Youth of today

wolverine

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think I was making that up?

I made that argument based simply off of what all the middle-aged people talk about when they sit around drinking on Friday nights.. about how they'd get drunk and then drive around town at 17 and skip 3rd period to go to the bar and then come back for 5th period hammered as all get out. Nobody got beat for it, and smoking, drug use, and alcohol was very prevalent among young people then.

Unwed mothers were not allowed in normal public schools in the '60s and '70s along with all the other "retarded" kids. The teenage pregnancy rate (children born to women 15-19 years old) has fallen in the U.S from 62 to 1000 women (aged 15-19) in 1990 to 42 today. This decline is transcendent across all racial boundaries.

I don't know where you went to school, but things must be a LOT different. It wasn't that long before you were in school that the south was still segregated.. so it doesn't surprise me that they were whipping children in schools as late as the 1970s.

These were not school age kids that did that in the 1960s. If you cut up in school in those days you got your ass whipped by the teacher or the principle if you were older, then you parents came to school and you got your ass whipped again. Unruly and disrespectful kids where unheard of then, as was drug and alcohol use in the the schools, unwed mothers, gang members, and other bad things that you see now. I don't think I ever saw a policeman in schools the entire 12 years I went to public school in the 1960s and 70s because they simply were not needed.

The problem with today's kids are irresponsible parents who bring them in the world who are not doing their jobs as parents to raise them properly for society. That is why you see the police in schools now. In the example mentioned above the 11 year old's parents have completely abandoned the child and he was dumped on people who can't raise him. That is the problem. Drug use is just a symptom.

Do you think I was making that up?

I made that argument based simply off of what all the middle-aged people talk about when they sit around drinking on Friday nights.. about how they'd get drunk and then drive around town at 17 and skip 3rd period to go to the bar and then come back for 5th period hammered as all get out. Nobody got beat for it, and smoking, drug use, and alcohol was very prevalent among young people then.

I think you're avoiding the argument. You seem to have some bias against young people and there are cold hard facts that actually show the opposite trend to what you were going on about earlier, and you respond with an argument as shallow as that?

No. Nobody got whipped by their teachers or spanked in school. Corporal punishment in public schools was officially banned in Minnesota schools in 1974 and had been out of practice for many many years before that. My grandparents said they always heard of the famed "paddle" in the princpal's office, but they never knew anyone to actually get paddled. This was in the late 1930s.

There are still some fundamental religious schools that have corporal punishment. But they are hardly representative of most students.

^The use of corporal punishment in schools is probably a regional issue. In RI, as in Minnesota, it hasn't been practiced in years, but it was still a common punishment when I was in Middle School in Alabama in the mid '90s, and for all I know it is stil used there.

I edited my above post to fix my third link.

Corporal punishment was banned in Minnesota in 1989, but was added to a previous statute about discipline in schools from 1974 that included language that punishment should not be excessively painful physically or mentally. Apparently corporal punishment was not included in that until 1989.

Early 90s they had it in my middle school, but only if your parents specifically requested that their child be subjected to it. They banned it by the time I got in 7th Grade, although there was one unfortunate young boy who decided to beat another kid with a leather strap. His parents had signed the authorization...... 7th Grade was also the year they decided that they couldn't force you to dress out for PE or even to participate, so most kids just stood there in the gym watching the older kids have slam dunk contests.

Archived