What is Your Favorite Music?

mcheiss

• 1 month later...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite stuff right now is Bluegrass. I like old stuff (Bill Monore, Flatt & Scruggs, Del McCroy); the newer stuff (Mountain Heart, Nicklecreek); and the classics (Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, etc). I can't get over how some things in Bluegrass are so similar to other parts of music, like the way solos and entire songs are structured. The subject matter has such a wide range, too -- it's like the Blues for white mountain folk. :D

I also like to listen to classical & jazz on NPR. And, like somebody earlier, I like older country (60s - 90s). I'm not much on the modern stuff.

I think Blues is great, too. Watching the Blues Brothers as a kid turned me on to other artists like Muddy Waters, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Sam & Dave, Dr. John, Aretha Franklin, and others.

I don't really care much for Rock anymore. I still like a few alt bands, like Blues Traveler and Dave Matthews Band, but for the most part I think I only liked rock because all my friends did. I guess I'm just weird because I like a bunch of stuff most other people ignore.

My favorite stuff right now is Bluegrass. I like old stuff (Bill Monore, Flatt & Scruggs, Del McCroy); the newer stuff (Mountain Heart, Nicklecreek); and the classics (Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, etc). I can't get over how some things in Bluegrass are so similar to other parts of music, like the way solos and entire songs are structured. The subject matter has such a wide range, too -- it's like the Blues for white mountain folk. :D

I also like to listen to classical & jazz on NPR. And, like somebody earlier, I like older country (60s - 90s). I'm not much on the modern stuff.

I think Blues is great, too. Watching the Blues Brothers as a kid turned me on to other artists like Muddy Waters, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Sam & Dave, Dr. John, Aretha Franklin, and others.

I don't really care much for Rock anymore. I still like a few alt bands, like Blues Traveler and Dave Matthews Band, but for the most part I think I only liked rock because all my friends did. I guess I'm just weird because I like a bunch of stuff most other people ignore.

I do love Bill Monroe, but my preferred type of Bluessgrass is the more agressive, up-tempo, trading solos kind. "Burnin' It Down", I've heard some people call it. I think Flatt & Scruggs are good older examples of this, but the new kids are really driving the style now. I think it is sort of because the younger folks (like me) take the influence of great rock solos (like some of those awsome-80s-power-rock-guitar solos) and apply it to acousitc music. Pluse we've been over-stimulated all of our lives, so we need everything to go fast :D

Still, the standard for fast-grass IMO is Foggy Mountain Breakdown. It's inspirational.

I do love Bill Monroe, but my preferred type of Bluessgrass is the more agressive, up-tempo, trading solos kind. "Burnin' It Down", I've heard some people call it. I think Flatt & Scruggs are good older examples of this, but the new kids are really driving the style now. I think it is sort of because the younger folks (like me) take the influence of great rock solos (like some of those awsome-80s-power-rock-guitar solos) and apply it to acousitc music. Pluse we've been over-stimulated all of our lives, so we need everything to go fast :D

Still, the standard for fast-grass IMO is Foggy Mountain Breakdown. It's inspirational.

Archived