Pyramid/Bass Pro

jrox

I know most don't agree but I have thought all along that we should have went with something else. Bass Pro have Buffalo waiting for years and is still waiting. We should look at something Asap. I know they are going to set a drop dead date at the meeting on the 24th. The city leaders are pretty upset with this drag out. Problem is Bass Pro has done nothing. The pyramid is an iconic landmark and decisions need to made ASAP so it can be saved!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only two viable options I see for the use of an icon like the Pyramid, and Bass Pro is neither one. One is a hotel/entertainment destination maybe the LUXOR MEMPHIS? Secondly I can see a world class aquarium in there maybe operated by the memphis zoo, since theres is one step above petsmart (maybe) I wish I had the money to finance something like this. I know there is much $$ to be made there. We need basss pro in the pyramid like we need to turn Bellevue Baptist into an ELVIS museum. Course this is just my opion and I know we all have one

:whistling:

There is only two viable options I see for the use of an icon like the Pyramid, and Bass Pro is neither one. One is a hotel/entertainment destination maybe the LUXOR MEMPHIS? Secondly I can see a world class aquarium in there maybe operated by the memphis zoo, since theres is one step above petsmart (maybe) I wish I had the money to finance something like this. I know there is much $$ to be made there. We need basss pro in the pyramid like we need to turn Bellevue Baptist into an ELVIS museum. Course this is just my opion and I know we all have one

Well, I wouldn't mind a multi-dimensional use, like the consultants recommended (combine shopping with culture and/or entertainment). My problem is this is a single use with a single tenant, and I have difficulty accepting that. Even if they wanted to relegate the structure to a single use (i.e. shopping) at least provide some diversity in tenants, attract different folks to the same place, exposing each tenant to perhaps a broader audience. I had an idea that might have made a BPS Pyramid a world class international draw, but there's no real interest in it. Something like an international gaming and wildlife center complete with safari/expedition packages and outfitters. I also liked the idea proposed of a global trade hall.

The problem with a lot of the ideas is that we need a solution that relieves the debt on the facility asap. I'd love to have an aquarium, but do we allow just a blank check? I think you must combine diverse retail with a cultural/entertainment draw, with an eye toward broadening the tourism base of downtown and the city.

I'm glad about the drop dead date. They should've set that up originally.

^I like Clobbers idea but I wouldn't say Bass Pro will be a haven for the "Git r done" types just yet. Go to this link and check out video's 1,3, and 5. There is talk of turning the Pyramid into a soundstage. That may work since a so called major film company wants to move its regional HQ here but IMO the Pyramid needs to be a major shopping destination and a sound stage can go in the MSC.

I agree totally, your ideas will attract the world. Bass Pro will only attract certain types. No one is go to want to come from abroad to go there. Bass Pro must go!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm fine with the Bass Pro Shop proposal. I think the intent of BPS is to build something far more elaborate than just a Bass Pro Shop store which, by the way, is far more than your run-of-the-mill sporting goods store. Don't let the name fool you - they also much more than just huntin' and fishin' stuff.

An aquarium would be nice, but I've read that the U.S. is getting saturated with aquariums. They are not all that unique any more. Chattanooga has one, so you might have trouble even drawing people from some place as close as middle Tennessee....much less other parts of the nation or world.

I don't really care what goes into the building as long as it brings lots of money downtown. BPS gave the city the best offer, so they took it. I'm sure the Bass Pro people have realized this is an iconic building and something special should be done in it. It's their money so I'm sure they'll want to attract a broad range of people and not just the hunters and fishers. They haven't given us all the info on what they plan to do yet so I'll stay optimistic they'll do something great.

After yesterdays news, hopefully Hollywood will take over the pyramid. They could make it an international attraction instead of a regional.

I think its great the city is holding Bass Pro's feet to the fire. If they want to stall, Village Roadshow Pictures should go for it! I doubt a soundstage will be a major tourist attraction, but it'll cause alot more TV shows and movies to film here because there is no soundstage anywhere in middle America. Bass Pro would bring in a steady stream of shoppers who fill in hotels and resturants, but being the HQ for VRP or a division of the company will help fill in vacant office space.

I think its great the city is holding Bass Pro's feet to the fire. If they want to stall, Village Roadshow Pictures should go for it! I doubt a soundstage will be a major tourist attraction, but it'll cause alot more TV shows and movies to film here because there is no soundstage anywhere in middle America. Bass Pro would bring in a steady stream of shoppers who fill in hotels and resturants, but being the HQ for VRP or a division of the company will help fill in vacant office space.

Just like there would've been a way for Bass Pro or a sporting goods outfitter to create an international destination, I think there is also a way for a movie studio to develop into a tourist draw. It just requires inventive vision and marketing.

