RiverPlace Carillon Design

RestedTraveler

RiverPlace Carillon Design Poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the RiverPlace Carillon Designs would you have chosen?

• Grant Studio Architects: Boston MA
    • Brian Campa, AIA: Atlanta, GA
    • C. Crawford Murphy Associates: Asheville, NC
    • DP3 Architects, Ltd.: Greenville, SC
    • Philip Whitley: Greenville, SC
    • Donald E. Reszel, AIA: Atlanta, GA
    • Pazdan-Smith Group Architects: Greenville, SC
    • William Ma, AIA, LEED: Atlanta, GA
    • David R. Moore, II, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC
    • Scott E. Powell, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, a bit off-topic here--sorry. But, can someone post what the time frame is for this being installed/constructed/erected or whatever you call what they have to do to have this completed?

My understanding is that the entries are ideas and only that when they were submitted. Meaning, no plans drawn up or anything. So, once the winner was announced, then plans could be drawn... So, however long it takes for the winner to draw up plans, order materials, submit the design to the city for approval, and then for it to be constructed will be how long it takes. It's not going to be ready to be built this week and I'd say it would probably be another month atleast... The timeline is a total guess though.

My understanding is that the entries are ideas and only that when they were submitted. Meaning, no plans drawn up or anything. So, once the winner was announced, then plans could be drawn... So, however long it takes for the winner to draw up plans, order materials, submit the design to the city for approval, and then for it to be constructed will be how long it takes. It's not going to be ready to be built this week and I'd say it would probably be another month atleast... The timeline is a total guess though.

If we know anything about projects in Gville, probably ten years :rofl:

If we know anything about projects in Gville, probably ten years :rofl:

I feel your grief, but I disagree about Greenville generally trending toward long project delays. Examples: Falls Park on the Reedy, the historic Westin Poinsett Hotel renovation, West End Field, RiverPlace, etc...

If this is the final design, it will likely be built real soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the status of this (i.e. Carillon vs. Chimes) is dictated solely by the number of bells. Each and every entry, regardless of the design, would have in the end been merely chimes rather than a carillon. The only thing that will change this is an additional bell. I like the idea of a commemorative bell being cast to complete the project. :thumbsup:

I wonder how many people would even know about this designation requirement. There is a "Carillon Garden" on Clemson campus in front of Tillman, that only has one bell that I can see. Perhaps we are splitting hairs with this one, and it is more like the difference between a mountain and a hill. If people call it a mountain, then it is a mountain. Just for thought.

I wonder how many people would even know about this designation requirement. There is a "Carillon Garden" on Clemson campus in front of Tillman, that only has one bell that I can see. Perhaps we are splitting hairs with this one, and it is more like the difference between a mountain and a hill. If people call it a mountain, then it is a mountain. Just for thought.

Perhaps so; however, isn't it is our duty to help erase ignorance of such things? I mean, heck...it may be splitting hairs or seem trivial; however, it's not trivial to the people that are the authorities on such things. The way I see it, a plaque could be part of the finished product here - a nice plaque that explains the difference between a chime and a carillon so that the casual passer-by could perhaps be educated. It's an opportunity to really do the right thing in this case and I hope that the folks in charge of this little project seize the opportunity because to do otherwise wouldn't be very Greenvillian.

I'm pretty familiar with the Carillon Garden between Sikes and Tillman as this area was the subject of many of my earlier attempts at being a photographer. Thinking about it now makes me want to visit this weekend and take some photos again, even.

Just for thought, I should mention that the "Carillon" being referred to in name "Carillon Garden" at Clemson University is the Carillon in Tillman Hall, itself, not the old lone Tillman Hall Bell that now rests in a memorial in the garden. The Garden itself was a gift of the Class of '47, I believe, as a memorial to all of those from the Class of '47 that lost their lives during WW II. The Bell Memorial, I believe was a gift of the class of '37 or '39 (can't remember which).

