Scott's Addition

scootergirl

I checked out the condos they've nearly finished in the building that is directly in front of the Style Weekly offices at Summit and Norfolk, just west of the Boulevard. The building is an old radiator factory. The condos are pretty alright, although I can't say that I agree with the 2nd bedroom as tiny dark cave when paying $200k+ for nothing more than a 1000 sq ft condo, but hey, who am I to judge. one cool factor is that they kept the loading dock roll-up doors on 5 of the units. instead of lamenting no porch, you can just roll up the door on to Summit St and do whatever it is that one might do whilest swinging his or her legs out of a car sized door on northside...?

Anyhoo, the realtor fellow who was giving me the tour was telling me about all SORTS of semi-non-specific plans in the works for that neighborhood. A great big movie theatre right off of Broad St? One of the buildings near the Sauers factory (which is turning into what exactly?), I think? a mixed use something or other with a Whole Foods to bolster and draw other tenants? seriously, the dude was telling me so many things and just sort of waving vaguely towards broad st that it all seemed at least half made up. obviously since scott's addition recently got the historic designation, I'd expect folks to gobble it up and make stuff occur, but that neighborhood has always been so completely industrial with a smattering of working class housing.

I suppose that the secondary point is that I never expected there to be fancy condos 2 blocks from my machine shop, and the primary point is wondering if anyone has any more concrete information on that neck of the woods.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all I know is I miss stopping for trains at that intersection.... happened like once or twice. But I think it's a neat part of town. I like the houses coming up in Newtowne and I wish they'd build those like that all over the city... with more inspiration from Queen Anne and in some spots Greek Revival (mainly Church and Union Hills and Shockoe). But I am sorry to ruin your thread with this jibberish. I don't follow the condo market. I'll never afford one or would really live in one (I'd probably get a Riverside or Vistas one just to have a getaway over the river).

Scooter, here's a bit of history from old man Burt. Back in WWII days there was an immensely popular roller skating rink in Scott's Addition called The Cavalier Arena north of Broad on a street I believe was named McTavish. I twirled around that floor dodging multitudes of skaters many times while an organist played the Wurlitzer. Last I looked, the building was still there.

Wakefield Grill, generally known as "Chicken in the Rough", packed 'em in on the north side of Broad approximately where The Comfort Inn is now.

And Moore's Field, a ballpark built for the Richmond Colts when they abandoned Mayo's Island, flourished in Scotts Addition. It had about 5000 seats. I don't remember its exact location.

The Coca Cola plant has just been sold and is to be converted to condos. And its four loading bays I suppose will be utilized in a similar way to the ones you have described. :)

Sauer's storage warehouse is, I think, the old Sears building on the north side of Broad between Allen and Meadow (Hermitage Rd). Do you think your enthusiastic real estate agent was referring to it when he talked of Whole Foods and further development?

The cineplex is pretty definite and will occupy the old locomotive factory on The Boulevard near or at Leigh. I think the entire development is to be called Boulevard Square and will include restaurants and retail. The Bowtie Company out of NYCity is the developer, and they also plan to build a mix of cinemas, retail and residential at Main/Cary/3rd and 4th streets downtown. It has already been named Jefferson Square.

That's Uncle Burt's lesson for today. :lol: And keep your eyes open so we can enjoy more of your reports.

Scooter, there's a nice piece in today's TD about the Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition. It starts at 6PM next Friday at Artspace, 0 East 4th Street, and continues with a mile and a quarter conducted walking tour across (well the story says Manchester bridge but I wonder if the writer didn't mean Mayo bridge). It will include sculptures at La Difference and other works in the River District, then wind back across the bridge and end with a reception at Legend Brewing. That's our friend Gnome's bar overlooking the James and offering spectacular views of the skyline.

Last year about 200 were expected for the opening but a horde of 1200 arrived.

The Sculpture Exhibit will continue, 24/7, thru October 29th.

See Roy Proctor's story in the Arts Section of today's TD.

