Which is the "best" South american country to live in?

Weltenbummler

Who knowes south america?

I might want to immigrate to South America for good.

Is not decided yet, but I'am "shopping around" though!

so, what is the "best" country which the lowest cost of living, basicly where I can get the most for my money, because I do have monthly $ 800 and that money is certain and secure.

I have heard, that in Bolivia and Paraguay the Dollar is 2 or 3 Dollars worth.

How is the crimerate and is it easy to immigrate there, and if so, can I just go there, or how does it work?

I'am German citizen with a German Passport, I do speak englisch and German, but no

spanish, but willing to learn spanish or Portugese what ever they speak there! :thumbsup:

who knowes about those countries and can tell me something, and may give some advise.

Thanks

Weltenbummler

P.S.: I had also considered Costa Rica and Belize, but prices are pulling on there, and Venezuela is to unsecure because of the high crimerate there.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally like Chile. A beautiful country.

Who knowes south america?

I might want to immigrate to South America for good.

Is not decided yet, but I'am "shopping around" though!

so, what is the "best" country which the lowest cost of living, basicly where I can get the most for my money, because I do have monthly $ 800 and that money is certain and secure.

I have heard, that in Bolivia and Paraguay the Dollar is 2 or 3 Dollars worth.

How is the crimerate and is it easy to immigrate there, and if so, can I just go there, or how does it work?

I'am German citizen with a German Passport, I do speak englisch and German, but no

spanish, but willing to learn spanish or Portugese what ever they speak there! :thumbsup:

who knowes about those countries and can tell me something, and may give some advise.

Thanks

Weltenbummler

P.S.: I had also considered Costa Rica and Belize, but prices are pulling on there, and Venezuela is to unsecure because of the high crimerate there.

You said you wanted to find a coutry with a low cost of living, so here you go-just facts, not my opinion. You also might want to look at other factors, such as the country's educational or health care system. A good source would be the United Nation's Human Development Index HDI

Source: Mercer Human Resource Consulting

Mercer

Wow! That's a lot of info. But it doesn't really tell you if a foreigner can own land in those countries. That's a very important thing to look into when trying to make the move to another country. As far as Latin America goes, Costa Rica is a good place but can be expensive. It depends on if you need to live near other non Costa Ricans. There are some amazing communities that are more local and less expensive in CR. Brazil may be another country that allows for foreign ownership but if you leave for too long and someone moves in, then it's their home after six months or so. (I can

• 1 month later...

Yep...but chile is very expensive when it comes to cost of living.

even Brazil is expensive too.

argentinia... that would interest me too... if somebody has some informations though!

I have plenty of information in my blog about moving to and living in Buenos Aires. I'm originally from States and have been spending an extended period here in BA. Check out my blog and if you have any q's drop me a line.

I have the full link to the mercer data in my blog, it makes a lot more sense when you see it in the full context.

Anyone can legally own property in Argentina. Squatters are a problem here as well, but if you buy an apartment you are much more protected. The laws in Argentina favor the tenants, and if you need to get rid of someone it can take up to 2 years to evict them. That said, it's not usually an issue. problems here are air and noise pollution deep in the city, but at the edges there are some great places to invest in. Current exchange rate is approx 3.10 pesos to the dollar, but you can never be sure in any country that a favorable exchange rate might not become unfavorable at some time. Right now it's a pretty good deal here if you plan to buy. Renting is another story as to access the best local prices you will usually need a guarantor for your rental (someone who holds property here and is willing to put that property up in the event you don't pay!) Also, a good chunk of rentals have been put into the foreign/tourist market at much higher prices than local prices.

Wow! That's a lot of info. But it doesn't really tell you if a foreigner can own land in those countries. That's a very important thing to look into when trying to make the move to another country. As far as Latin America goes, Costa Rica is a good place but can be expensive. It depends on if you need to live near other non Costa Ricans. There are some amazing communities that are more local and less expensive in CR. Brazil may be another country that allows for foreign ownership but if you leave for too long and someone moves in, then it's their home after six months or so. (I can

• 1 month later...

Archived