RiverPlace Carillon Design

RestedTraveler

RiverPlace Carillon Design Poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the RiverPlace Carillon Designs would you have chosen?

• Grant Studio Architects: Boston MA
    • Brian Campa, AIA: Atlanta, GA
    • C. Crawford Murphy Associates: Asheville, NC
    • DP3 Architects, Ltd.: Greenville, SC
    • Philip Whitley: Greenville, SC
    • Donald E. Reszel, AIA: Atlanta, GA
    • Pazdan-Smith Group Architects: Greenville, SC
    • William Ma, AIA, LEED: Atlanta, GA
    • David R. Moore, II, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC
    • Scott E. Powell, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC

As you likely know by now, a Carillon Design for RiverPlace has been chosen from among many varried and interesting designs. I have to admit, after reviewing each of the designs, I think I understand why the judges of the competition chose the winning design (i.e. this will in actuallity be a CHIME and not a CARILLON with only 22 bells instead of 23; therefore, the design resembles more of a giant wind chime than a carillon).

However, public opinion still appears to vary. This prompts me to post this poll.

From among these designs, which would you have chosen?

1: Grant Studio Architects: Boston MA

218838011_d353b3ef0d.jpg218838013_41e5641649.jpg218838017_4bfd528f08.jpg

2: Brian Campa, AIA: Atlanta, GA

218838020_21bf719fa1.jpg218838023_59f78aed5f.jpg218838027_cec13854b3.jpg

3: C. Crawford Murphy Associates: Asheville, NC

218843646_7ed0023438.jpg218843644_efdd3af4d5.jpg

4: DP3 Architects, Ltd.: Greenville, SC

218843649_85b58a3d6c.jpg218843654_93e26b4a76.jpg218843652_907958f7a1.jpg

5: Philip Whitley: Greenville, SC

218849253_0b9a80a33f.jpg218849257_14f25cf211.jpg

6: Donald E. Reszel, AIA: Atlanta, GA

218849261_6499f25376.jpg218849258_c97121a81f.jpg218849263_5898d10a94.jpg

7: Pazdan-Smith Group Architects: Greenville, SC

218853917_9e934aa736.jpg

8: William Ma, AIA, LEED: Atlanta, GA

218853918_f893e17648.jpg

9: David R. Moore, II, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC

218853920_8eabcea791.jpg

10: Scott E. Powell, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC

218853922_e07cc823a6.jpg

And the winners are...

218843647_a8375d0863.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like # 2 and 6 the most, but just about any of them would have been better than the one that was chosen. Sorry guys, but I think someone dropped the ball on this one. This was an opportunity to make something really unique, even iconic. But the winner looks more like an upright version of the prong thing Ron Popeil used for his rotisserie chicken oven roasters! I only hope it looks a whole lot better in real life. It would not hav ehurt us to pick something a little more daring and original.

I really prefer #6 and #2 as well. I suspect the cost of constructing either is somewhat prohibitive though, which may be why neither were chosen.

And, seeing as the structure will have only 22 bells, it is not officially considered a carillon by the proper authorities. It will merely be a chime, so the design chosen seems fitting as a giant wind chime. :lol:

To tell you the truth, I'd love to know what went through the minds of the judges, where those judges came from, and why in the World they would choose the most ridiculously simple design over all the rest. :blink:

The judges were:

218843647_a8375d0863.jpg

I still hold to my theory that they picked the one that best resembled a giant wind chime since this will officially be chime (less than 23 bells), not a carillon (23 or more bells). :lol:

Here is an interesting website where you can hear small audio clips of many different carillons from around the World. Furman University's Burnside Carillon is on the list as well. :shades:

I noticed the judges in the photo, but for some reason I can't help but think there must be a conspiracy against adding another icon to the RiverPlace development. This is a fabulous opportunity to add a one-of-a-kind sculpture or architectural marvel, but the chosen work will be very plain. :huh:

I may very well eat those words once I hear Christmas carols being played this December though. ^_^

I like the chosen design best - it is architecturally sound, emphasizes the bells, materials and proportion, and will not go out of style. Also, its bronze and right-angles will stand in ideal counterpoise with Liberty Bridge. #6 is in the whimsical post-modern vernacular - not bad, poorly proportioned and essentially 1990s design and too self-consciously new-urbanist. The firm underestimated Greenville’s sophistication, I think. #8 is a high risk design, obviously - could have turned out the best or the worst, and hard to tell which from an illustration. I also agree #2 is, well, #2 - a fine design, would have worked. Miliken would have chosen it for its solidity, but Tommy Wyche goes for open form every time.

Something that stands out about the chosen design is the upper bulk - atop thin columns, a copper (?) plate of that heft will be very dramatic from directly beneath. Its surfaces also promise the most interesting interplay of light, water, and reflection - appropriate, given it will make sound.

