Cape Cod

ctman987

I just returned from one of my many trips I take to Cape Cod each year.

I'll try to make this a four part series

Part I : Chatham, MA

Chatham is a town with about a population of 6,500 which swells to between 30,000-40,000 during the summer months. Chatham is located at the elbow of the Cape and tries very hard to retain it's New England and Cape Cod charm. Chatham was a community built on the fishing industry as it is the town that sticks out into the water most out of any town in the country. Although fishing is not as big as it used to be the town lost a wopping 1.7 million dollars when the fishing areas had to be shut down for a time last year. Chatham draws in thousands of people from the Boston area, CT, NY and NJ who stay at the town's hotels and inns, rent a place or own one of the many vacation residences.\

Chatham has a view notable claim to fames. First of all Chatham has a pedestrian friendly mixed use downtown which is centered around Main Street. Main Street is filled with shops, restaurants, art galleries, ice cream shops, inns, the town hall, 3 churchs, and the public library. There are no vacant store fronts, the street is very small so pedestrians are welcome and it is yield to pedestrians in the street. Main Street is usually always hopping. There is on street parallel parking with the rest of the parking in a few designated public parking lots...and all parking is free (no meters).

Besides that Chatham is home to the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge which is thousands of acres of land which is comprised of islands that is a refuge for thousands of birds. On the water in Chatham is Chatham Light which serves as the home for the US Coast Guard. Chatham served as the home for the movie "Summer Catch" which stared Freddie Prinze Jr and Jessica Biel.

Chatham is a town that is filled with working class people as well as some very exclusive homes which cater to the rich and famous. There are hundreds of multi million dollar homes in town as well as the exclusive Chatham Bars Inn on the water.

First pics are of downtown Chatham

Chatham Rotary...traffic heading into downtown

ChathamRotary3.jpg

ChathamRotary2.jpg

Start of downtown

StartofdowntownMain.jpg

Chatham Wayside Inn on Main St

WaysideInn2.jpg

WaysideInn3.jpg

ChathamWaysideInn3.jpg

Chatham Town House Inn

ChathamTownHouseInn.jpg

Chatham Town Hall

ChathamTownHall.jpg

Chatham Squire

ChathamSquire.jpg

Saint Christopher

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monomoy....a private area that is almost all surrounded by little islands, sand barriers and water. It is home to the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge as well as tons of big times homes all located in treed neighborhoods with private water views.

Monomoy.....The rest of the area where the home base of the wildlife refuge is...this is a very treed and exclusive area

MonomoyIsland17.jpg

MonomoyIsland16.jpg

MonomoyIsland15.jpg

MonomoyIsland14.jpg

MonomoyIsland3-1.jpg

MonomoyIsland12.jpg

MonomoyIsland11.jpg

MonomoyIsland10.jpg

MonomoyIsland9.jpg

MonomoyIsland8.jpg

MonomoyIsland7.jpg

MonomoyIsland6.jpg

MonomoyIsland4.jpg

MonomoyIsland3.jpg

MonomoyIsland2.jpg

MonomoyIsland.jpg

Seals off of Monomoy....there are more then 1500 seals off the Chatham coast and they are a big attraction. There are three differant companies that offer seal tours in town

MonomoySeals4.jpg

MonomoySeals3.jpg

MonomoySeals2.jpg

MonomoySeals.jpg

View of Monomoy

ViewofMonomoyIsland2.jpg

ViewofMonomoyIsland.jpg

View from Monomoy

ViewfromMonomoyIsland.jpg

More Monomoy

View of Stage Island Road (at the foot of Monomoy)

