New Jewish Temple in Lake Norman

voyager12

The Lake Norman Jewish Congregation is opening in Mooresville. Its based on Reform/Progressive Judaism. They interviewed the rabbi on WFAE this AM. Many people are surprised to hear how large the Jewish community is in Charlotte. Reform Temples Beth El where I attend and Conservative Temple Israel on Shalom Park's campus are constantly growing. It makes sense that a congregation would open in Lake Norman, its such a growing area drawing people from across the country. I don't think they would want to drive down to Shalom Park in SouthPark on a weekly basis. Let's hope this indicates more openings of authentic New Yawk Delis too :P

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lake Norman Jewish Congregation is opening in Mooresville. Its based on Reform/Progressive Judaism. They interviewed the rabbi on WFAE this AM. Many people are surprised to hear how large the Jewish community is in Charlotte. Reform Temples Beth El where I attend and Conservative Temple Israel on Shalom Park's campus are constantly growing. It makes sense that a congregation would open in Lake Norman, its such a growing area drawing people from across the country. I don't think they would want to drive down to Shalom Park in SouthPark on a weekly basis. Let's hope this indicates more openings of authentic New Yawk Delis too :P

Ummmmm, perhaps I am being a little over sensitive but why would a new temple being built signify that there may be an increase in "New Yawk Delis?" In case you didn't know, there have been Jewish familes in the south for generations. Not all are from New York.

My dear Lady Celeste. I am Jewish and my family has been in the South for generations as well. I have met many Charlotteans from New York and lots of other places. Some of them happen to own some delis in cities all over the South. I think I would know that not all Jews are from New York. So please don't lecture me on Jewish history. And drop the condescending attitude while you are at it.

.... So please don't lecture me on Jewish history. And drop the condescending attitude while you are at it.

Oh my. It's not good to insult other members on this site. Even worse when that party is a Moderator who is well respected by us all. :ph34r: I found her question to be quite legitimate.

That's really cool news:) Congratulations!

I'm atheist, and Judism is the only one of man's religions that I think actually does some good. Jews do not preach hate. I have the deepest respect for the Jewish faith and Jewish people.

By the way, are there any pics available of the temple?

Lady Celeste, I don't understand your question either, especially given the big smiley face the end of Voyager's comment. I do think you've over-reacted, but I am not sure why. Is the fact that there is a much larger Jewish community in NY than any southern city cause for being defensive?

Did you read what I posted? I am confused as to why you are baffled at my response. I'm not going to go into the my city has this and your city has that but metro Atlanta is home to many tens of thousands of Jews. It has been home to Jews for a very long time. The Niemans and the Marcus' were originally from Atlanta.

This is what I said:

Ummmmm, perhaps I am being a little over sensitive but why would a new temple being built signify that there may be an increase in "New Yawk Delis?" In case you didn't know, there have been Jewish familes in the south for generations. Not all are from New York.

I said in my original post that perhaps I was being a little sensitive. Did you not read that? My question to him was direct and simple. Why would a new temple being built signify that there will be an increase in "New Yawk Delis?" I was not implying any ill will on his part, I was merely asking a question. Every Jewish person is NOT from New York City although a great number are. I even said NOT all are. I can't understand how you mistook my post and I definitely don't know how you came up with your deduction. What you posted was not implied either directly or indirectly by me.

I asked him a direct question. He could have answered that he said it in jest. He did not. I was called condescending and told not to lecture on Jewish history. Perhaps in light of the recent news stories I have seen over the last few weeks that yes I am a little overly sensitive...which I said. Sometimes though people say things in jest and really mean them. That's why I asked him. There is a neighborhood just east of Atlanta...Toco Hill.... that is predominantly Jewish. Most are Conservative or Orthodox but you don't see a plethora of "New Yawk Delis" there. Dunwoody and Sandy Springs have long been Jewish enclaves yet not proliferation of "New Yawk Delis." That's why I asked him why he said that.

Does that clear it up for you?

..... Is the fact that there is a much larger Jewish community in NY than any southern city cause for being defensive?

Nobody was being defensive here. I don't know what some of you people's problems are here. Your comment was provocative and unnecessary. I have already deleted a couple of nasty posts on this subject and I just won't have any further posts like this. We are talking about a building at Lake Norman, nothing more.

Archived