I wonder how the debt is going to work if the studio occupies it. Will they be a tenant and the city retain ownership or what? If it's a sound stage, then potential retail may be a good idea somewhere on the property, and given the volume, maybe you can create something like that. Restaurants, clothes, equipment, recreation might be necessary especially if you have movies there. Lots of folks have a ton of downtime between shoots and takes. Give them the opportunity to roam or do something. May make sense to make the property (actually all of downtown) wireless as well.

There will be a lot of stars coming and going and temporarily living here. People from all over the world will try to catch a glimpse and tour like the do the studios in Hollywood. Plus the figures show they are going to bring hundreds of millions to the city. And I am sure the jobs pay higher than the low paying jobs Bass Pro would offer.

There will be a lot of stars coming and going and temporarily living here. People from all over the world will try to catch a glimpse and tour like the do the studios in Hollywood. Plus the figures show they are going to bring hundreds of millions to the city. And I am sure the jobs pay higher than the low paying jobs Bass Pro would offer.

I agree there would be stars living here and the jobs would pay more, but what kind of financing would they offer on the building. Bass pro agreed to pay 1 million a year in rent and cover all redevelopment cost. How much would the city have to pay in redevelopment for a sound stage and offices? What kind of tax incentives would we have to concede? and most importantly will the tax payers be on the hook for more money with them than bass pro?

Just like there would've been a way for Bass Pro or a sporting goods outfitter to create an international destination, I think there is also a way for a movie studio to develop into a tourist draw. It just requires inventive vision and marketing.

I wonder how the debt is going to work if the studio occupies it. Will they be a tenant and the city retain ownership or what? If it's a sound stage, then potential retail may be a good idea somewhere on the property, and given the volume, maybe you can create something like that. Restaurants, clothes, equipment, recreation might be necessary especially if you have movies there. Lots of folks have a ton of downtime between shoots and takes. Give them the opportunity to roam or do something. May make sense to make the property (actually all of downtown) wireless as well.

The film industry uses caterers to feed staff, so I would think if a resturant does come in, it'll be a small one for tour groups along with a gift shop. A gym area will most definately be there for the staff to use during breaks but I doubt there will be an area for a fullblown clothing store in the Pyramid. There could possibly be an exibition hall and movie theater in the parking lot for tourists and premieres along with a classy, paparazi free, resturant at the top of the building. As for an inclinator, can't they put it inside? The outside of the Pyramid looks great as it is.

The film industry uses caterers to feed staff, so I would think if a resturant does come in, it'll be a small one for tour groups along with a gift shop. A gym area will most definately be there for the staff to use during breaks but I doubt there will be an area for a fullblown clothing store in the Pyramid. There could possibly be an exibition hall and movie theater in the parking lot for tourists and premieres along with a classy, paparazi free, resturant at the top of the building. As for an inclinator, can't they put it inside? The outside of the Pyramid looks great as it is.

I was kidding kinda about the inclinator. I think the inclinator would need to be on the outside, where the triangular panels don't fit together and there looks to be a track or rail. I hope if there were an inclinator, it would be just a generic kind. The inclinator shouldn't be the focus, the Pyramid structure itself should be.

City is set to meet with Bass Pro officals tommorow.

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=5332379

The city seems very confident that there is another offer! How many tourists can a soundstage attract and wouldn't it also attract a certain group of people? Anyway, if the production company does take over it, they'll certainly have a strong workforce. There are alot of local films being made in the Memphis area and the Memphis College of Art will probably have to expand if this thing goes through. Maybe a large film campus at the Mall of Memphis site? :thumbsup: Heck, why not put in Bass Pro at the Pyramid and the soundstage/studio at the Mall?

City is set to meet with Bass Pro officals tommorow.

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=5332379

The city seems very confident that there is another offer! How many tourists can a soundstage attract and wouldn't it also attract a certain group of people? Anyway, if the production company does take over it, they'll certainly have a strong workforce. There are alot of local films being made in the Memphis area and the Memphis College of Art will probably have to expand if this thing goes through. Maybe a large film campus at the Mall of Memphis site? :thumbsup: Heck, why not put in Bass Pro at the Pyramid and the soundstage/studio at the Mall?

Looks like the deal is still in place the only question is when?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4951866,00.html

Looks like the deal is still in place the only question is when?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4951866,00.html

If Bass Pro continues to drag their feet IMO Greg Ericson and his group that includes Hnedek Bo Bo shoul take the lead in making the Pyramid a indoor theme park. The group appears to be financially sound and according to this morning's article are ready to take the leade if bass pro doesn't get with the program. I say let's not continue to drag this thing out passed 2 months, this building needs a major tenant and soon. I also like the

idea of making it a luxury hotel like the luxor in vegas. We could pair the two together Indoor Theme Park and luxury hotel.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4964922,00.html

