Boston to waterbury

Bill Mocarsky

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take I-84 East to the Mass Pike (I-90 East) That's about as direct as you can get, shouldn't take much longer than 2 1/2 hours.

Reverse this direction, and it will be the best way.

I could see that the Mass pike would be the fastest route to I-84. But, is staying on route 84 the fastest route to Danbury?

I-84 is the fastest way, what other way were you thinking?

The Charter Oak bridge - 691 route. When travelling from Waterbury to Manchester for example, I would often opt for the 691 route. My presumptions that it was slightly faster was backed up by several online mapping programs.

The 691 route is about 2 miles longer but saves about 5 minutes, based on my queries. It must be all the curves (from Hartford to Plainville) with the 45-50 mph zones that slow down the conventional route.

The Charter Oak bridge - 691 route. When travelling from Waterbury to Manchester for example, I would often opt for the 691 route. My presumptions that it was slightly faster was backed up by several online mapping programs.

The 691 route is about 2 miles longer but saves about 5 minutes, based on my queries. It must be all the curves (from Hartford to Plainville) with the 45-50 mph zones that slow down the conventional route.

I stay away from I-84 through Hartford like the plague, so you may be right. That's the way I'd go, but I never would need to use that route.

the online mapping things never have it exactly correct... they use the speed limit to determine the best route.

i'd suggest staying on 84 for ease (after all, it's only 5 minutes in a 2.5 hour ride, which you can cut by driving faster through hartford if possible). you might want to avoid hartford if it's during rush hour, but i'd say take 84 the whole way... after all, hartford traffic is nothing like boston traffic.

the online mapping things never have it exactly correct... they use the speed limit to determine the best route.

i'd suggest staying on 84 for ease (after all, it's only 5 minutes in a 2.5 hour ride, which you can cut by driving faster through hartford if possible). you might want to avoid hartford if it's during rush hour, but i'd say take 84 the whole way... after all, hartford traffic is nothing like boston traffic.

It is actually 5 minutes in a roughly half hour ride (East Hartford to Cheshire).

Traffic aside, the relatively sharp turns through Hartford and West Hartford make it difficult to go too fast. There are also several complications such as lane inconsistancies.

It is actually 5 minutes in a roughly half hour ride (East Hartford to Cheshire).

Traffic aside, the relatively sharp turns through Hartford and West Hartford make it difficult to go too fast. There are also several complications such as lane inconsistancies.

You guys are some very precise navigators. I don't put nearly this much thought into traveling by car. Maybe I should next time I take a trip though. :lol:

go 84... it's just easier and you don't have to think. :D

You guys are some very precise navigators. I don't put nearly this much thought into traveling by car. Maybe I should next time I take a trip though. :lol:

go 84... it's just easier and you don't have to think. :D

I was thinking the same thing.

The point I am alluding to is that there is an alternate route for through I-84 traffic that avoids the inner city of Hartford (but still gives a great panorama of the skyline). If this alternate route was designated as I-84, then it may open doors to rethink the segment of highway through downtown.

The point I am alluding to is that there is an alternate route for through I-84 traffic that avoids the inner city of Hartford (but still gives a great panorama of the skyline). If this alternate route was designated as I-84, then it may open doors to rethink the segment of highway through downtown.

OK, now I get it. I kind of thought you were up to something. I think if we could do something with 84 Downtown it would be great. I also agree that it's nice to be able to see Hartford from the interstate so that's a big part of designating an alternate route as the new 84.

OK, now I get it. I kind of thought you were up to something. I think if we could do something with 84 Downtown it would be great. I also agree that it's nice to be able to see Hartford from the interstate so that's a big part of designating an alternate route as the new 84.

Really this much discussion for such easy directions?!?!

84 is by far the easiest. You dont save much taking 684 to 91, especially during rush hour when both are 84 and 91 are congested.

The map websites all differ.

Use map24.com, you can set the speeds you go and other weird options.

Really this much discussion for such easy directions?!?!

84 is by far the easiest. You dont save much taking 684 to 91, especially during rush hour when both are 84 and 91 are congested.

The map websites all differ.

Use map24.com, you can set the speeds you go and other weird options.

Blink, did I mislead you?

??

What do you mean

I didn't get to the point at the very beginning of the post.

The point that I was trying to make is that there is an alternate way for I-84 through traffic that approaches (if not exceeds at times) the efficiency of the conventional route. I have seen several other metropolitan areas where there are alternate routes, except usually the route going through the city is a 3 digit.

Archived