Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

16 hours ago, Brent114 said:

My takeaway from this is that remote working will go away with the pandemic.  That’s good for downtown right? 

For the most part I agree. 

Up here in the DMV, people are slowly but surely returning to the office.  Evidence is the morning and evening commute is starting to get busy and noticing more office lights on.

• Like 1

Just now, Shakman said:

For the most part I agree. 

Up here in the DMV, people are slowly but surely returning to the office.  Evidence is the morning and evening commute is starting to get busy and noticing more office lights on.

I think that it will be a hybrid -- something like two days at home three in the office.  Companies will move towards more shared workspaces, thereby reducing their footprints.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I think that it will be a hybrid -- something like two days at home three in the office.  Companies will move towards more shared workspaces, thereby reducing their footprints.  

You may be onto something here, this is from an architecture firm in VT,  used to know some people there,  and a blog from an architect that talks about this exact concept.

https://truexcullins.com/2021/01/21/back-to-work-in-2021/

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Nice! That should be the old building next to Ryan Home's Belle Heights.  That'll help continue the clean up of the Semmes/US 1 intersection.

That should be a marquee intersection -- gateway to southside/downtown depending on one's traveling direction.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

This is such good news.  I’m so excited by Manchester’s potential. It has the framework to become the coolest neighborhood in all of VA. 

Fully agreed. It is well on its way there. I forget exactly who it was during the Manchester forum who called it "the Brooklyn of Richmond" (parphrasing).

1 hour ago, whw53 said:
RTD just dropped an article on this with more detail. Work is to begin this month

https://richmond.com/business/custom-training-video-producer-relocating-headquarters-to-south-richmond-from-texas-adding-155-new-jobs/article_d0b58a9e-7993-5ed2-893f-6dfbffb6f0ea.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Thoughts from the CEO on the decision to move to Richmond. Good to see a fellow Highlander bring some business back home.

Besides, the company's CEO, Jim Smith, who is from the western part of Virginia and graduated from Radford University, "sees Richmond as the next Austin," Woolman said. "Richmond has had an unbelievable explosion of culture and growth and jobs."

Smith said in a statement: “Access to talent and higher education institutions, a vibrant entrepreneurial culture, local and state governments that get it, and just a super cool vibe that reminds me of Austin 10 years ago. I feel we can be a ‘Vytal’ member of the community and drive growth that draws the extended reality industry as a whole to a home in Virginia.”

And we know Austin has enjoyed explosive population growth. It's definitely a big city (of course, it's overshadowed by Houston, Dallas and, to a lesser extent, San Antonio. But still... it went from small to medium to big in a hurry!

2 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

It’s nice to see that a NC publication uses better stock photos of Richmond.  The local press wouldn’t pick such a flattering photo of downtown. 

Yes, but the main photo is old...Dominion Energy's tower isn't even built yet in that photo.  Agree that the perspective is very flattering!

• Like 1

Nice write up about Richmond and boutique markets investors should invest in. 

“There have been other companies in the past couple of years that have been willing to relocate to Richmond, and there just isn’t space of high-enough quality that can suit them. So, the city has actually lost out on companies.”

That means there’s likely room — albeit with a degree of risk — for speculative office development in Richmond."

https://www.loopnet.com/learn/among-emerging-real-estate-markets-bold-entrepreneurs-bank-on-boutique/862798042/?fbclid=IwAR2bGQHRe9MPrSCcMyUcz8ei9h2d_p0xDG5FPuB-NzZj9ZuMBeK4QQ6qhKY

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Of note, Richmond is by far the largest metro on the list, just barely squeaking into their range (estimates show us breaking 1.3 mil in 2018):

population (between 600,000 and 1.3 million)

4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Nice write up about Richmond and boutique markets investors should invest in. 

“There have been other companies in the past couple of years that have been willing to relocate to Richmond, and there just isn’t space of high-enough quality that can suit them. So, the city has actually lost out on companies.”

That means there’s likely room — albeit with a degree of risk — for speculative office development in Richmond."

https://www.loopnet.com/learn/among-emerging-real-estate-markets-bold-entrepreneurs-bank-on-boutique/862798042/?fbclid=IwAR2bGQHRe9MPrSCcMyUcz8ei9h2d_p0xDG5FPuB-NzZj9ZuMBeK4QQ6qhKY

Spec office is tough in Richmond and is even tougher with the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Spec office is tough in Richmond and is even tougher with the pandemic. 

Speaking of which...what's the latest status of the spec office space that is supposed to go up in Manchester (next to the 14-story apartment tower...South Falls?)?  Anyone know?

I know. I was just commenting on the article. You’re good 

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

Speaking of which...what's the latest status of the spec office space that is supposed to go up in Manchester (next to the 14-story apartment tower...South Falls?)?  Anyone know?

That’s not spec. They need a prelease commitment to get going. The Current, just up the street on Hull, is spec office and delivers this year 

Edited by wrldcoupe4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I know. I was just commenting on the article. You’re good 

That’s not spec. They need a release commitment to get going. The Current, just up the street on Hull, is spec office and delivers this year 

Thanks!  Is there a release commitment in the works?  What might be the timeline?  Sorry for all the questions...I'd  just like to know if this part of the project is going to get started anytime soon.