Uptown Photo Tour

UrbanCharlotte

Wow, that skyline shot of Miami looks amazing. So much larger than I thought it would be. I was convinced it must be Dubai also when I looked at it. It looks like a similar amount of construction. I think Miami and Las Vegas are the U.S. leaders when it comes to large scale construction. Other cities such as Charlotte and Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Raleigh, and Phoenix also have a large amount, however. I don't know why Miami has so many high rises going on, but the person above is correct that most are residential. I would assume this spells a large population increase for Miami. Skyscrapers don't really mean much to me, but congratulations are in order for Miami, because that is an impressive sight. Charlotte's downtown growth is picking up speed, and that last skyline shot really looked impressive to me. I wonder does Miami have a 1,000 ft + skyscraper as of yet? I was thinking they didn't have one above 800 ft.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that skyline shot of Miami looks amazing. So much larger than I thought it would be. I was convinced it must be Dubai also when I looked at it. It looks like a similar amount of construction. I think Miami and Las Vegas are the U.S. leaders when it comes to large scale construction. Other cities such as Charlotte and Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Raleigh, and Phoenix also have a large amount, however. I don't know why Miami has so many high rises going on, but the person above is correct that most are residential. I would assume this spells a large population increase for Miami. Skyscrapers don't really mean much to me, but congratulations are in order for Miami, because that is an impressive sight. Charlotte's downtown growth is picking up speed, and that last skyline shot really looked impressive to me. I wonder does Miami have a 1,000 ft + skyscraper as of yet? I was thinking they didn't have one above 800 ft.

Nope, no 1000+ or 800+ footer yet... emphasis on "yet".

Also, as stated before, that skyline shot of Miami is old. It was taken well before the construction boom that is shown by that picture of all those cranes earlier.

I'm not sure how updated of an image this is, but this is a rendering I found on the City of Miami's website of the current and future form of the city:

AreaComposite.jpg

Really puts Charlotte to shame. We'd be lucky just to have as many buildings as Miami has proposed and approved. Not that our infrastructure could handle it though... just sayin.

Really puts Charlotte to shame. We'd be lucky just to have as many buildings as Miami has proposed and approved. Not that our infrastructure could handle it though... just sayin.

Unless you are Tokyo, then any other city can be "put to shame" as you put it, by some other city. I don't think it really matters however to the people that live in these places. Remember we are not here to be boosters for skyscrapers, but rather for better urban environments.

Unless you are Tokyo, then any other city can be "put to shame" as you put it, by some other city. I don't think it really matters however to the people that live in these places. Remember we are not here to be boosters for skyscrapers, but rather for better urban environments.

I know I know, thus the reason for having said "just sayin." And I would use Dubai rather than Tokyo as the "model" for new urban growth which currently has more towers under construction than actually built as well as more towers approved than actually built as well. If all towers app and UC are finished, the city will go from only having 190 'high rises' (by emporis's definition) to over 760. That to me is just amazing. Strange fact: 1 out of every 36 towers currently under construction in the world is in Dubai.

Anyway, attempting to get back on topic, Charlotte has a lot to be proud of. While not this huge sprawling metropolis that some idolize, Charlotte is maintaining smart growth overall. I just wish that at least some high density developments would be built outside the inner loop. Cramming everything in one little space can't be a good thing.

I know I know, thus the reason for having said "just sayin." And I would use Dubai rather than Tokyo as the "model" for new urban growth which currently has more towers under construction than actually built as well as more towers approved than actually built as well. If all towers app and UC are finished, the city will go from only having 190 'high rises' (by emporis's definition) to over 760. That to me is just amazing. Strange fact: 1 out of every 36 towers currently under construction in the world is in Dubai.

Anyway, attempting to get back on topic, Charlotte has a lot to be proud of. While not this huge sprawling metropolis that some idolize, Charlotte is maintaining smart growth overall. I just wish that at least some high density developments would be built outside the inner loop. Cramming everything in one little space can't be a good thing.

Yes, Charlotte has a lot to be proud of... It's one of the 21st century's rising cities. I'm not at all sure I'd want to see it be like Dubai... I think they are just building for the sake of being pompous. The entire country only has 2.8 million people in it, why on earth they need that many skyscrapers is beyond me... However, in terms of high rise buildings, nobody as of yet comes close to topping New York and Hong Kong. NYC has the largest concentration of office space on earth in one city. Hong Kong has a large number of residential high rises. It is the center of the modern world, so one can see why New York needs all those towers. Hong Kong is limited by water and mountains, they had no choice but to grow up. Nothing wrong with Miami's residential growth though, a highrise is still a highrise. I have a hard time believing that Dubai or Miami or Vegas can keep up such massive construction... Something will have to come along and check it. I only care about Charlotte continuing to grow and prosper, as long as it does so, I will be happy.

I would hope for Greenville to become like Charlotte in the next 100 years if it were to become a bigger city. Charlotte isnt that far from here but i really like the architecture on the skyscrapers. I hope when we start getting some bigger ones that they are unique like Charlottes are. I enjoy going to charlotte more than i do Atlanta because atlanta's sprawl is really crazy. We here around Greenville, SC also have a pretty bad sprawling problem though so i really cant say anything bad about HOtlanta.

Archived