ViewofStageIslandRoad2.jpg

ViewofStageIslandRoad.jpg

Start of Stage Harbor Road

StageIslandRoadstart.jpg

Stage Harbor Road

StageIslandRoad14.jpg

StageIslandRoadnewconstructionII.jpg

StageIslandRoadnewconstruction.jpg

StageIslandRoad13.jpg

StageIslandRoad12.jpg

StageIslandRoad11.jpg

StageIslandRoad10.jpg

StageIslandRoad9.jpg

StageIslandRoad8.jpg

StageIslandRoad7.jpg

StageIslandRoad6.jpg

StageIslandRoad5.jpg

StageIslandRoad4.jpg

StageIslandRoad3.jpg

StageIslandRoad2.jpg

StageIslandRoad.jpg

StageIslandRoad15.jpg

More Monomoy

Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge

MonomoyNationalWildlifeRefuge5.jpg

MonomyNationalWildlifeRefuge4.jpg

MonomoyNationalWildlifeRefuge3.jpg

MonomoyNationalWildlifeRefuge2.jpg

MonomoyNationalWildlifeRefuge.jpg

Morris Island Road - the road that leads to Monomoy

MorrisIslandRoadfromMonomoyIsland.jpg

MonomyIslandRoad3.jpg

MonomyIslandRoad2.jpg

MonomoyIslandRoad.jpg

Chatham Light Area

Chatham Light

ChathamLight.jpg

Lighthouse Beach

LighthouseBeach5.jpg

LighthouseBeach4.jpg

LighthouseBeach3.jpg

LighthouseBeach.jpg

LighthouseBeach2.jpg

Lighthouse Beach / Chatham Light Parking

ChathamLightParking.jpg

Chatham Beach & Tennis Club by the Lighthouse

ChathamBeachTennisClub.jpg

ChathamBeachTennisClub2.jpg

Main St Oceanfront Side towards Lighthouse

MainStreetOceanfront6.jpg

MainStreetOceanfront4.jpg

MainStreetOceanfront3.jpg

MainStOceanfront.jpg

MainStreetOceanfront2.jpg

MainStOcecanfrontBridgeSt.jpg

Little Beach Road

LittleBeachRoad8.jpg

LittleBeachRoad7.jpg

LittleBeachRoad6.jpg

LittleBeachRoad.jpg

LittleBeachRoad2.jpg

Lighthouse area continued

Oyster Drive

OysterDrive2.jpg

OysterDrive.jpg

Lobster Lane

LobsterLane.jpg

Area south of the lighthouse by Outermost Marina and Chatham Oceanfront Condominiums

OutermostMarinaarea.jpg

Chatham Oceanfront Condominiums

ChathamOceanfrontCondominiumsStarfi.jpg

ChathamOceanfrontCondominiums2.jpg

Outermost Marina and Chatham Oceanfront Condominiums

>

Outermost Marina

OutermostMarina2.jpg

Andrew Hardings Road

AndrewHardingsRoad.jpg

Areas northeast of downtown along the water...including the exclusive Shore Road where parts of Summer Catch were filmed and the Chatham Fish Pier

Shore Road through the Chatham Bars Inn

ShoreRoadthroughChathamBarsInn.jpg

Shore Road homes

ShoreRoadhomes.jpg

ShoreRdhomes2.jpg

Shore Road Beaches (private beaches)

ShoreRoadbeach.jpg

Shore Road

ShoreRoad8.jpg

ShoreRoad7.jpg

ShoreRoad6.jpg

3c6d7ce7.jpg

ShoreRoad5.jpg

ShoreRoad4.jpg

ShoreRoad3.jpg

ShoreRoad2.jpg

ShoreRoad.jpg

A private home on Shore Road on the grounds of the Chatham Bars Inn

ShoreRdPrivateHomebyCBI.jpg

Homes on Shore Road from the Fish Pier

ShoreRdhomesfromfishpier.jpg

Hawthorne Motel

HawthorneMotel4.jpg

HawthorneMotel.jpg

HawthorneMotel2.jpg

HawthorneMotel3.jpg

More of the Shore Road/Fish Pier area

South Beach

SouthBeach.jpg

North Beach

NorthBeach4.jpg

NorthBeach2.jpg

NorthBeach.jpg

Nickerson Fish Market at the Chatham Fish Pier

NickersonFishMarket.jpg

Chatham Fish Pier

ChathamFishPier6.jpg

ChathamFishPier5.jpg

ChathamFishPier3.jpg

ChathamFishPier2.jpg

ChathamFishPier.jpg

Some more various Chatham scenes

Windmill Lane

This image catches a quirk of the Cape's geography:

FirstCongregationalChurchofChatham.jpg

You can see from the sign, you need to take Route 28 South to get to North Chatham. That's because the Cape sticks out into the water, then curves up, with Chatham being the elbow. South 28 runs east across the Cape, then runs north from Chatham. The Cape curves again in Provincetown so that you need to take East 6 to get to the West End of town.

