RiverPlace Carillon Design

RestedTraveler

RiverPlace Carillon Design Poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the RiverPlace Carillon Designs would you have chosen?

• Grant Studio Architects: Boston MA
    • Brian Campa, AIA: Atlanta, GA
    • C. Crawford Murphy Associates: Asheville, NC
    • DP3 Architects, Ltd.: Greenville, SC
    • Philip Whitley: Greenville, SC
    • Donald E. Reszel, AIA: Atlanta, GA
    • Pazdan-Smith Group Architects: Greenville, SC
    • William Ma, AIA, LEED: Atlanta, GA
    • David R. Moore, II, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC
    • Scott E. Powell, AIA (Craig Gaulden & Davis, Inc.): Greenville, SC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fantastic! Is it indeed the winner from this competition that is being built?

I believe so. Here is a PDF file on it from the city: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/CouncilAgendas/minutes/2011/NOVEMBER/Formal/11-14-2011/Item13a-%20Amendment%20to%20RiverPlace%20Development%20Agreement.pdf and article from the G-Journal: http://www.journalwatchdog.com/city/1286-bells-will-be-ringing-downtown

• 1 month later...

The carillon is being installed today.

Is the public allowed to play this, or will it be restricted access to the keys? I imagine the people at the Hampton Inn, Riverwalk, and Terrace would prefer official bell concerts only. However, do we know if this will keep time, or be just for musical purposes?

Is the public allowed to play this, or will it be restricted access to the keys? I imagine the people at the Hampton Inn, Riverwalk, and Terrace would prefer official bell concerts only. However, do we know if this will keep time, or be just for musical purposes?

Not sure. I noticed the speaker system being installed at the top so it will definitely be making some music.

Not sure. I noticed the speaker system being installed at the top so it will definitely be making some music.

"...speaker system..."? With a set of 22 bells cast in 1938 having been donated, for what purpose does it need speakers? According to RiverPlace's own web site, "With 22 bells, any tune can be played." (http://www.riverplacesc.com/news/05-05-06-GSA.php)

Perhaps it will play the sound of a 23rd bell in a lame attempt to meet the requirements for acceptance by The Guild of Carilloneurs of North America (23 or more bells) instead of being classified as a mere "chime" (up to 22 bells) Personally, I'd like to see a fund started to complete the set by adding one more bell. For now we'll have to accept the city as "one bell short of a real carillon."

Perhaps it will play the sound of a 23rd bell in a lame attempt to meet the requirements for acceptance by The Guild of Carilloneurs of North America (23 or more bells) instead of being classified as a mere "chime" (up to 22 bells) Personally, I'd like to see a fund started to complete the set by adding one more bell. For now we'll have to accept the city as "one bell short of a real carillon."

Maybe it's going to be used as a megaphone to make the bells heard from a greater distance? Seems strange.

It has 25 bells.

7616356368_57e91cb313_z.jpg

7616356916_4bdc5ca5c8_z.jpg

Great photos. Thanks for posting. Overall, the design is OK. Very clean and sleek. Almost TOO clean. Given the years we had to wait on this, the design doesn't exactly ring my bell (had to get that pun in). Has anyone heard the bells? How do they sound?

Archived