Ritter Park neighborhood

frankliner

I remember when I was growing up being awed by the Ritter Park area of Huntington. When I went back recently, there were several grand homes in various states of decay, but several renovation projects going on. Does anyone know if there has been a trend toward further decay or more renovation in this area in recent years? Also, has the city made any recent investments in and around this area?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been some renovations on houses immediately surrounding the park. Depending on what you mean by recent years, there have been investments in the park as well, although I think the Greater Huntington Parks and Recreation District is responsible for those more than the city.

Notable renovations have included:

• New tennis court building, featuring concessions and showers

• Bathrooms and a small meeting room next to the Rose Garden

• New bathrooms, some lighting and sound renovations to the Amphitheater

• Artwork (statues) scattered through the park

• Paved section of walkway that often remained swampy

In addition, though it's slightly off-topic, Rotary Park has also seen improvements. There are new walking paths, new parking areas, and a large Frisbee golf course. (24 holes, I believe.) It's also open later -- a major change for a park that not long ago was a haven for drug and illicit sex activities.

GHPRD has improved several other city parks as well. The only one suffering is the Riverfront Park, actually. Sad to say, it's become a haven for homeless who confront people begging for money. There has been talk of a bike trail to be built along the Ohio from the east end of Huntington to Virginia Point in Kenova, but I don't know if that would work -- there are several industrial areas along that route.

GHPRD has been suffering itself recently. It is being funded at a horribly low level -- approximately $15 per person in the area per year, versus $50 per person per year for the Charleston Parks. At the same time, it is responsibly for considerably more land area and more park facilities. There is a bond issue to increase funding slated for the elections this year. We'll see if the people of the area are willing to fund it.

There have been some renovations on houses immediately surrounding the park. Depending on what you mean by recent years, there have been investments in the park as well, although I think the Greater Huntington Parks and Recreation District is responsible for those more than the city.

Notable renovations have included:

• New tennis court building, featuring concessions and showers

• Bathrooms and a small meeting room next to the Rose Garden

• New bathrooms, some lighting and sound renovations to the Amphitheater

• Artwork (statues) scattered through the park

• Paved section of walkway that often remained swampy

In addition, though it's slightly off-topic, Rotary Park has also seen improvements. There are new walking paths, new parking areas, and a large Frisbee golf course. (24 holes, I believe.) It's also open later -- a major change for a park that not long ago was a haven for drug and illicit sex activities.

GHPRD has improved several other city parks as well. The only one suffering is the Riverfront Park, actually. Sad to say, it's become a haven for homeless who confront people begging for money. There has been talk of a bike trail to be built along the Ohio from the east end of Huntington to Virginia Point in Kenova, but I don't know if that would work -- there are several industrial areas along that route.

GHPRD has been suffering itself recently. It is being funded at a horribly low level -- approximately $15 per person in the area per year, versus $50 per person per year for the Charleston Parks. At the same time, it is responsibly for considerably more land area and more park facilities. There is a bond issue to increase funding slated for the elections this year. We'll see if the people of the area are willing to fund it.

A lot of those same users do not live in Huntington, so do they have to pay taxes on the parks? I know that the GHPRD has facilities outside the city limits, so should this be a county-wide issue?

What type/style of artwork have they put in Ritter? I don't remember seeing that when I was there last. You're right, it's sad about how Huntington seems to shun itself from the river. I understand the flooding concerns, but most of the world's "livable" cities have found a way to successfully utilize that resource.

What type/style of artwork have they put in Ritter? I don't remember seeing that when I was there last. You're right, it's sad about how Huntington seems to shun itself from the river. I understand the flooding concerns, but most of the world's "livable" cities have found a way to successfully utilize that resource.

The floodwall is a huge barrier to utilizing the riverfront to its maximum potential. To do any modifications to it, such as adding entrances, will require a lengthy approval period through the Army Corps of Engineers.

Archived