Business Ranking for Arkansas

Mith242

Forbes recently put out some business rankings for each state. Nothing spectacular, Arkansas got ranked 24th. Although a middle of the pack ranking isn't too bad. Considering that Arkansas tends to be near the bottom of so many rankings. Especially considering where some of our neighbors came in. Mississippi was 48th and Louisiana was 50th. Here's a link providing some more details.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/9/06bests...sas_090024.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad, not bad.

I'm interested in the criteria used.

I'm always a little skeptical of what constitutes a "good" business ranking...

Further down the page of the link I provided mentions a lot of the factors used. It also ranks the states by each of those factors as well.

As NWA and Central Ark continue to make up an increasing percentage of the state's population more pro-business legislation could be enacted. Our tax structure is the major thing working against us according to businessmen I've talked with.

Yeah I've recently been hearing some complaints on the tax structure. Although this was dealing with more than just business.

Yeah I've recently been hearing some complaints on the tax structure. Although this was dealing with more than just business.

Texas has an overwhelmingly business-friendly image and is always high in these rankings. They seem to create enough revenue to do everything they want to and now that I live here, I think that eliminating the state income tax and raising property taxes to make up for it seems really reasonable. It will never happen in Arkansas, though, for political reasons.

States without income taxes are booming - Texas, Tennessee, and Florida all say it helps create jobs.

Archived