Texarkana Stats and Info

bigboyz05

Texarkana is the medical, financial, business, cultural and transportation hub for NE Texas, SW Arkansas and SE Oklahoma.

POPULATION

Texarkana Population: 67,000

Urban Area: 82,000

Metro: 150,000

MEDICAL

St. Michael Hospital

Wadley Regional Medical Center

RACIAL BREAKDOWN

Latin: 5%

Black: 24%

White: 70%

Asian: 1%

EDUCATION

High Schools: 4

Jr. College: Texarkana College

4 yr. University: Texas A&M university- which is currently expanding on 300 acres of land on the north side.

TRANSPORTATION

Airlines: Continental Express offers jet service to Houston and American Eagle has service to Dallas

City Bus: T-Line

Passenger Train: Amtrak

Taxi: Yellow Cab and City Taxi

RECREATION

There's not alot to do but we have two beautiful days, Millwood and Wright Patman Lakes. Where you can either go fish or relax. Crystal Springs which is located south of the city is a water park with water rides and a beach. Springlake Park, located in the northcentral part of town is the city's largest and has playground equipment, bike and walking trails. You can fish or feed the ducks. Fireworks are shot in the park on the 4th of July and baseball games are played there as well.

If you have any other questions about Texarkana, feel free to ask.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MEDICAL CONTINUED

Texarkana is also home to the UAMS AHEC- Medical Library SW as well as many clinics.

RECREATION CONTINUED

Texarkana has a Symphony Orchestra and the Perot Theater offers many plays and performances throughout the year. There are an abundance of festivals and events such as the Quadrangle Festival downtown, Four States Fair and Blue Grass Festival just to name a few.

^I didn't realize Texarkana had a symphony orchestra. That's a great cultural offering for a combined city of less than 70,000!!!

Also, the new A&M campus is going to be awesome, and an excellent asset to Texarkana. That school will already offer more than any school in my metro.

^I didn't realize Texarkana had a symphony orchestra. That's a great cultural offering for a combined city of less than 70,000!!!

Also, the new A&M campus is going to be awesome, and an excellent asset to Texarkana. That school will already offer more than any school in my metro.

Yes, I was quite amazed my self when we got the orchestra last year. I'm so excited about the new university and engineering school. That will open up so many possibilities for this city.

It's a pretty good system. It passes by all the major shopping and employment places in town. The city is in the process of purchasing larger buses and expanding routes. A new route may even be added.

It IS a good system. The buses are small, but I believe the larger buses will be pretty full as well.

mcheiss: I don't know about actual numbers, but I was completely impressed by the ridership when I was living in Texarkana. The small buses stopped at my apartment complex and picked up quite a few peolpe every day, onto a bus that was already loaded.

Yes, I was quite amazed my self when we got the orchestra last year. I'm so excited about the new university and engineering school. That will open up so many possibilities for this city.

So the orchestra just came about last year. But still having one in a metro that size is pretty nice. I'm wondering how the new university will compare to some of Arkansas' universities and colleges.

So the orchestra just came about last year. But still having one in a metro that size is pretty nice. I'm wondering how the new university will compare to some of Arkansas' universities and colleges.

When the university is completed it's supposed to have an enrollment up to 10,000. I believe a lot of business will pour in here as a result of the new university.

When the university is completed it's supposed to have an enrollment up to 10,000. I believe a lot of business will pour in here as a result of the new university.

That's not bad at all. Being a college town has some nice advantages too.

Undoubtedly that new campus will be one of the best things to happen to Texarkana in a while. It will greatly expand the college's current offerings as well as bring more students into the area.

Yeah, I can't wait! It may bring more things for young people in their late teens and 20's to do.

Archived