Why is Portland growing so fast?

skycity

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but doesn't portland have a lot of great smaller colleges like Reed and Portland State?

As pdxheel said, Oregon is becoming quite popular with retirees for the great weather, vibrant city and excellent outdoor opportunities... well, that would be popular with anyone, me included, but that's many a reason why specifically its been popular with retireees.

but doesn't portland have a lot of great smaller colleges like Reed and Portland State?

As pdxheel said, Oregon is becoming quite popular with retirees for the great weather, vibrant city and excellent outdoor opportunities... well, that would be popular with anyone, me included, but that's many a reason why specifically its been popular with retireees.

Reed is an outstanding university, just not very large and therefore won't attract that many people. PSU is just OK...my opinion. You are correct in that Portland should attract all demographics, but with its cost of living so high retirees and wealthy no kid families find it more attractive than families with kids. That being said...I would move back to Portland on the drop of a dime. It may be hard to buy a house, but you gain in other ways such as great pub. transportation, cultural activities and the beauty of the city.

http://www.portlandonline.com/

that's the city's site, but its a great starting point, good luck in your endeavors, i'm sure you'll enjoy the city, you will certainly have to keep us updated.

also -- pdxheel, i know my city isn't home to any major universities, but there are 5-6 satellite schools located downtown. does OSU or Oregon have campuses in Portland at all?

Portland's growth is all about lifestyle and cost. The quality of life is very high and the cost of living is fairly low.

There is no UO or OSU campus in Portland. There is Portland State, U of Portland, Reed, OHSU, Lewis and Clark, the PCC system has several campuses and there is Marylhurst to the south but I don't know if that's in PDX or not. I'm sure there are a couple more little schools in town. PSU is the dominant school in PDX...unless the criteria is women's soccer in which case UP dominates pretty much the entire country.

Not to get off subject or sway away from this website but where is a really good quality website about Portland? I currently live in Oklahoma attending OSU & will go the the "OK" PSU grad school for urban planning. just curious.

jdsplaypin...just so you know PSU's urban affairs program has a good reputation. When I referred to PSU as just OK I was referring of the university in general, not individual programs.

Portland doesn't have many Fortune 500 HQ's (not that that's the end all) and it lacks a major university.

That isn't true. Portland State is the largest university in Oregon and OHSU is the state's medical and advance research institution.

One reason Clark County across the river in Washington is booming is taxes. No income tax in Washington, no sales tax in Oregon. The people in Clark County that work in Washington save big time $.

Archived