Possiblie Ritz-Carlton Sale?

tombarnes

Possible Sale of the Ritz-Carlton?

Rumor has it that the Taj Group of India is looking at the Ritz-Carlton (the real one, not the new one) with the idea of converting it to its proposed Pierre flag, named of course, for the eponymous hotel in New York they bought last year. I know the original Ritz needs updating, but I'd find it incredibly sad to see it lose its name. Just another example of the Marriottization of Ritz-carlton. Before anyone discounts this article as just the sort of (usual) tabloid trash from the Herald, this is not the first time I have heard rumors that the old Ritz might be sold.

The Boston Herald

• 1 month later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparantly the sale in fact went through. The Taj Group now owns the original Ritz Carlton. The name will likely change. I wonder if I was a condo owner, if I would be worried about losing a good chunk in value by the RC name disappearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Truth be told, the Pierre had lost its five-star status long before it was sold to the Taj Group. If anything, the new owners might restore some lustre to the property. I'm concerned, however, that the loss of the original name will be a significant obstacle. What on earth will they call it? The Arlington? The Taj Mahal Boston? :)

Truth be told, the Pierre had lost its five-star status long before it was sold to the Taj Group. If anything, the new owners might restore some lustre to the property. I'm concerned, however, that the loss of the original name will be a significant obstacle. What on earth will they call it? The Arlington? The Taj Mahal Boston? :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It Has Been Done

The Ritz-Carlton has now become the Taj Boston. I do not see the Dining Room on the website, so I assume that the Taj group has no plans to restore/reopen the beuatiful main dining room overlooking the Public Garden. As much as I would like to believe that service may, in fact, improve under the new owners, it is still bittersweet to see that Marriott/Ritz-Carlton have jettisoned the old hotel. The "new" Ritz-Carlton could just as well be in Detroit or Jakarta for all it says about Boston.

Boston.com- The Boston Globe

Archived