Pyramid/Bass Pro

jrox

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...5164587,00.html

Still waiting on Bass Pro.

I'm trying to think of something else that should go into the Pyramid that'll be more appropriate for an area that is so close to the growing biotech industry. Here's what I would propose:

-Large interactive Science Museum with a few simulated "thrill" rides (e.g. riding thru space) , a large fish tank and "History of Medicine" component.

-A convention hall/meeting space and commercial area (resturants, banks, bookstore, retail, art gallery, Wallgreens, etc.) connected to the Convention Center via the tunnel.

-A resturant at the top of the building is a MUST

-An offical "Wonders" Museum and "Blues Hall of Fame" somewhere on site.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always thought an outlet mall would be the best use. It is both a regional and local draw. I don't know why Belz hasn't gotten on this bandwagon. It would be a big asset for conventioners, since they could just ride the trolley or walk from the convention center. Locals would shop there regularly, unlike an aquarium that most Memphians would never visit and the ones who do would go once or twice in their lifetime. It has excellent interstate access and would beckon travelers on their way over the bridge. They could build a food court along the waterfront. The whole place would be Egyptian themed, which works much better than an outdoor theme.

An outlet mall and a Bass Pro is six in one, half dozen in the other. But an outlet mall will never draw 1 million visitors a year like a Bass Pro. I'm not advocating for a Bass Pro, and if it falls through a mall might be a good second option, but between those two I'd vote for Bass Pro.

If I remember correctly no public money would finance Bass Pro - we'd be making 1 million per year in lease revenue... Am I wrong?

Archived