Chatham has had a lot of problems with erosion. The islands and barriers off the coast move around a lot, split, join the mainland, and move again. Maps of the area change from season to season. A storm in 1987 broke through North Beach opening up the mainland to the ocean. The photos below from the Cape Cod Times show before and after erosion that took place as a result. Since then the break has stablized and the shore in this area has rebuilt itself (ctman987 shows some photos of the beach infront of the light house as it looks today). But a number of houses have fallen into the ocean over the last few decades in Chatham.

Chatham002-Erosion.jpg

The Chatham Bars Inn probably was featured on some movie...it is a very expensive and beautiful hotel. The main building is amazing. If you saw "Summer Catch" the girl in the movie had a summer home on Shore Road by the hotel...and they may have featured the hotel

Also going to mapquest and looking up Chatham on the map is helpful so you get a look at the geography and can see how the town sticks out into the water. My family owns a house in Chatham and year after year there is always a little worry about storms that come through town...and dont even talk about trying to get insurance for oceanfront property in town

Orleans, MA

Orleans is located on the upper cape and is in between Chatham at the elbow of the Cape and Provincetown at the tip of the Cape. As you will see Orleans has a nice downtown area but is not as pedestrian friendly or as busy as downtown Chatham or Provincetown because it has given in to sprawl. There is Orleans Marketplace right in the back of downtown...a basic strip mall. The town is also home to a Stop & Shop, TJ Maxx and Staples...the only TJ Maxx and Staples between Hyannis and Provincetown and one of two Stop & Shops.

Orleans does have a very nice waterfront and is one of the towns that is part of the Cape Cod National Seashore

Orleans Inn

OrleansInn.jpg

The Chocolate Sparrow

TheChocolateSparrow.jpg

Old Colony Way and Main St

OldColonyWayMainSt.jpg

Main St

MainStreet.jpg

Mahoney Bar & Grill

MahoneysBarGrill.jpg

Gallery 31

Gallery3131MainSt.jpg

The Baseball Shop, Orleans Cycle

TheBaseballShopOrleansCycle.jpg

Snows Home and Garden

SnowsHomeGarden.jpg

Orleans Marketplace

OrleansMarketplace.jpg

Earth House

EarthHouse.jpg

Cemetery

CemeteryonMainSt.jpg

Cape Cod Savings Bank

CapeCodSavingsBank.jpg

Army Navy Store

ArmyNavyStore.jpg

Route 6A

Rt6ATraffic.jpg

Rt6A3.jpg

Rt6A2.jpg

Rt6A.jpg

TRAFFIC HEADING ONTO THE CAPE

There are two bridges that head onto the Cape...the Bourne Bridge and the Sagamore Bridge. To get to these bridges drivers take Rt 25 which is reached from I-495 and I-195. Saturdays cause major traffic jams on these roads and bridges. Once drivers get over the bridge most travel on Rt 6 which is a one and sometimes 2 lane highway that goes all the way to provincetown or take Rt 28 a small local road.

These pictures were taken around 9:00AM when the traffic really wasnt that bad yet.

Rt 25 Traffic heading to the bridges

Rt25-Startsafter4951953.jpg

Rt25-Startsafter495195.jpg

Rt 6 traffic heading towards the Bourne Bridge for people leaving the Cape after their weeks vacation

Route6TrafficBourneBridge2.jpg

Route6TrafficBourneBridge.jpg

Rt 6 Traffic

Route6Traffic.jpg

Canal Service Road

CanalServiceRoadBourne3.jpg

CanalServiceRoadBourne2.jpg

CanalServiceRoadBourne.jpg

Bourne Rotary - they are currently trying to redo this rotary because it gets to be complete chaos when there are major traffic jams.

BourneRotaryTraffic.jpg

God, I miss Cape Cod. My family and extended family all go to Cape Cod usually every other year. This year is our off year. We usually each rent out a cottage on Cooks Brook Beach or in Brewster. Thanks for the pictures. Its nice to get a taste of Cape Cod when I am wanting to be there.

God, I miss Cape Cod. My family and extended family all go to Cape Cod usually every other year. This year is our off year. We usually each rent out a cottage on Cooks Brook Beach or in Brewster. Thanks for the pictures. Its nice to get a taste of Cape Cod when I am wanting to be there.

I go up to Cape Cod each year....my family has a place in Chatham. I love Cape Cod. Earlier this summer I was in Ocean City, MD and thought I loved it. They have a huge boardwalk there that was always filled with people. But it was just sprawl everywhere....with huge condo towers and chain hotels surrounded by huge avenues. When I went back to the cape I was very happy to return

Archived