Phoenix!!!

turlough

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. It looks like Phoenix needs a little help in the skyline department though. It's so sprawling, & has very few skyscrapers, at least for a city with 1.3 million & a metro of 3.5 million. I did notice on ss.com that they do have 2 approved & 4 proposed skyscrapers...at least that's better than my city!

Guest donaltopablo

Although Phoenix could really use some additional density (which is coming) to the DT area, part of the reason their skyline is very short is due to the height restriction because the DT is in the flight path of the airport. I wouldn't expect to see any majorly tall buildings in Phoenix anytime soon.

However, Phoenix does have some interesting buildings and architecture.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must say, I was dissapointed in Scottsdale. I visited my brother there. miles and miles of bare faced concrete block walls surrounding all the new houses yards. In a place like Scottsdale, I at least expected them to be covered with a layer of stucco. Very drab for such a nice place. Great landscaping around the avenues and freeways. Just really hated all the bare walls. Loved seeing the new developments downtown Phoenix. Just the beginning I'm sure

Great landscaping around the avenues and freeways.

Yes! I loved all the lizards and indigeneous people (I forget what that guy's name is) on the walls of the freeways. I almost got into an accident looking at them, but then again it's not too hard to get in an accident around there.

• 3 weeks later...

Phoenix has suffered from no defined urban center. There is a push on to change that with several urban residential builders getting in the mix. Some concern as to whether the market can absorb all the planned units but with the inclusion of the light rail, a new Arizona State Univ downtown campus and the existing sporting venues, it could work. It's simply the battle to pull development back downtown given the suburban development boom in housing currently underway.

I got a copy of the UA Business Affairs Annual Report 2004-2005 which has a rendering of the new UA College of Medicine in Phoenix. Very impressive.

The light rail should work to link the current major employment centers (Central Avenue Corridor, Downtown Phoenix, Downtown Tempe) and will drive in-fill growth and development along the corridor, but will do little to alleviate congestion coming in to these areas. Although, maybe that was the original plan.

• 1 month later...

There isn't a whole lot of activity from people in the PHX area on this board. Or the entire west, for that matter.

Because few people who live in Phx are from Phx; therefore they don't really care. Kinda sad.

I personally really like Phx but the metro is way to fragmented for anything truly exciting to happen.

Very nice photos. I've never been to Phoenix, but knowing many people who've lived there, I'd like to visit. My travels pretty-much keep me in the south and midwest, never out west.

Thanks for sharing.

Too bad the aerial photo doesn't appear to be loading... I'd love to see that one.

Archived