Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

Here are some items I found interesting in the Building Permits column of today's inRich:

Foundry Park I LLC owner; Whiting-Turner Contracting Co., contractor; 501 S. 5th St., foundation permit only, Phase I and concrete structure, Phase II, $15.3 million.

Sidney and Ann Richmon; 1210 and a half E. Cary St., tenant upfit, $75,000.

Biotech8 LLC, 737 N. Fifth St., tenant fitup for office, $772,095.

Property 1647 LLC, owner; Virginia Restoration and Construction, contractor; 1647 W. Broad St., alterations, $374,000.

Triangle Building LLC, owner: MGT Construction Management, contractor; 310 N. Adams St., tenant upfit of office, $105,422.

Gerald L. and Anne E. Cooper, owners; RDH & Associates LLC, contractor; 2310 W. Cary St., alteration to office, $205,000.

Hines Riverfront Plaza LP, owner; Century Construction Company Inc, contractor; 951 E. Byrd St., alterations to office, $458,910.

Virginia Holocaust Museum, owner; International Roofing Corp., contractor; 2000 E. Cary St., alterations $178,190.

Margaret Freund will present a proposal to the city to build about 32 townhouses on the top of the hill overlooking Fulton Bottom. The development would be at the end of the 3700 block of East Broad (the dead end portion at Chimborazzo Park) and also at the end of East Marshall Street.

I was driving down West Broad today near the Science Museum and noticed an area where demolition is occurring. Looking in my rear view mirror I realized that the McDonald's was no longer there so I'm assuming that the one at 2700 W. Broad has been ripped down. Anyone have the scoop on that? Are they putting in a newer/nice replacement or is it a new owner altogether?

I was driving down West Broad today near the Science Museum and noticed an area where demolition is occurring. Looking in my rear view mirror I realized that the McDonald's was no longer there so I'm assuming that the one at 2700 W. Broad has been ripped down. Anyone have the scoop on that? Are they putting in a newer/nice replacement or is it a new owner altogether?

I tried to stop by that same McD's last week (or maybe the week before..) and there were signs up in the windows that indicated they were remodeling. I didn't realize they were tearing it down, though!

I read recently that the present McDonald's is being demolished and a new, much larger one will replace it on the original site as well as on adjacent property. Some nearby businesses were bought and closed to facilitate the erection of a new McDonalds in the 2700 block of West Broad.

I read recently that the present McDonald's is being demolished and a new, much larger one will replace it on the original site as well as on adjacent property. Some nearby businesses were bought and closed to facilitate the erection of a new McDonalds in the 2700 block of West Broad.

Well I'm not a huge fan of McDonald's (though you can't beat the 99 cent double cheeseburger) but it will be nice to see that area spruced up a bit. I wonder how big it's going to be? With the Children's Museum and Science Museum right there I'm sure it is or soon will be a popular stop for families. Hopefully they put in a cool Play Place ;)

The McDonalds near the Staples Mill Amtrak station is also being demolished and rebuilt.

That is disappointing to hear that Rainbow Donuts had to vacate. I hope they return near by. Krispy Kreme is just too sweet for me, and Dunkin' Donuts seems to be on the endangered species list down here.

Has anyone heard when Verizon will move from Main Street Center to the old C&P building at 7th and Grace? I heard that they plan a major renovation to the building.

If true this is pretty interesting. With all the development going on at the river and Broad/Grace, the financial district is getting left behind. If The Centennial doesn't happen this area could become the hole in downtown.

The McDonalds near the Staples Mill Amtrak station is also being demolished and rebuilt.

That is disappointing to hear that Rainbow Donuts had to vacate. I hope they return near by. Krispy Kreme is just too sweet for me, and Dunkin' Donuts seems to be on the endangered species list down here.

I had seen the news about Rainbow Donuts having to close some time ago. When I recently went by and saw they were still open, I thought maybe whatever deal was forcing them out had fallen through. Given that they were closed when I noticed the closed McD's, I guess my timeframe was all screwed up.

I didn't realize the closing was due to McD's expanding, though...

If true this is pretty interesting. With all the development going on at the river and Broad/Grace, the financial district is getting left behind. If The Centennial doesn't happen this area could become the hole in downtown.

Coupe says that Verizon doesn't occupy the whole of Main Street Plaza and, in fact, I think he said there is not a large number of employees involved. I got my info about the move from a source who I have reason to believe knows whereof it speaks. But, you never can tell; things do change. And PS: Despite ominous goings-on at 6th and Main, I still have faith in Goodstein as I've stated in the Centennial thread numerous times. Also, BowTie as far as we know still owns the full city block nearby.

What DOES the Alcoa sale portend for Richmond? The company had 1300 full-time employees in the area as of January '07.

Ideally, The Rank Group, Ltd. of New Zealand would abandon the factory on the canal walk and transfer workers to the Alcoa plant off Reymet Road east of I-95 and south of Willis Road in Chesterfield County. Logistically, the downtown location has its drawbacks from a standpoint of manufacturing, flexibility and distribution. It would be a terrible blow to workers' and the area's economy should all Virginia locations be shuttered. Besides Richmond, Alcoa has operations in South Boston and Grottoes in the Commonwealth.

If the factory between 10th and Virginia Streets were to go on the real estate market, are there potential buyers that would develop the property in a beneficial way?

Edited by burt

A few weeks ago, the RTD had a building permit for McDonalds and the Insurance company which also contained Rainbow Donuts, to be demolished for a new McDonald's. I was amazed to see how quickly they tore those buildings down.

I have frequented Rainbow Donuts for years. His donuts kicked butt!! There was just something about those Bear Claws. Show up at work with a couple of boxes of Rainbow Donuts and you could come in late all week. :P He will be sorely missed. IMO, it's too bad that the new facility will not be an enlarged Rainbow Donuts instead of a new McDonald's. The service was 100% better that's for sure.

Anyone know what's going on at the old Julian's (AAA building) across the street? They, too, had a building permit approved in the RTD about a month ago.

A few weeks ago, the RTD had a building permit for McDonalds and the Insurance company which also contained Rainbow Donuts, to be demolished for a new McDonald's. I was amazed to see how quickly they tore those buildings down.

I have frequented Rainbow Donuts for years. His donuts kicked butt!! There was just something about those Bear Claws. Show up at work with a couple of boxes of Rainbow Donuts and you could come in late all week. :P He will be sorely missed. IMO, it's too bad that the new facility will not be an enlarged Rainbow Donuts instead of a new McDonald's. The service was 100% better that's for sure.

Anyone know what's going on at the old Julian's (AAA building) across the street? They, too, had a building permit approved in the RTD about a month ago.

I passed by there tonight and said... something's missing! I noticed the MCDonald's gone and I was coming here to ask what was going there... McDonald's have been demolishing and rebuilding with their new design lately.

This latest piece about the buy-out of Alcoa leaves me with the feeling that the Canal Walk plant will soon be history. The inRich story doesn't say anything definite, but when The Rank Group sends e-mails to employees assuring financial security for a year, it sort of leaves the future up in the air:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...12-23-0185.html

Here's an interesting item from Commercial Notes in today's inRich:

"GVA Advantis reports the sale of a 6,440 s/f office building at 6 S. 5th Street for $823,500 to Royal Flush Properties from DRQ. Charles Polk represented the buyer."

Could this be the Pollard and Bagby building on 5th between Main and Cary, and could its sale in anyway relate to nearby Centennial Tower? Perhaps Goodstein's proposed construction is increasing nearby land values.