I also like #6 and #2 better. They create more of a landmark. However, RiverPlace itself is a landmark, so it might be good that they don't overcrwod it with landmarks.

dpa has good points. I liked #6 because it feels like a more traditional Southern monument. But maybe thats what they were trying to avoid?

dpa has good points. I liked #6 because it feels like a more traditional Southern monument. But maybe thats what they were trying to avoid?

that's exactly why i don't like it...it's to easy, looks like it didn't have much thought or time put into it.

personally i would gor for #2 or #4...#2 because it creates a nice landmark and #4 because it is more arty and organin feeling.

I like #2 the best. It is adventurous and iconic, yet it does not dominate the surroundings. It is simple, but not so simple that it fails to make a statement. Too bad it didn't win.

I am disappointed with the #1 choice. It isn't awful or anything, but given the entries it is a poor selection. It will be a simple addition to RiverPlace that will look good. Nobody will ever look at it and say, "Wow, this is so awesome, it obviously won a competition." Instead, it screams "Cool, the city asked someone to design some chimes to go here." Nothing wrong with simplicity, but for all the hoopla over a carillon design competition, this is a disappointment.

I would hope that the architects who submitted designs were given a cost range for their design to fall within. I would hate to think that a firm would spend time on a rendering that fails to fall within the project's budget.

The bottom line, however, is that a carillon design contest should only consider entries that are actually carillons. It is pathetic that the winner was not a carillon, but CHIMES! I hope our city doesn't come across as a bunch of idiots by having a plaque commemorating the carillon, when in reality it is chimes. They do realize that they changed the project mid-stream, making it a chime competition rather than a carillon competition, right? Perhaps that is why this rendering was chosen - all the other submissions were carillons, not chimes! :lol:

The bottom line, however, is that a carillon design contest should only consider entries that are actually carillons. It is pathetic that the winner was not a carillon, but CHIMES! I hope our city doesn't come across as a bunch of idiots by having a plaque commemorating the carillon, when in reality it is chimes. They do realize that they changed the project mid-stream, making it a chime competition rather than a carillon competition, right? Perhaps that is why this rendering was chosen - all the other submissions were carillons, not chimes! :lol:

Keep in mind that the status of this (i.e. Carillon vs. Chimes) is dictated solely by the number of bells. Each and every entry, regardless of the design, would have in the end been merely chimes rather than a carillon. The only thing that will change this is an additional bell. I like the idea of a commemorative bell being cast to complete the project. :thumbsup:

Is it possible that the leaders of this project actually do not know about the carillon (23 bell) designation? If they did, it really does seem like they would find another bell from somewhere, heck , maybe all of us can throw in some change for a cowbell or something :P

Do not forget that the Bells were donated and where they came from. The entries had 22 bells becuase that were told to make a design for 22 bells. Really, who honestly cares weather or not it is a true Carillion with 23 bells, it really makes no difference. And for all we know there may be a great story as to why there are 22.

Do not forget that the Bells were donated and where they came from. The entries had 22 bells becuase that were told to make a design for 22 bells. Really, who honestly cares weather or not it is a true Carillion with 23 bells, it really makes no difference. And for all we know there may be a great story as to why there are 22.

This has not been forgotten at all (at least in my case). I know full good and well where the bells came from. :P

As far as who cares whether this is a true Carillon or not, I think the World Carillon Federation cares. The Guild of Carillonneurs in North America probably cares, too. What matters here is that the structure was being billed as something that it's not, and that's unfortunate. -_-

Obviously though, there is a quick remedy to this: a 23rd bell, as has been suggested. And, what better way to add a 23rd bell than to have the van Bergen Company cast a commemorative bell to complete the set and make it an official carillon? It seems like an idea that the City of Greenville should jump on, in my humble opinion. :thumbsup: That, I believe, would make a great story even better. :yahoo:

I find it very intriguing that so many of you like number 6, as it is my least favorite. I find it to be rather boring and old hat.

My favorite is number 5. I like how it pulls your eye to the sky, creating its own point of interest within the space of Riverplace. I also like how the tall spires remind me of the bridge on the other side of Main St, pulling the two spaces into a cohesive design. Finally, it doesn't detract from the already interesting architecture in the space.

Other than that one, I kind of like number 1.

I find it very intriguing that so many of you like number 6, as it is my least favorite. I find it to be rather boring and old hat.

My favorite is number 5. I like how it pulls your eye to the sky, creating its own point of interest within the space of Riverplace. I also like how the tall spires remind me of the bridge on the other side of Main St, pulling the two spaces into a cohesive design. Finally, it doesn't detract from the already interesting architecture in the space.

Other than that one, I kind of like number 1.

My mom likes numbers 1 and 5 the best too, while I like numbers 2 and 6 the best.

Archived