Some ideas for the North Meadows

paul514

The area around the meadows seems to be very poorly utilized, especially since it is waterfront property. I've thought some condos would go nicely there especially if a light rail link to downtown were to be built. Here are some pictures of what I think the riverfront in that area should looklike. Forgive me if the photos do not come up well, this is my first attempt to post photographs on this site.

220117344_6deef1e74f_o.jpg

Perhaps a monorail link like this one to downtown would be nice too.

220129480_fcc0796db7_o.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The area around the meadows seems to be very poorly utilized, especially since it is waterfront property. I've thought some condos would go nicely there especially if a light rail link to downtown were to be built. Here are some pictures of what I think the riverfront in that area should looklike. Forgive me if the photos do not come up well, this is my first attempt to post photographs on this site.

220117344_6deef1e74f_o.jpg

Perhaps a monorail link like this one to downtown would be nice too.

220129480_fcc0796db7_o.jpg

I love how this guy thinks!!!!!!!!

It's not Miami, it's my former home Vancouver in Canada. The first pic is the riverfront with a bunch of buildings that were completed in 2005. Some of the land was actually reclaimed from the river. Before there were condos there were just abandoned factories and warehouses. I like to think that the meadows would be perfect for these type of condos since there is nothing quite like it here. I lived in a similar building 2 blocks north and wish there were something like that in Hartford. I think if we had a large development in Hartford like this one that there would be many people who would abandon the suburbs in a heartbeat (myself included). If a peripheral Canadian city with few home offices can revitalise itself I'm sure Hartford can do even better.

Here's a link of just how ugly it was before.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/commsvcs/f...depanorama2.htm

It's not Miami, it's my former home Vancouver in Canada. The first pic is the riverfront with a bunch of buildings that were completed in 2005. Some of the land was actually reclaimed from the river. Before there were condos there were just abandoned factories and warehouses. I like to think that the meadows would be perfect for these type of condos since there is nothing quite like it here. I lived in a similar building 2 blocks north and wish there were something like that in Hartford. I think if we had a large development in Hartford like this one that there would be many people who would abandon the suburbs in a heartbeat (myself included). If a peripheral Canadian city with few home offices can revitalise itself I'm sure Hartford can do even better.

Here's a link of just how ugly it was before.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/commsvcs/f...depanorama2.htm

Those before and after photos are amazing. I totally agree that Hartford could do the same thing. There is no good reason why not, other than the lack of vision around here. We have to think big and not be afraid to be bold. We need more of a wow factor.

Those before and after photos are amazing. I totally agree that Hartford could do the same thing. There is no good reason why not, other than the lack of vision around here. We have to think big and not be afraid to be bold. We need more of a wow factor.

Living in Vancouver I always thought wow this city has done so much with relatively little compared to Hartford. When it comes to finance and business Vancouver is overshadowed by Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and even Edmonton. We also have a great location being near New York and Boston. I think the major difference is that we lack people with vision. Also this is a much wealthier region with CT's per capita income at $47,000 and British Columbia's at $34,000 U.S. Hartford 21 is a start and I'm glad it was built but honestly I prefer the architecture in the buildings above by leaps and bounds. Hartford 21 is too boxy.

Here's another set of buildings on north side of the city. This area is called Coal Harbour and it was until recently the sie of an abandoned coaling station.

220117346_531df19b71_o.jpg

I must admit that I have a very hard time understanding what I consider to be a sort of urban phobia in CT. Maybe I'm crazy, but people here a scared of large scale change, even when it could be so beneficial.

There are plenty of people around here who would be horrified by the idea of putting that many large residential buildings in and around Hartford. I think in the long run it would help out everything.

I would LOVE to see things like this in Hartford. Vancouver is restricted by physical barriers whereas people sprawl out to Ashford and Canton (and even when a physical boundary exists, like Avon Mountain, we spend millions on roads to help the sprawl, and now after that accident they want an EVEN BETTER road...pathetic).

Also, let's admit it, Canadians are much more advanced on urban issues than we are. Connecticut is getting further and further behind the times and becoming a worse and worse place to live.

So, what I'm saying is while I'd love to see development like this, I just don't expect it. The state would rather subsidize a suburban hunting store...

I would LOVE to see things like this in Hartford. Vancouver is restricted by physical barriers whereas people sprawl out to Ashford and Canton (and even when a physical boundary exists, like Avon Mountain, we spend millions on roads to help the sprawl, and now after that accident they want an EVEN BETTER road...pathetic).

Also, let's admit it, Canadians are much more advanced on urban issues than we are. Connecticut is getting further and further behind the times and becoming a worse and worse place to live.

So, what I'm saying is while I'd love to see development like this, I just don't expect it. The state would rather subsidize a suburban hunting store...

I find that attitudes have a lot to do with it too. In Vancouver I found there was a general sense of pride in the city (even from people in the suburbs). People actually cared about municipal government and seemed to be involved. In the Hartford area I find there is a general apathy towards anything having to do with the city, especially by suburbanites. Last week I was speaking to a coworker about how I was going to eat at Morton's Steakhouse and he asked where it was and when I replied in downtown he said he wouldn't be caught dead in downtown Hartford and had spent his life avoiding Hartford. I thought how ridiculous, but I know that many others feel the same way he does.

Also there is a complete lack of cooperationg between municipalities I find. In Vancouver there is the Greater Vancouver Regional District, a comittee of the 21 municipalities in Greater Vancouver whose goal is to build a sustainable region. In Toronto there is the GTA, in Hartford it seems that each town is out for itself and there is a rivalry between suburbs.