I guess I should have put this posting under "Events". Maybe Guy will move it.

oh don't worry...you're certainly not hijacking my thread. I'm not actually planning on buying a condo at all as I'd far prefer to find a warehouse that hasn't been made into itty bitty apartments and keep it all to myself. I've just been looking for an apartment and in seaching for a place that I'm really happy to call home has led me down some really odd paths.

ah ha, I just didn't have a bead on exactly *where* the cinema would be going. I know exactly that building--my shop was off of hermitage behind the john deere place (that is now something else too!) for some time. and I'll tell you what...I think those trains were scheduled to precisely interrupt my trip when I desperately had to pee.

I love the history lessons about various parts of town. Being a big cheerleader for all things Richmond, being able to learn about how all of our old stuff fits together is truly fascinating. If you come down to Manchester for the outdoor sculpture exhibition, you'll easily spot my shop. it'll be the one with the gigantic rainbow sparkly castle in the front yard..? this building used to be a coffee roaster or storage warehouse (perhaps both). you can see where there must have been a fire at some point, probably in the 20s or 30s judging by the construction that replaced the damaged original stuff, as the ceiling of the main floor changes from 12" square posts to concrete and i-beams. come by and say hello if you're in the neighborhood.

I love Richmond's history too. And if you reference another section of the board, you'll see how strict I am about some things. I go by the book, even if the world says one thing, if it's reported offically as something, I'll go by the offical title. I'm going to have a week day off again! So that means I'll do pictures on the weekend date and research on the weekday. I will finally be able to put together Richmond's true neighborhood map much like Henrico did with theirs. I'll learn more about Manchester and I plan to start taking pic there once I get over my thousands left. If you see someone taking pics of every corner and the intersection itself, it's me. See you then!

• 11 months later...

I noticed the other day that Grub and Ellis had taken over the building across Leigh from the Richmond Steel building (where the new theater will be) so I decided to check and see how much it was leasing for. It appears Style Weekly will be relocating into a more visible location right off of Boulevard. Glad to see it!

1207 North Boulevard

I drove all around the western section of Scotts Addition looking for signs of the upcoming FUSION and Ice Bar but never found anything that might have been it. I thought it was supposed to be near the Coca Cola Building, but if so, I missed it.

Does anyone know if it is still a viable project?

I drove all around the western section of Scotts Addition looking for signs of the upcoming FUSION and Ice Bar but never found anything that might have been it. I thought it was supposed to be near the Coca Cola Building, but if so, I missed it.

Does anyone know if it is still a viable project?

I was just a teeny bit off in my description. It IS at the intersection of Roseneath and Clay and it is directly diagonally across from Coca Cola on the Northeast corner. I went by it yesterday when I picked up my car from Volks Home, a Volkswagen repair shop directly next door to Fusion.

There used to be a dance club in Roanoke called Fusion. Although I don't dance, and don't really like most of the music they played there, I used to go there (about 7 years ago, right when I turned 21) just to hang out and drink. Now that I look back, it wasn't my style at all. But yeah, I don't really like the name 'Fusion' either.

• 2 weeks later...
There used to be a dance club in Roanoke called Fusion. Although I don't dance, and don't really like most of the music they played there, I used to go there (about 7 years ago, right when I turned 21) just to hang out and drink. Now that I look back, it wasn't my style at all. But yeah, I don't really like the name 'Fusion' either.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

ADC II LLC has purchased at 1.8 acre parcel which includes a 63,000 sq ft warehouse at 1300 Mactavish Ave for $1.45 million. Plans are in the works to redevelop the land. Wonder what it will be?

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/06/11/the-pipeline-commercial-real-estate-round-up-for-6-11-10/

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/commercial-real-estate-round-up-6-14-10/222127/

http://www.thalhimer.com/news/item/scotts_addition_industrial_property_sold

MacTavish is also the real name of the neighborhood where it's located. Scott, MacTavish, and Hoyt owned land together in a couple sections of the city. I am not sure how the middle property's name took over the other two additions.

Archived