IN-PROGRESS: Plaza Condominium

I too am all for using as much downtown space as possible, but $1 million is ridiculous. Can't someone just build an apartment building (and not in the style of the Regency) downtown instead of $200+ K condos? I'm down for the condos, but all vibrant cities have downtown housing that can accomodate young professionals and the like who just want to rent a place for awhile. Seriously - there is not one "normal" apartment complex in that whole downtown/downcity/jewelry district area except for those seemingly delapidated places above Downtown Liquors and Blakes. If there were apartments downtown, I'd live there. In the words of a mysterious voice in an Iowa cornfield, "build it and they will come."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...but all vibrant cities have downtown housing that can accomodate young professionals and the like who just want to rent a place for awhile.

What about all of the Cornish space? That's all rental.

http://www.westminsterstreetlofts.com/

There's also the Avalon Cove apartment building across from the train station. Most of the Foundry residential space is rental. Capitol Cove may or may not be apartments.

Granted, save Avalon, these are generally loft spaces, not "normal" NYC/Boston style apartments.

- Garris

There's also the Avalon Cove apartment building across from the train station. Most of the Foundry residential space is rental. Capitol Cove may or may not be apartments.

To my mind, Moshassuck Square Apartments remain the best deal in Providence. Yeah it's not right downtown and the places are slightly out of date. But you are a ten minute walk to the train station or KP and the rents are about $200 cheaper than the Cornish places and you get a parking place.

As for downtown rentals, don't forget Regency and in the future the Greene St. townhomes which may end up being apartments IIRC.

I think this is a common complaint for downtown rentals that are cheaper than renting an apartment in a two family which is unreasonable. Even the suburban complexes are generally more expensive than these types of places and in fact cost more rental wise than the downtown places.

Granted, save Avalon, these are generally loft spaces, not "normal" NYC/Boston style apartments.

- Garris

While an inartful way of me to say so, this is what I meant. When I moved back here from Philadelphia in June, the Cornish properties were the first place I looked. Unfortunately, even the smaller loft spaces were all too expensive and they didn't offer much if you wanted to get the equivalent of a 2 or 3 bedroom to share with your friends (which, as far as I know, is still what most people my age - 25 - do). Don't get me wrong, I think the Cornish properties are awesome, just not what I was talking about. As it was - after failing to find a place with adequate parking in Federal Hill, I moved to Fox Point (which is fine, but I wanted to live downtown).

Creating a diversity of housing types and prices downtown is very important, albeit difficult. Long-time landlords and landowners have an inflated sense of value for their buildings. They believe the "development potential" allows them to ask astronomical prices for their properties. This on top of the already high cost of renovation and new construction. Add complex building and life safety code into the equation, and it is near impossible to create even reasonably affordable units downtown.

To my mind, Moshassuck Square Apartments remain the best deal in Providence.

I looked at those when I first moved to Providence, they are characterless boxes, which I could have got over, but they are also quite small. And that's small from my NYC/Boston apartment point of view. They are good apartments for a single person, but too cramped for a couple. Some of them do have nice outdoor spaces in the back overlooking the Moshassuck, which in part makes up for the cramped quarters, and adds a bit of character.

Now, when looking for a place to buy, I totally want a characterless box. Give me the bare minimum instead of charging me an arm and a leg for granite, and stainless steel, and other 'luxurious additions.' I want to buy as cheaply as possible, then when I have the money, I'll decide what luxurious additions I want. There must be some way for someone to make money off of minimalist construction.

• 1 year later...

I was given the link by an agent through a listing I found on craigslist.com. But, today I noticed, while walking through Kennedy Plaza, that there are big signs in the windows as well.

Great find! I thought this was dead long ago. The website and photography appear a bit amateur hour, but amazing that this seems to have reached some conclusion.

- Garris

I guess it's not surprising that they are rentals now instead of condos. They seem to be marketing it for as many people as they can - as offices, apartments, live/work spaces... definitely a great location, and they seem to be finished very nicely. They're expensive, I hope they generate interest though, it would be good for downtown.

Archived