Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

You'd better be around burt! I don't know what this message board would be without ya! You are in fairly good health right? Based on how much you travel, I think you are and should be able to enjoy the new VMFA and RCS with ease. If you ever think you're going...please give us a "heads up" otherwise we're probably never going to know...other than your absence here. Just don't plan on doing that anytime soon! We need ya bro! :thumbsup:

Unless it's sudden and fast, I'll try to remember to give a heads-up, Eric. :lol:

Meanwhile, as Cam points out, the old boy still has plenty of spirit.

Richmond Ranks 3rd Best City in U.S. for Business

:)

The Top 10:

1. Minneapolis

2. Denver

3. Richmond

4. Boston

5. Charlotte

6. Nashville

7. Washington D.C.

8. New York

9. Birmingham

10. San Francisco

The rankings were for the 50 largest metros in the country. Our Virginia counterparts in NOVA came in 7th (DC Region) while our counterparts in Hampton Roads ranked 42nd.

Richmond continues to impress me in these economic rankings. Most of them point to the same thing, namely, that Richmond's local economy is pretty darn robust.

ALRIGHT!! lets go richmond!

why do you think there isnt more growth? like highrises and such? what are these rankings based off of? like maybe traffic, schools and things like that or just economy? why isnt nyc and LA above richmond? Very happy to see that virginia has somthing like this.

Our growth seems to be spreading out than up. I do wish a lot of the new businesses locating here would choose downtown over the sprawling campuses in the suburbs. Perhaps the trend will change and the building boom to reflect this will continue for downtown.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but in January 2008 Altria, parent company of Philip Morris USA, will announce plans of their move from Manhattan, NY to the Richmond area.

Stay tuned?

Oh yeah, Shak. We've tossed that around for pages. And most of us speculate that they will occupy space in the Alcoa building and perhaps another building that is under construction next to the Westin Hotel at Reynolds Crossings.

Edited by burt

I think this is a terrifically uplifting story about the revitalization of apartment buildings along Richmond's Boulevard. It is in today's Times Dispatch:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...09-30-0091.html

Correct my German, but when I was a kid The Boulevard was referred to as Richmond's Unter den Linden, the famous throrughfare in Berlin, because it was lined with Linden trees from Broad Street to Byrd Park. The Lindens have given way to Crepe Myrtle in the median.

Sadly, the region is losing 200 more high paid jobs. Saxon Capital (Morgan Stanley) abruptly announced to its workers at the Innsbrook office that their services no longer would be needed. Corporate consolidation will center on Irving (Dallas), Texas.

This year's drain on Richmond's work force, despite move-ins at PM and M/WV and Altria, are disquieting to say the least.

What is especially galling is that two of the recent departure announcements are at companies that had their roots in Richmond before mergers. It's beginning to sound like the great bank takeover by Carolina all over again, except the new culprits are St.Louis and Dallas.

We can only hope these developments are a temporary glitch and that the tide will turn.

Sadly, the region is losing 200 more high paid jobs. Saxon Capital (Morgan Stanley) abruptly announced to its workers at the Innsbrook office that their services no longer would be needed. Corporate consolidation will center on Irving (Dallas), Texas.

This year's drain on Richmond's work force, despite move-ins at PM and M/WV and Altria, are disquieting to say the least.

What is especially galling is that two of the recent departure announcements are at companies that had their roots in Richmond before mergers. It's beginning to sound like the great bank takeover by Carolina all over again, except the new culprits are St.Louis and Dallas.

We can only hope these developments are a temporary glitch and that the tide will turn.

Judging from Coupe's stats above, I am inclined to lean towards the blip formula. How can 3 of the top MSA's all be in or directly associated with Virginia if it isnt a good place to work and be? I would have to say we replace those jobs in a heartbeat. People are still head-hunting for people to fill jobs in the area...

Id say we are extremely lucky that the state and local governments are so accomodating to business and consumers.

Are those the ones we can see from 95 going southbound? I never thought of those as "rundown."

I think they are behind John Marshall High School, from the location mentioned in the story.

PS: I'm wrong. They are beyond Azalea according to the story. I would guess to the east of that motel on Chamberlayne Road (US301) that I think was called Virginia Inn when it was build back in the '60's.

Edited by burt

I need to look in the paper, but I think those are south of Azalea. I think I know the place... my great grandmother used to live there when I was little! I had a friend over there a few years ago. That's good news.

I need to look in the paper, but I think those are south of Azalea. I think I know the place... my great grandmother used to live there when I was little! I had a friend over there a few years ago. That's good news.

Joey, the paper does say NORTH of Azalea, so it's not where I originally thought it was.

Joey, the paper does say NORTH of Azalea, so it's not where I originally thought it was.

:( How dare you Burt?!

I have an idea of what the article is talking about though. My aunt was afraid of me visiting that friend there. I am glad the bad is being smoked out.