Ashley Terrace Construction Thread

wolverine

I noticed the old 2 story building that sat in the middle of the block facing Huron Ave was demolished. A construction fence is up and it looks like things are getting started. In this thread is where I, and other people, can post construction photos.

rendering2.jpg

Offical Website

Ashley Terrace Condominiums

The Developer is Joseph Freed & Assoc, which many of you know is also doing the Glen-Ann Place, which has a construction fence up.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, there's also some additional retail space too. The parking is also underground.

First, can GR borrow this developer. Im not sure why the underground concept is lost on many of the projects here in GR but its such a boost to have.

Secondly, any updated photos on this project?

First, can GR borrow this developer. Im not sure why the underground concept is lost on many of the projects here in GR but its such a boost to have.

Secondly, any updated photos on this project?

In many parts of Grand Rapids, as I understand it, the bedrock is only about 8 - 10' below the surface. That skyrockets the cost of building underground parking spaces to $30,000 - $45,000/space, to where it's not feasible. Who wants to pay that much for parking.

Ann Arbor will not approve any project that does not have underground parking downtown. Which is why this is necessary. We are losing hundreds of spaces each year. Although IMO its a good thing to lose ugly parking, I fear this might hinder many large scale developments in the future that may require far more parking than something like Ashley terrace would. Fortunately, Ann Arbor added another bus line "The link" which should help reduce this dependancy somewhat.

So, while not directly related to this thread, but with what you said about parking, what does that mean for the Google building? Will they get an exception, or will they oblige and build tons of underground parking for their HQ?

Well, it means that other nearby ramps will have to add extra levels. I think that has been planned for sometime. It also means that if a new google building is to be built, they will have to go pretty deep with their underground parking.

There is room for another major ramp though. There's a half destroyed parking structure on 1st street. It was having structural problems so the city had it partially demoed and use what used to be the basement now as a surface lot. It's highly unattractive with its massive angled steel bracing holding up walls broken and cracked at the top with exposed rebar everywhere. The city doesn't know what to do with that parcel. It could be for highrise residential, a park, or maybe more parking. So for now, we have to live with what looked like an aerial bombing occured.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I walked by the construction site on my way to work today and it looks like the frame has topped out! On that note, this may be a stupid question but does anyone know why whenever a building tops out they put a flags and a tree on the top cross bar?

It's not a stupid question, at all, as the practice is a very old, superstitous one, I believe. It's an old (ancient) Scandanavian practice meant to appease the family's spirits who they believed lived with them in the trees wheever they lived.

This eventually transformed into something much more secular, and is now thought of to bring good luck and symbolize growth. Placing a flag up there is really a bit more simple, simply meant to symbolize that a tower has been toped out.

I had no idea what it meant, either, until I looked it up a few years ago.

Oooooooooh! Topped out. [insert DJ record Squawk] What the hell is being attached to the side?

Okay, I want to tell you all something. We have these large books at the office with all the manufacturers of buildings products. You flip through and get these (at most) 3 x 5" photos of some product. I'm just imagining an architect flipping through a book of precast finished panels and going "ooooh this might look nice." The photo featured is some suburban mixed use development out in Los Angeles. For some odd reason, the architect thinks it might look okay on some project in Ann Arbor and has it drawn up in the cd's. Well.... this is really going to look awkward.

Okay, I want to tell you all something. We have these large books at the office with all the manufacturers of buildings products. You flip through and get these (at most) 3 x 5" photos of some product. I'm just imagining an architect flipping through a book of precast finished panels and going "ooooh this might look nice." The photo featured is some suburban mixed use development out in Los Angeles. For some odd reason, the architect thinks it might look okay on some project in Ann Arbor and has it drawn up in the cd's. Well.... this is really going to look awkward.

Archived