Movies, At the Theater And At Home

Mith242

Thought I might as well try to start one on movies as well. I know we've gotten at least a little discussion on movies on the NWA coffeeshop topic. Anyone seen any good movies recently? There's one I was wanting to mention because of some of the subject matter. It's been out on dvd for a while now although recently a new director's cut just came out. The movie I'm referring to is The Kingdom Of Heaven . I thought it was an interesting concept although I wasn't crazy about the pacing of the film. From the sound of it I wasn't the only one. But the director's cut is supposed to be much better so I think I'm going to check it out soon. But one of the things I wanted to mention about it is the comments I've seen other people have on it. I've seen people complaining about them 'rewriting' history and making the Christians the 'bad guys'. I found the comments very amusing because they obviously didn't know history very well. But I began to wonder how many people really do know some of the earlier history of the Christian and Muslim parts of the world. Perhaps people are letting current events into their perception of history. Anyway I was curious if many people had seen the film and wondered what some of you thought about it. Feel free to just talk about the movie if you don't want to get into a discussion about religious aspects of that time period.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen people complaining about them 'rewriting' history and making the Christians the 'bad guys'. I found the comments very amusing because they obviously didn't know history very well.

I've seen it. I liked it. I mean, it's not one of my favorite films, but I liked it.

Yeah, it is pretty funny when certain people get indignant at not seeing their side portrayed as the good guys. The truth hurts.

I remember when my dad called the local movie theatre to ask a question about Syriana...the guy told my dad that the movie was anti-American and unpatriotic.

I saw "Paradise Now" last night with my sister. I rented it from the local video place. It's about Palestinians, the Israeli occupation, and freedom. It mostly gets into the minds and psyches of suicide bombers. Pretty interesting viewpoints that you don't often get in these parts.

Before that, I rented War of the Worlds, for like the 3rd time (saw it twice in the movie theatre). I really love that movie. It's not realistic at all but it's pretty exciting.

Since I'm not feeling very highbrow right now, if you go to www.snakesonaplane.com you can get Samuel L Jackson to call one of your friend and give a semi-personalized message. It's pretty clever and if they don't know about it it has the potential to be funny. Try using someone's number the person you're calling can't stand - that's even better.

Since I'm not feeling very highbrow right now, if you go to www.snakesonaplane.com you can get Samuel L Jackson to call one of your friend and give a semi-personalized message. It's pretty clever and if they don't know about it it has the potential to be funny. Try using someone's number the person you're calling can't stand - that's even better.

Snakes on a plane. Woot.

I'm not sure if it will be funny or stupid yet.

It sounded like it would be funny when I first heard about it....but after listening to the sound clips..it sounds like the director made the movie too serious.

Snakes on a plane. Woot.

I'm not sure if it will be funny or stupid yet.

It sounded like it would be funny when I first heard about it....but after listening to the sound clips..it sounds like the director made the movie too serious.

It probably will have a few moments because of Samuel L Jackson but I'm not expecting much. The marketing, though, is brilliant.

I still don't know if I have any interest for that movie but there's so much hype for that movie. I guess it's a somewhat unique movie because actually let internet and blogger interaction affect it. The supposedly went back and refilmed some scenes and used suggestions from people on the internet. I guess I can see some people being hyped up about it because they felt they had their 'hand' in the movie. I do like Samuel Jackson but I still just don't think that movie looks like anything I'd like.

Thought I might as well try to start one on movies as well. I know we've gotten at least a little discussion on movies on the NWA coffeeshop topic. Anyone seen any good movies recently? There's one I was wanting to mention because of some of the subject matter. It's been out on dvd for a while now although recently a new director's cut just came out. The movie I'm referring to is The Kingdom Of Heaven . I thought it was an interesting concept although I wasn't crazy about the pacing of the film. From the sound of it I wasn't the only one. But the director's cut is supposed to be much better so I think I'm going to check it out soon. But one of the things I wanted to mention about it is the comments I've seen other people have on it. I've seen people complaining about them 'rewriting' history and making the Christians the 'bad guys'. I found the comments very amusing because they obviously didn't know history very well. But I began to wonder how many people really do know some of the earlier history of the Christian and Muslim parts of the world. Perhaps people are letting current events into their perception of history. Anyway I was curious if many people had seen the film and wondered what some of you thought about it. Feel free to just talk about the movie if you don't want to get into a discussion about religious aspects of that time period.

There was some "historical truth" to The Kingdom of Heaven, but at the same time there was some "hollywood truth" added. I enjoyed the film as I do all "historical" movies. The only unfortunate aspect of the movie is that it really confused a lot of people who already had misconceptions of the Crusades. The fact is that the Crusades started during a dark and war-torn time of European history and was not the work of a united alliance of Chrisitan countries that hated Muslims. The Papalcy got tired of watching Christians killing each other in Europe so the Pope (Urban II) saw an opportunity to direct all the hostilities within European countries to something more worthwhile... like capturing Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Just like the movie Gladiator spurred me to read as much as I could about the Roman Empire, The Kingdom of Heaven spurred me to read as much as I could about the Crusades. To sum it up there were some truly heroic and inspiring Christian knights who participated in the Crusades and there were some Crusaders who made Hitler look like a choir boy. Gee, kinda reminds me of the stories I've read about the Roman Emperors... some good, most not-so-good.

Enjoy the movie or hate the movie for what it is... entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Funny moments. But...pretty bad. I'm sure that's part of what makes if funny to some...

So much for all th hype too. It was the top movie for only one week and didn't bring in anywhere close to the amount of money some people thought. I never had any interest in this movie. But I did think the concept of them using the internet was interesting. Although now I wonder if anyone else will be eager to try that out again after these results.

Archived