Downtown Columbia to get new bank headquarters

turlough

First Citizens Bank to build corporate structure at Main and Lady

Wed, Mar. 03, 2004

By C. GRANT JACKSON

Business Editor

First Citizens Bank expects to announce next month that it will build a new corporate headquarters downtown at Main and Lady streets.

The project has been one of the worst-kept secrets in Columbia

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an exciting time to be here in the Capital City- There are many good things going on around here. The FC announcement is good news as well. That construction and the streetscaping project on Main will result in a large muddy mess for a few months.

One of these days I'll do a post on all the different projects around Columbia.

This seems like a great time to be in Columbia, to experience the growth and excitement there.

1-5-1.jpg

Wooden bridges used during Winston-Salem's streetscape construction a few years ago.

I remember visiting Winston-Salem during their streetscape project a few years ago. They removed all the old sidewalks and were removing two lanes from the street for the new wider sidewalks. Businesses had wooden bridges leading to their entrance. I'm sure it hurt retail sales and restaurants in that area, but now there are even more businesses and people, enjoying free Wi-Fi internet connection from the city and sidewalk dining, while jazz and rock performers entertain them three or four times a week. Streetscape is one of the best projects a city can do for it's downtown. The muddy mess is only temporary, but the end result produces great results that can help transform a downtown for many years to come!

Archived