Clio

ZachariahDaMan

I stayed with my grandparents in Clio for a little bit so I was able to visit many Genesee County downtowns. My grandparents have lived in Clio their entire life so it was very interesting to take a walk around downtown with them and hear about what all the buildings were used for. As you will see in the pictures, Clio hasn't done too good of a job preserving downtown buildings which doesn't seem to be rare compared to other downtown in Genesee County (except for Flushing). While staying in Clio we dropped by the Clio Historical Museum, housed in an old railroad depot.

"CLIO DEPOT

In 1862 the Flint Pere Marquette Railroad built its original 26.1 mile section track from Saginaw to Mount Morris. It selected Clio, originally known as Varna, as a railroad station location. The area around Varna was covered with white pine. The railroad thrived on the shipment of logs, lumber and wood products. In 1873 Varna changed its name to Clio and this frame depot was built. As the surrounding forests were cleared, rich farm land became available. By 1881 Clio had a population of 550 and boasted a blacksmith shop, a flour mill, a shingle mill, a grain elevator and numerous general stores. Between 1880 and 1915, as many as eight passenger trains stopped at the station each day and hundreds of carloads of freight were shipped each year. The station was used by the railroads until 1960. In 1977 it was purchased by the Clio Area Historical Assocation."

100_1125.jpg

This now vacant building housed the Gem Theatre, built in 1921 and closed sometime in the 50's or 60's. I have seen old pictures, it was a beautiful building in its day.

100_1120.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_1117.jpg

100_1119.jpg

100_1121.jpg

100_1122.jpg

100_1123.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1127.jpg

100_1128.jpg

100_1129.jpg

War memorial

100_1114.jpg

100_1116.jpg

100_1118.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in the next town south of Clio, Mt. Morris. We "hated" each other ( why, I don't know. I even got in my first fight with a kid from Clio in the 7th grade.) I took the scenic route to my grandmothers house in Beecher last time I was down that way. Clio has changed alot, not for the better, since I was little. BTW, that would be back in the late 80's, early 90's. While the area around I-75 has been built up, the rest of town has suffered. Typical, right.

Nice photos.

I wish I had all the gas money you do to take all these trips you've had on a whim. lol

Yeah, when I get my checks from work I throw them right in the bank and the only money I do use is for gas.

I grew up in the next town south of Clio, Mt. Morris. We "hated" each other ( why, I don't know. I even got in my first fight with a kid from Clio in the 7th grade.) I took the scenic route to my grandmothers house in Beecher last time I was down that way. Clio has changed alot, not for the better, since I was little. BTW, that would be back in the late 80's, early 90's. While the area around I-75 has been built up, the rest of town has suffered. Typical, right.

While I was up there I took a little drive through Mt. Morris but didn't find much of a downtown. It was very tiny and didn't have any old buildings.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived