Central Mount Pleasant

mags

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Mt. P could use a downtown much like Goose Creek could. I hope both towns eventually follow through with their plans.

Goose Creek's downtown plan has changed. I don't know if you already heard of it but apparently the company that is building up Daniel Island is building another community in Goose Creek past the Devon Forest/ Walmart area that would include similar Devlopements as that of "downtown" Daniel Island with some upperlevel housing and such.

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. I'd forgotten about that particular development planned for the more rural area of Goose Creek. Isn't that supposed be located on the northwest side of Goose Creek on Hwy. 176 near the new high school that's going up? I really look forward to that, such a development would bring quality shopping areas less than 30 minutes from my home. I also recall reading plans in the Post & Courier sometime back that Berkeley County had plans to expand Hwy. 176 to 4 lanes from Carnes Crossroads to Jedburg. If the tens of thousands of homes that are planned in that area actually materialize than it'll be badly needed.

Goose Creek's downtown plan has changed. I don't know if you already heard of it but apparently the company that is building up Daniel Island is building another community in Goose Creek past the Devon Forest/ Walmart area that would include similar Devlopements as that of "downtown" Daniel Island with some upperlevel housing and such.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on this project from the P&C:

Developers say they hope to build a vibrant downtown destination by blending retail shops, restaurants, offices and residences in a walkable urban setting. It is envisioned as a place town residents will frequent for shopping and to enjoy a walk on its sidewalks, paths and trails.

This afternoon, the developers of 110-acre Central Mount Pleasant will go before the town's Planning Commission seeking approval of a mixed-use residential and commercial project that is expected to generate up to $20.5 million in annual tax revenue.

In the papers filed with the town Planning Department, the developer said the property would be broken into four distinct parts: a 32-acre area envisioned as a high-energy urban center combining business, multifamily residences and a hotel; 51 acres of medium-density single family and townhomes planned in a traditional neighborhood; 18 acres of low-density single-family homes with a large amount of open space; and nine acres for the new school.

I was wondering what happened to this thread after knight put the link for the story in the Greater Chas thread. This is good for the citizens of Mt. P and the rest of the metro area. The reason? Having a central Mt. P will help the town urbanize more rather than continue to spread into Awendaw and may eventually cut traffic levels towards DT, Daniel Island, and the north area. I hope that with this development, residents of the town will see how advantageous it is to live closer to their workplace. This project would reveal the potential for these advantages.

• 4 weeks later...

This was interesting. The project was voted down by the Planning Commission. The developer, Anthony McAlister, expressed frustration with the Planning Commission because he proposed a new version of the project that was included in board members' meeting packets, but the commission didn't discuss it. Instead, commissioners limited their comments to the original version of the project presented in November. Commissioner Steve Brock argued that the commission should have voted on the project in November after a public hearing. He contended that it was the duty of the commission to vote on Central Mount Pleasant as originally presented last month rather than to entertain revisions on Wednesday night. A majority of commissioners agreed with Brock. Their vote doesn't seal the fate of the project because it is a recommendation to the Town Council Planning Committee.

As usual, traffic, height, and density were concerns.

• 4 months later...

Well, this project has finally won the approval of the town council. The development will have 719 residences, 405 of which will be concentrated in a 35-acre mixed-use tract with 350,000 square feet of office and retail space. Also in the plans are a 200-room hotel and a new location for Mamie P. Whitesides Elementary School, south of Rifle Range Road. Turning lane improvements and a stoplight are called for on Rifle Range Road.

• 2 weeks later...

What, you mean the Pitt St business district (with about 150m of road frontage and maybe a dozen businesses) isn't enough?! What more could you ask for? Nothing like a sandwich at the pharmacy and then a haircut at Mr Bob's, followed by walk down to the newly spruced up Old Bridge park.

Being serious now, anything that can give Mt P some type of urban center is good. I don't know whether this is it though.

I've lived in Asia for the past 9 years, but I get home annually at least. If that "town center" shopping center monstrosity is any indication of what developers consider to be urban then we're in trouble.

• 2 months later...

That's good to hear.

I just got back from my annual vacation home (via a weekend in Tokyo...talk about Mayberry to Metropolis!).

Quick impressions:

-Frankly, I didn't see the traffic that people complain about. 17 has always been busy. Coleman and surrounding areas were the same as always, easy. I guess I didn't drive around at 5:30pm or anything though.

-With Red Drum, Art's and Wild Wings Mt Pleasant has some vague semblance of a walkable nightlife area. Not that anyone is walking around much, but still.

-The "Old Village" now seems to have picked up the name "Mt Pleasant Historic District", and the area formerly known as "Old Mt Pleasant" is now called the Old Village. Or something like that. Real estate agents at work I guess.

That's good to hear.

I just got back from my annual vacation home (via a weekend in Tokyo...talk about Mayberry to Metropolis!).

Quick impressions:

-Frankly, I didn't see the traffic that people complain about. 17 has always been busy. Coleman and surrounding areas were the same as always, easy. I guess I didn't drive around at 5:30pm or anything though.

-With Red Drum, Art's and Wild Wings Mt Pleasant has some vague semblance of a walkable nightlife area. Not that anyone is walking around much, but still.

-The "Old Village" now seems to have picked up the name "Mt Pleasant Historic District", and the area formerly known as "Old Mt Pleasant" is now called the Old Village. Or something like that. Real estate agents at work I guess.

I find it odd and worrisome that the image that comes up on the Central Mt. Pleasant website is of asphalt, concrete pavement, cinder block, and caution-yellow traffic barriers! :blink: There's absolutely nothing else in the picture . . what is up with THAT? How bizarre . . these folks need to fire their web designer and get some better photos that show off renderings, inspirations for their building designs, SOMEthing other than that hideous close-up view of the rear end of a generic grocery store located, I'm sure, someplace in the world . . . ???

This project is self-aggrandizing and speculative. It certainly isn't government or grass-roots driven, and so any claims to being Mt. Pleasant's official "downtown" are completely in the heads of the developers.

It looks like a nice development, though. <_<

• 7 months later...
I find it odd and worrisome that the image that comes up on the Central Mt. Pleasant website is of asphalt, concrete pavement, cinder block, and caution-yellow traffic barriers! :blink: There's absolutely nothing else in the picture . . what is up with THAT? How bizarre . . these folks need to fire their web designer and get some better photos that show off renderings, inspirations for their building designs, SOMEthing other than that hideous close-up view of the rear end of a generic grocery store located, I'm sure, someplace in the world . . . ???

This project is self-aggrandizing and speculative. It certainly isn't government or grass-roots driven, and so any claims to being Mt. Pleasant's official "downtown" are completely in the heads of the developers.

It looks like a nice development, though. <_<

Archived