Huntington Photo Thread

seicer

I'll start with my measly one photo (until I can get the rest off of the camera after I move) :thumbsup:

3rd Avenue Renovations

This building had a nasty 1950's "modernized" facade that destroyed the historic character of its front. It was not salvagable once the metal sheeting was removed, so the entire front was removed. It is being rebuilt to blend in with the existing structure set.

This is on 3rd Avenue across from Pullman Square.

218880946_6d2b550fce.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The full set can be found at my Huntington, WVA Flickr set.

9th Street Plaza

221751110_4e15a7801d.jpg

What remains of the 9th Street Plaza south of 4th Avenue. The 9th Street Plaza project is aimed at reconstructing the former pedestrian-only plaza. Cars were reintroduced in the mid-1990's after many businesses complained of loss traffic, which resulted in todays haphazard setup of sidewalks, concrete tree planters, and little parking.

221751112_e93c993a19.jpg

Forms have already been installed for center angled parking. This will leave room for 12-foot sidewalks on each side that will feature outdoor seating, 11-foot travel lanes, and center angled parking. This is north of 4th Avenue but south of 3rd Avenue.

Planned Pedestrian Alley Mall

221751115_fc0f399252.jpg

One of Huntington's oddities, this alley between 9th and 10th Street and 3rd and 4th Avenue was planned to be a pedestrian mall. Doors from the back were to lead into the area department stores and local shops, such as Stone and Thomas. The project actually begun with the installation of a new concrete surface and overhead ornamental features. Some stores installed window fronts in the rear and additional doors. The project was abandoned in the late-1970's.

The Frederick

221751117_c6d5dd9c91.jpg

Once known as the Frederick Hotel, it is again seeing new life with extensive renovations that will convert many of its former hotel rooms into apartments and condos.

The Frederick

Once known as the Frederick Hotel, it is again seeing new life with extensive renovations that will convert many of its former hotel rooms into apartments and condos.

Renovations on the ballroom are also underway -- the idea is to begin having jazz and swing bands play there. Some rooms are being renovated into hotel rooms again as well. I believe the plan is to have eleven or twelve nice hotel rooms when they're finished. Supposedly a Turkish Bath in the basement is to be restored as well -- but I've never seen it so I don't know if it really exists.

Developers planning Frederick rebirth

Any 4th Avenue photos? I understand that 4th Avenue between Hal Greer (Marshall/Old Main) and Downtown has (or was going to have) a face lift?

In the mean time, you can't have a Huntington, WV Photo Thread without having one of these:

195127178_b295acaccb.jpg

The next time I return home, I'll be sure to get out and get more photos of the city. This last visit was a very short one, so I didn't have much time for photographic excursions.

This is on 3rd Avenue across from Pullman Square.

218880946_6d2b550fce.jpg

Isn't this the old Super Bee department store? :unsure: Been too long for me to really remember.

• 4 weeks later...

East Huntington Bridge

DSC_3309.jpg

My article on the East Huntington Bridge at Bridges & Tunnels can be found here --

http://www.bridgestunnels.com/index.php?catid=20

What were the first two in the United States? As I recall, this wasn't only the first in WV, but also the first on the east coast. I seem to recall that the other two were out west. People in Charleston (SC); Savannah, Boston, and Tampa Bay may not realize that this one preceeded theirs.

I remember watching this bridge be built between 1983 and 1985, just before I moved to Florida. It seemed they had been discussing it in the news since I was very little...and after reading your article, I now realize that they had. I seem to recall that the original location of the bridge was to be farther to the North up the Ohio River, near Cox Landing, and was going to connect to I-64 via Seven Mile Road. It serves Huntington better in the location that was ultimately chosen, that's for sure. I just wish it had been constructed as four lanes instead of only two. It's a beautiful bridge, and that's a great photo of it. Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:

What were the first two in the United States? As I recall, this wasn't only the first in WV, but also the first on the east coast. I seem to recall that the other two were out west. People in Charleston (SC); Savannah, Boston, and Tampa Bay may not realize that this one preceeded theirs.

I remember watching this bridge be built between 1983 and 1985, just before I moved to Florida. It seemed they had been discussing it in the news since I was very little...and after reading your article, I now realize that they had. I seem to recall that the original location of the bridge was to be farther to the North up the Ohio River, near Cox Landing, and was going to connect to I-64 via Seven Mile Road. It serves Huntington better in the location that was ultimately chosen, that's for sure. I just wish it had been constructed as four lanes instead of only two. It's a beautiful bridge, and that's a great photo of it. Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:

Not for sure. It was constructed as a FHWA demostration project. I need to add more sources since I gleaned it off of several documents. I also have a proposed scketch from the 1980s that showed the toll booths and Phase II, which would have been very nice if constructed. It was still designed as a two-lane facility, because at the time, Proctorville was pretty much a farming community.

Oops. Then Huntingtonians decided to move out there and replace the numerous apple orchards which made Proctorville-Rome famous with housing on a myraid of poorly-planned streets. Have you noticed just how awful their street system is over there?

Oops. Then Huntingtonians decided to move out there and replace the numerous apple orchards which made Proctorville-Rome famous with housing on a myraid of poorly-planned streets. Have you noticed just how awful their street system is over there?

I haven't been to Proctorville for at least ten years, unfortunately.

Since I have a friend that just opened a sound and lighting store next to Johnson's Sports World, I travel to Proctorville often.

I have a lot of pictures that would apply to this thread that a friend took a week ago. He likes to travel Huntington once a year taking pictures of some of the new construction. If possible, he takes before and after photos. I'm just not sure if you want me to post a load of pictures...

Hmm... I'm also not certain how pictures are handled on this board. Do I need to host them elsewhere and just provide a link? Or is there a way to actually attach them to the post?

Since I have a friend that just opened a sound and lighting store next to Johnson's Sports World, I travel to Proctorville often.

I have a lot of pictures that would apply to this thread that a friend took a week ago. He likes to travel Huntington once a year taking pictures of some of the new construction. If possible, he takes before and after photos. I'm just not sure if you want me to post a load of pictures...

Hmm... I'm also not certain how pictures are handled on this board. Do I need to host them elsewhere and just provide a link? Or is there a way to actually attach them to the post?

Looking at other photo threads, people have done large photo dumps. If they are of the same place (e.g. 10 photos of the same place), perhaps a link to the gallery would be approperiate.

I link mine from my Flickr account. If you use Firefox, just right click and copy the URL. When you paste it in, use the image button above - but note to remove "?v=0" from the end of the URL.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those pictures, I have never seen that side of Huntington. I've been to the city many times. When I was a kid my parents took me to Camden Park at least once a year. I've never been past the park, and I've never been downtown. It is a nice city, and looks like it is undergoing a redevelopment, which is good. A lot of the cities of West Virginia were hurt by the decline of coal mining, manufacturing, and steel. I hope they find other ways to bring investment in.

Those are some nice pictures. It looks like Huntington definitely has some southern flavor to it, especially with the picture of the drive-in restaurant. Does Huntington feel somewhat southern or does it have more of a mid-western/Great Lakes feel to it?

I think it has more of a southern feel but since I've only been to a few cities in the South I might not be the best judge. It has a more laid-back feel than Charleston, WV, for example. Wider boulevards, more trees. In the past most people have been fairly friendly, though that may be changing.

Those are some nice pictures. It looks like Huntington definitely has some southern flavor to it, especially with the picture of the drive-in restaurant. Does Huntington feel somewhat southern or does it have more of a mid-western/Great Lakes feel to it?

I spent the first fifteen years of my life growing up in Huntington and the rest of it has been spent mostly in the south. Huntington definitely has more of a Mid-Western feel to it, infused with some Appalachia as well. Let's just say it is unique.

Huntington began as a rail hub, which attracted additional industry; however, i latter years, it has become mostly relegated to the role of a college town, with Marshall University as the literal and figurative center of the community there.

P.S. I spent many a summer day in Camden Park (on the West End), myself, even though I grew up in Altizer (on the East End).

Memories. :wub:

Huntington-Greenville-Colorado,I notice you stay close to the mountains in your travels.:thumbsup:

I spent the first fifteen years of my life growing up in Huntington and the rest of it has been spent mostly in the south. Huntington definitely has more of a Mid-Western feel to it, infused with some Appalachia as well. Let's just say it is unique.

Huntington began as a rail hub, which attracted additional industry; however, i latter years, it has become mostly relegated to the role of a college town, with Marshall University as the literal and figurative center of the community there.

P.S. I spent many a summer day in Camden Park (on the West End), myself, even though I grew up in Altizer (on the East End).

Memories. :wub:

What could be a possible cause of people not being as friendly as they once were?

I think it has more of a southern feel but since I've only been to a few cities in the South I might not be the best judge. It has a more laid-back feel than Charleston, WV, for example. Wider boulevards, more trees. In the past most people have been fairly friendly, though that may be changing.

I think to one degree or another, it's a problem with our entire society, not only in Huntington. For years we've become more and more concerned with getting our own way, looking out for ourselves, and not with helping others.

In Huntington specifically, the rise of the drug trade is making people more suspicious of neighbors (let alone strangers). It hasn't permeated the town yet, but I can already see people becoming more closed than they were.

Huntington dosen't look like a place that would have much of a drug problem. Is meth becoming an issue or is it some other drug?

I think to one degree or another, it's a problem with our entire society, not only in Huntington. For years we've become more and more concerned with getting our own way, looking out for ourselves, and not with helping others.

In Huntington specifically, the rise of the drug trade is making people more suspicious of neighbors (let alone strangers). It hasn't permeated the town yet, but I can already see people becoming more closed than they were.

• 1 month later...

All of my Huntington streetscape images can be found here.

You may also like the Cityscape of Huntington, West Virginia article at Wikipedia that I have worked on, along with others.

--

Remember this building?

218880946_6d2b550fce.jpg

It is now...

308340584_625c2a40a8.jpg

The Cook Store is opening to the right. I think that the renovated brick building on the left will host a culinary school where people can receive "taste tests" IIRC.

Along 4th Avenue

308340583_a8934989fd.jpg

293825650_3ce49fe6ce.jpg

293825651_c7ee1627bd.jpg

Formerly a Burger King, this building has been renovated extensively.

308340582_7700927d08.jpg

308338536_aae69cd0f8.jpg

Old Camelot Theatre

308338535_c42bf7ab69.jpg

308338532_d543112046.jpg

West Virginia Building

293825653_4f21468955.jpg

Huntington Arcade

293825664_4e2168c8e5.jpg

293825659_1a69e0a05a.jpg

293825655_7af50b7fe9.jpg

9th Street Plaza nearing completion