The intent in the name "Carillon Garden" is that it is a good place to sit and reflect and listen to the carillon from Tillman Hall. The carillon, which by the way, has 47 (again, class of '47) bells, replaced the old lone bell, which can now be found at that memorial. I think the carillon was installed back in the '80s and the garden/bell memorial were dedicated in the early 90's. I'd have to go back and look at photos I've taken to be sure.

Makes sense, of course I didn't realize it was for Tilman, or that a carillon was in tilman. Perhaps the sineage should read "Tilman Carillon Garden" so that the average person could see that it is supposed to be for Tilman, and not just the lone bell that is seen. And I do agree that we should just get another bell from somewhere if we are going to call it a carillon

Not to get us too far off topic, but the Tillman carillon is actually played mostly by one lady (she has been doing it for years). Clemson students volunteer to fill in for her when she isn't there. So whenever you hear the carillon, someone is in the tower of Tillman Hall playing it. I think that is pretty cool, especially since it gets played at virtually all hours. :thumbsup:

Not to get us too far off topic, but the Tillman carillon is actually played mostly by one lady (she has been doing it for years). Clemson students volunteer to fill in for her when she isn't there. So whenever you hear the carillon, someone is in the tower of Tillman Hall playing it. I think that is pretty cool, especially since it gets played at virtually all hours. :thumbsup:

That's the way it is with many carillons. There's one carilloneur that's responsible for making sure they ring. At Clemson, is that Linda Dzuris?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Seems to happen quite a bit around here. These big things get proposed and then get put on "indefinite hold" and then never seem to happen. ie, this, Bookends 2, RP 2/3, Go Center/Reedy Sq, Washington Sq, Green Monster, Rt St project, SW airlines announcement... :whistling::rolleyes:

The interesting thing about this is that the winning designer's website says that they are finishing up the construction documents for this. However, I have no idea how outdated, or up to date, this information may be...

Seems to happen quite a bit around here. These big things get proposed and then get put on "indefinite hold" and then never seem to happen. ie, this, Bookends 2, RP 2/3, Go Center/Reedy Sq, Washington Sq, Green Monster, Rt St project, SW airlines announcement... whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Ummm...Reedy Square is still a go. They just need the money. Washington Square is moving forward. Demolition of the woolworth building started earlier today. The green monster building is going to be demolished to make way for a mixed use development. Some people seem to forget that the economy isn't in the best of shapes right now. ;)

Ummm...Reedy Square is still a go. They just need the money. Washington Square is moving forward. Demolition of the woolworth building started earlier today. The green monster building is going to be demolished to make way for a mixed use development. Some people seem to forget that the economy isn't in the best of shapes right now. ;)

The green monster building, assuming you're talking about the one by the Army/Navy Store, isn't being demolished. They're renovating/restoring it and last I heard will be adding a floor or two at the top. They've already removed all of the green paint from the bricks.

lol, scratch that. just read the other thread about this.

• 1 month later...

The green monster building, assuming you're talking about the one by the Army/Navy Store, isn't being demolished. They're renovating/restoring it and last I heard will be adding a floor or two at the top. They've already removed all of the green paint from the bricks.lol, scratch that. just read the other thread about this.

So what did happen to this carillon???? :dontknow:

So what did happen to this carillon???? :dontknow:

If you find out, let me know. Of all the things pending in Greenville before I moved away, this was the one to which I was looking forward the most. I was hopeful that it would happen before I was gone. I dig chimes/carillons. Too bad...I'll just have to live vicariously through photos (if and when it ever gets installed).

If you find out, let me know. Of all the things pending in Greenville before I moved away, this was the one to which I was looking forward the most. I was hopeful that it would happen before I was gone. I dig chimes/carillons. Too bad...I'll just have to live vicariously through photos (if and when it ever gets installed).

As slow as this has been, you'll probably find out in Charleston before we find out locally. :lol: I just don't get it. Doesn't seem that complicated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully the UP effect will occur with the carillon. ;)

The "UP effect", like common sense and good taste, seems to have flown out the window with this project. While the idea of a carillon/chime at RiverPlace is GREAT, the execution so far has been ridiculously poor, starting with the winning selection.

• 2 years later...

Archived