Scrapping at the David Whitney

Allan

Tonight I saw scrappers walking out of the David Whitney Building. Upon walking by, you could hear them banging around in the lobby. Multiple people called the police, reporting "theft in progress." Whether or not they actually came out or not, I do not know.

All I do know is that people are living in the building now, and scrappers are at work 24/7, due to the owner's inability to secure the building over the past several months. I'd hate to see the building go the way of some of the others, but it's getting worse by the day. I hope we don't have another Lee Plaza on our hands here....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I can almost guarantee that all the metal is gone from the lobby by now. I called the owner and told him to seal his building. They were like "we're working on it." Riiiight...they've been working on it...the place still has more holes than a block of swiss cheese.

No, not right now. The only thing you can do is call up the owner and tell him to get his building sealed. For all who care:

Becker Ventures - 5755 New King Dr, Troy, 48098 - (248) 588-0800

Michael McInerny is the contact person.

I called them at work yesterday. They told me that they locked the doors earlier in the morning. We'll see how long they stay locked, seeing as how people are living there. The Whitney is a regular hobo hotel these days.

I noticed quite a few matresses there. Some floors looked very lived in. I was able to identify quite a few areas on the exterior that gave easy access. Wherever there was OSB covering the window, it could easily be ripped right out of the frame with hardly any effort. Up here in Saginaw we seal our buildings with concrete block. Except, we don't stop at the doors like Detroit does... We do the windows also.

Archived