I find that attitudes have a lot to do with it too. In Vancouver I found there was a general sense of pride in the city (even from people in the suburbs). People actually cared about municipal government and seemed to be involved. In the Hartford area I find there is a general apathy towards anything having to do with the city, especially by suburbanites. Last week I was speaking to a coworker about how I was going to eat at Morton's Steakhouse and he asked where it was and when I replied in downtown he said he wouldn't be caught dead in downtown Hartford and had spent his life avoiding Hartford. I thought how ridiculous, but I know that many others feel the same way he does.

Also there is a complete lack of cooperationg between municipalities I find. In Vancouver there is the Greater Vancouver Regional District, a comittee of the 21 municipalities in Greater Vancouver whose goal is to build a sustainable region. In Toronto there is the GTA, in Hartford it seems that each town is out for itself and there is a rivalry between suburbs.

Sad, but true.

What's funny is that people, especially kids, constantly complain about Connecticut and how boring it is. You'd think these people might consider urbanization as a way to change that. Instead, the trend is still moving further and further into the suburbs. I hope Destefano wins as governor and we get some change.

Sad, but true.

What's funny is that people, especially kids, constantly complain about Connecticut and how boring it is. You'd think these people might consider urbanization as a way to change that. Instead, the trend is still moving further and further into the suburbs. I hope Destefano wins as governor and we get some change.

Oh, you'd get change, but not the type illustrated above. Anyways, this ties in nicely with my thread involving Windsor Street. The North Meadows , Weston Street, Windsor Street, all could be changed to look like the above. Instead, we have a bunch of crappy car lots, and half-used commecial/industrial buildings, and a few overgrown lots....

4 minutes to downtown hartford is hardly suburban, and I actually think the development may end up looking like something in the picture (plus a hunting store...), they are planning for a large amount of high density housing around a man made lake... "Over 1,000 units of high-tech living space will be featured in mid-rise and high-rise buildings - creating a true live-work community."

Not saying I wouldn't love to see that development in the North Meadows... Or Brainard...

Oh, you'd get change, but not the type illustrated above. Anyways, this ties in nicely with my thread involving Windsor Street. The North Meadows , Weston Street, Windsor Street, all could be changed to look like the above. Instead, we have a bunch of crappy car lots, and half-used commecial/industrial buildings, and a few overgrown lots....

I agree that those streets could transform from industrial to upscale urban. We just need to show that we have a sizable enough demand for upscale urban and it's just a matter of time. Also, there should not be too many NIMBYs in these areas, so it should be full steam ahead if something does get proposed. We can be thankful for that.

Well, here's the thing, you'll get NIMBY's but not the type that you'd think. You'd get all the Car Lot owner NIMBY's that don't want to give up their little gravy train for the betterment of the city...

True, where would you prefer/propose they move too? Those are invaluable Hartford businesses IMO and they would embrace new residents, as long as they weren't being forced out. I think there is plenty of undeveloped/underdeveloped land in the North Meodows that much of the business district could remain intact, which would be my preference honestly.

How about the South Meadows? How about some of the spots along Main St? How about further up in the North Meadows? It's more important that the residential that is a tower be closer to downtown than the car dealerships be close to downtown....

How about the South Meadows? How about some of the spots along Main St? How about further up in the North Meadows? It's more important that the residential that is a tower be closer to downtown than the car dealerships be close to downtown....

The car dealerships are pretty far as it is. I think there is a lot of room on the side of the street where the Meadows is. Also, don't you think these new richy riches would like to have the Benz dealership stay put?!?! :lol: There is a lot of space further back on Weston going toward's Whitie's that I think if done properly could support housing, it would take a lot of landscaping, but I think it could be done. I do think relocating some of the dealerships could work, but I wouldn't want all of them to go. There's a lot of land over there. However, with our city's zoning ordinances, residential in the North Meadows could shut down the Gold Club couldn't it. I would hate to loose the ONLY strip club in Hartford...... What kind of major city only has one anyway????? I agree with Vlad here, 100%!!!

The area around the meadows seems to be very poorly utilized, especially since it is waterfront property. I've thought some condos would go nicely there especially if a light rail link to downtown were to be built.

Are you talking east of 91, north of Riverside Park?

Would you create a street grid?

A boulevard along the river?

How would you connect the neighborhood to downtown?

Would a street connect to East Hartford?

Are you talking east of 91, north of Riverside Park?

Would you create a street grid?

A boulevard along the river?

How would you connect the neighborhood to downtown?

Would a street connect to East Hartford?

Not sure if there is room for a street grid there. Wouldn't a Boulevard really do the same thing as I-91 does downtown(cut off the buildings from the river)? As far as connecting downtown, it could connect a few ways. First, Reverend Moody Overpass, build up that whole area from Windsor street to the river. That whole lot where Cirque Du Soliel plays, all around the Meadows, Weston St, West Service Road area. Second, Windsor Street, that would be the main Boulevard. It isn't a straight shot from the river, but it is from things built in the already developed area. I supposed a bridge to East Hartford could be built along where the railroad bridge is. Looking at my map here, I'm not sure where it would connect to, maybe along the tracks to Prospect St and Main? Looking at this map, I could legitimately see the North Meadows bust out as a real destination and great place to live. You could literally fill in basically everything from the corner of Windsor/Trumbull, the western border being Windsor St, the Eastern border being the River, the South border being Trumbull St (to the highway) and the north border being as far north as Windsor and beyond....

Archived