Union Place station...and a few other misc. thoughts from my time in Hartford today

blink55184

CTMAN- disagree with you on just 2 little things-

2) There are hundreds of signs about parking. You need an engineering degree sometimes to figure out if you can park somewhere. There's loading zones, 2 hour spaces, spaces open between certain hours, valet areas, etc. Why do we need all these obnoxious signs???

Theyre not that complicated if you can read! Every city has signs like this. Most just say 2 hour parking between 8am and 6pm. If people can't figure that out, they SHOULD NOT be driving a car!!!

4) One more just random parking thing. Everyone talks about more parking to accomodate the new jobs, new residents, new stores, new this and new that. If we have all this parking we are just making Hartford another suburb. In succesfull urban cores like New York, Boston and Philadelphia do we see tons of parking garages and surface lots galore...No we dont. It sickens me sometimes to see all the parking we have downtown.

I agree with you to a certain extent, that Hartford has ALOT of downtown parking garages and lots. I disagree with your comparison to other major cities. Downtown Boston has HUGE parking garages and centers. HUGE- the common garage, the one by city hall, and others are just enormous. There are also lots of surface lots, just smaller. The Fenway area has an INSANE amount of surface parking. All cities have it, it is a part of city life. Sure, we want more downtown residents, but we still want suburbanites to come in too! If the Whalers came back, do you think everyone who attended the games would live a block away?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theyre not that complicated if you can read! Every city has signs like this. Most just say 2 hour parking between 8am and 6pm. If people can't figure that out, they SHOULD NOT be driving a car!!!

I agree with you to a certain extent, that Hartford has ALOT of downtown parking garages and lots. I disagree with your comparison to other major cities. Downtown Boston has HUGE parking garages and centers. HUGE- the common garage, the one by city hall, and others are just enormous. There are also lots of surface lots, just smaller. The Fenway area has an INSANE amount of surface parking. All cities have it, it is a part of city life. Sure, we want more downtown residents, but we still want suburbanites to come in too! If the Whalers came back, do you think everyone who attended the games would live a block away?

At least you can take the T to Fenway, as I was able to do this past weekend... Keep the large lots in the suburbs and bring in the mass transit... Hopefully in my lifetime...

When I was in Manhattan there were tons of garages on every side street. I think they are pretty standard even in bustling urban areas. Most people in America use cars, so I guess we just have to accomdate or loose business.

Downtown Hartford coud use another large parking garage. One right across the street from Union Station next to I-84. That would service the west end of the city and enhance the entertainment district on the east side of the station.

For that lot across the street from Union Station, how about a garage with about 15 stories of hotel above it?

They don't know you're 2-3 minutes expired, most the time... I don't mind paying the meters, just get some updated ones, I don't always have coins on me...

Happen to me twice bro!! If the city was this efficient when it fights crime, then the city would have a low crime rate. I got no problem paying for parking, although I do agree that they do need to update the meters to except other forms of payment. And another thing, they hardly give you any time on the meter for the money your putting in. At least make quarters 30 minutes, and dimes 10 minutes. That would be more reasonable.

Archived