-around in the last couple of years. Hopefully, this gentleman will make all the right moves toward moving the city ahead. From today's TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-29-0147.html

Here's a terrific TD story about all the new residential/commercial development occurring in the Fan on West CaryStreet:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news/...07-29-0121.html

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond-based CRT/Tanaka chosen as top PR firm for Sprint Nextel

The Richmond-based public-relations company said yesterday that Sprint has selected it as the wireless provider's lead PR firm. CRT/tanaka will work with Sprint corporate communications and three other marketing firms to offer guidance on public relations, including campaigns on the Web and in other new media areas such as viral or "buzz" marketing....

CRT/tanaka was formerly Carter Ryley Thomas until it acquired New York PR agency Patrice Tanaka & Co. Inc. in late 2005. In addition to Richmond, the independent firm of about 75 employees has offices in New York, Los Angeles and Norfolk.

Fee revenue is on track this year to reach $11 million, Raper said. Other clients are Target Corp., Capital One Financial Corp., Philip Morris USA and Charles Schwab & Co.

It seems that Richmond has a strong advertising/PR industry for a city its size given CRT/Tanaka, Martin Agency (Geico, UPS, etc), and other firm's successes.

Here's another upbeat report about the big National convention being held this weekend at GRCC:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....07-15-0195.html

Hillary Clinton comes in Tuesday to speak to convention delegates. That will create a lot of press traffic downtown.

I know its a little bit late to mention this, but my boss volunteered as a guide/greeter at the convention and she showed me the restaurant list she was provided to give to convention-goers. The list had all the good spots in the west end, southside, northside, midlothian, carytown/museum district, fan, and downtown. Oddly, according to this list, which included a map, there are no decent restaurants east of 11th street. I was dumbfounded! Not a single establishment in the Slip, the Bottom, Church Hill, or the east end was included. I would guess that at least a third of Richmond's finest establishments were omitted. I certainly hope a supplemental list was added, because visitors from all of the country could have gotten the wrong impression of the city's dining scene.

That posting should go in the dining out thread, mcLaw. You're right, though. They missed listing a lot of good places..one of the best (SENSI) among them.

We looked into SKYY Friday night. It was crowded and looked pretty neat. I wanted to stay but I had an old lady with me whose knees were killing her, so we went home. Didn't even get a chance to tour the galleries after dinner at 27.