Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

4 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I always thought that corridor has a lot of potential if it wasn’t for Richmond Ford taking up what feels like half the distance.   

Willow Lawn needs to realize it’s potential and hurry up turning into an urban node.  

West Broad could wind up like RVA's version of Peachtree Street/Road in Atlanta.  High rises in the urban core, dense midrise development for long stretches, then another high(ish) rise areas in Reynolds Crossing and Innsbrook with Short Pump standing in for Phipps/Lennox.  This would take many years, but wouldn't be the worst outcome.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

City Councilmember wants to extend TOD zoning along Broad Street - Richmond BizSense

While not about any specific project, there is discussion about extending TOD on West Broad to the county line.  This would be great and shows that Richmond is embracing transit as a catalyst for development.

Good to see a council member taking charge on it to - could make it easier to get thru. Whereas planning staff has to abide by certain drawn out processes, justifications and community outreach expectations prior to sending a rezoning to council , i don't think that would apply since the effort is coming from someone already on council. Similar to cases where a private sector owner applies for rezoning - these often fly under the radar. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

West Broad could wind up like RVA's version of Peachtree Street/Road in Atlanta.  High rises in the urban core, dense midrise development for long stretches, then another high(ish) rise areas in Reynolds Crossing and Innsbrook with Short Pump standing in for Phipps/Lennox.  This would take many years, but wouldn't be the worst outcome.

I can absolutely see this as well. It's a very good analogy of what could be at some point in the future. Something like this absolutely would push the beefing up of mass transit and perhaps with at least some form of true rapid transit (light rail) being installed along the current Pulse corridor there.  I fully support upzoning - and for this area, it's something that's long overdue.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2021 at 8:05 PM, rjp212 said:

SunTrust Center just listed nearly 121.000 sf for lease spread throughout the building.  I know there's been an issue with relocations finding enough space, so hopefully this will help.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/919-E-Main-St-Richmond-VA/4104927/

Suntrust also just listed both their Business Center I and II near Innsbrook for sublease.   Over 250,000 sf combined.  

So how can this be converted into an advantage for RVA and not a liability? I realize the pandemic has forced a lot of changes in work practices - but if potential relo's have been sniffing the ground around RVA and passing because of lack of space, can this be used to our advantage in terms of business recruitment to the area? What needs to be done (as opposed to allowing all this open space to just sit around collecting dust)?

Edited by I miss RVA

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

So how can this be converted into an advantage for RVA and not a liability? I realize the pandemic has forced a lot of changes in work practices - but if potential relo's have been sniffing the ground around RVA and passing because of lack of space, can this be used to our advantage in terms of business recruitment to the area? What needs to be done (as opposed to allowing all this open space to just sit around collecting dust)?

It seems to allow for positives such as the huge BoA complex sale announced today:

The center marks Mapletree’s entrance to the Richmond and Virginia markets. Per its website, the firm has $6.6 billion in assets under management and more than 110 properties in Singapore and the U.S., over a dozen of which are data centers.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/26/bank-of-americas-multi-building-complex-in-henrico-sells-for-208m/

• Like 1

One of the big DC-area real estate firms is planting its flag in RVA!!! This is unquestionably a win - and really lends credence to the Richmond market being a hot go-to market for job growth and significant residential gains in spite of (or maybe more accurately, as a result of) the pandemic.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/29/big-nova-based-real-estate-brokerage-opening-office-at-libbie-mill/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Times-Dispatch: Grenova relocating from Manchester to just north of Scott's Addition- expanding and adding 250 new jobs.

https://richmond.com/business/watch-now-biotech-company-grenova-plans-10-6-million-relocation-and-expansion-in-richmond-creating/article_74c906e9-a909-5d27-9dd1-8e5dc3035f41.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Also, a lot of City properties are about to be the subject of redevelopment/development RFPs to include the Coliseum site, Fulton Gas Works, and City land on AA Boulevard.  This proposal will go before the City Council for vote during its next meeting on Monday!

https://richmond.com/news/local/richmond-city-council-panel-endorses-plan-to-offload-77-city-owned-properties/article_14b770c0-443f-5456-a36c-a2ae355c74cc.html

"BUT THE SCHOOLS!!!  Oh... wait... " :lol:

• Haha 3

Looks like the plan for the city to offload developable properties has been approved. Hopefully that means the ball will start rolling for some really good projects on these sites. So far, it appears that the office building planned for the old Public Safety building site is still being described as a 20-story tower. Obviously, since spec space appears to have been reduced, that might change - but who knows at this point. From RichmondBizSense: 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/04/27/council-adopts-plan-to-unload-77-city-owned-properties-including-coliseum/

• Like 1