If Bass Pro continues to drag their feet IMO Greg Ericson and his group that includes Hnedek Bo Bo shoul take the lead in making the Pyramid a indoor theme park. The group appears to be financially sound and according to this morning's article are ready to take the leade if bass pro doesn't get with the program. I say let's not continue to drag this thing out passed 2 months, this building needs a major tenant and soon. I also like the

idea of making it a luxury hotel like the luxor in vegas. We could pair the two together Indoor Theme Park and luxury hotel.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...4964922,00.html

I like the idea of a hotel, but one of the problems that was mentioned was the lack of windows. The way they proposed to solve this was to put flat screen TV's in every room linked to a CCTV camera at locations like Beale Street and Graceland. I don't know why, but every Downtown theme park doesn't seem to do well. Successful ones are in malls and suburban locations. I would like to see the Pyramid become a hotel/convention center linked to the Cook Convention Center by a tunnel lined w/ retail, resturants, post office, and banks. Bigger conventions will bring more money to town

I like the idea of a hotel, but one of the problems that was mentioned was the lack of windows. The way they proposed to solve this was to put flat screen TV's in every room linked to a CCTV camera at locations like Beale Street and Graceland. I don't know why, but every Downtown theme park doesn't seem to do well. Successful ones are in malls and suburban locations. I would like to see the Pyramid become a hotel/convention center linked to the Cook Convention Center by a tunnel lined w/ retail, resturants, post office, and banks. Bigger conventions will bring more money to town

the flat screen idea i think is retarded.

i dont think the structural stability of the building would be hampered if they punched a few holes in the side and put windows. despite it being a pyramid its not a wall bearing structure, nor is it an egyptian stone pyramid.

a downtown theme park wouldnt be so bad if more people lifed around the pyramid.

hotel/convention center is my favourite idea personally.

the flat screen idea i think is retarded.

i dont think the structural stability of the building would be hampered if they punched a few holes in the side and put windows. despite it being a pyramid its not a wall bearing structure, nor is it an egyptian stone pyramid.

a downtown theme park wouldnt be so bad if more people lifed around the pyramid.

hotel/convention center is my favourite idea personally.

I thought the Denver park was doing pretty well (Illitch?). Anyway, I think if you build retail around it on the south end, bending it toward the convention center, it will help bring the two together. Then, on Overton, you should have a colonnade of Egyptian style columns to help it connect with the Pinch district. Build the hotel on the north side of the Pyramid (because depending on the nature of the theme park, I don't know how much room there would be for a hotel). If there's room toward the top for hotel rooms, go for it. Maybe have two or three medium-sized stores on the ground floor (or one big anchor). Open up the observation deck. What's needed is a cohesive plan to bridge the CC, the Pyramid, and the Pinch together. Not literally under one roof, but kind of the same way that Beale, AZP, and Peabody Place kind of blend together and complement each other.

A tunnel would be too long between the Pyramid and the CC, imo, without stuff along with it, such as retail.

I thought the Denver park was doing pretty well (Illitch?). Anyway, I think if you build retail around it on the south end, bending it toward the convention center, it will help bring the two together. Then, on Overton, you should have a colonnade of Egyptian style columns to help it connect with the Pinch district. Build the hotel on the north side of the Pyramid (because depending on the nature of the theme park, I don't know how much room there would be for a hotel). If there's room toward the top for hotel rooms, go for it. Maybe have two or three medium-sized stores on the ground floor (or one big anchor). Open up the observation deck. What's needed is a cohesive plan to bridge the CC, the Pyramid, and the Pinch together. Not literally under one roof, but kind of the same way that Beale, AZP, and Peabody Place kind of blend together and complement each other.

A tunnel would be too long between the Pyramid and the CC, imo, without stuff along with it, such as retail.

Yeah even Elitch Gardens isn't doing too good. The owners announced that they are attempting to sell the land to developers back in June. The interstate is a sort of psychological barrier between the downtown core and northend so I thought a tunnel would be a better way to bring the two together. Its the same problem Toronto has. CN Tower, Rogers Center, and Air Canada Center are right between an interstate and Union Station (large rail yard). Part of the Convention Center is in between the interstate and station aswell and its connected by an overhead walkway. That might be a little unfeasible since I-40 is so high but a tunnel between the two would be about 300 yards long and the addition of the Pyramid will automatically double our downtown convention space putting us above main convention centers in cities like Toronto, San Diego, and NYC.

It seems like Front Street is the only main obstacle. While the interstate is a psychological barrier, I'm envisioning something like a semicircle-type addition between the Pyramid and the convention center that hugs the ground as it exits the south or southeast corner of the Pyramid. The retail extends into the Pyramid parking lot to accompany a path toward the bluff where the cc overhangs Front. It's been a while since I've seen the area, so I don't know if this is feasible. Just an idea. It can ascend up grade toward the cc and then bridge over Front, with escalators and such, or it can burrow into the bluff. It might be easier to ascend b/c the cc already is built over Front some. Maybe I've described it ok, but I wish I could draw it. Or maybe it's so silly, maybe I'm glad I can't.

Archived