Greenville in 2031

goodbye

In 25 years, Greenville will turn 200 years old. After hearing the idea of a commemorative bell for Greenville's 175th Birthday, I thought that it would be nice to see what concepts everyone could come up with for the larger celebration in 25 years. If we begin planning right now, something grand will undoubtedly be accomplished by then. :shades:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this will be soon after we host the Olympics... So, they'll use our Olympic facilities and throw a big party in each of our 7 downtown entertainment districts. One party per night for a week in each districts.

By then, it will be

-West End Historic District

-City Center District

-North End District

-East Washington District

-South Church Street District

-West Washington District

-Augusta Street District

Yea, it will be pretty awesome using our fantastic light rail system too. See you guys then. I smell a UP meetup! :whistling:

Well, this will be soon after we host the Olympics... So, they'll use our Olympic facilities and throw a big party in each of our 7 downtown entertainment districts. One party per night for a week in each districts.

By then, it will be

-West End Historic District

-City Center District

-North End District

-East Washington District

-South Church Street District

-West Washington District

-Augusta Street District

Yea, it will be pretty awesome using our fantastic light rail system too. See you guys then. I smell a UP meetup! :whistling:

Greenville would never get the Olympics, especially not in our lifetime unfortunately. :whistling:

Greenville would never get the Olympics, especially not in our lifetime unfortunately. :whistling:

If its got the "drive"... :rofl:

Nah, jk with the post.

But I would like to see a cool monument maybe at Heritage Green that would commemorate the event and tell of the city's history (near the history museum)... :thumbsup: Spartanburg, being the same age, could have a twin monument to represent the cities' relationship. Also, a LEED certified "bicentenial" tower would be cool gracing the skyline-- maybe for a new city hall or an annex of the old one?

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I sorta prefer the idea that Greenville's bicentennial happened in 1986 when the county was set aside. Nothing wrong with the city or its 175 celebration but the establishment of the post Revolutionary War government in this area is really the milestone for me, not the formal establishment of the Greenville's city government.

• 3 weeks later...

In 25 years, Greenville will turn 200 years old. After hearing the idea of a commemorative bell for Greenville's 175th Birthday, I thought that it would be nice to see what concepts everyone could come up with for the larger celebration in 25 years. If we begin planning right now, something grand will undoubtedly be accomplished by then. :shades:

Total total total fantasy; definitely not the real Greenville, a city I have never visited; though, I am native of South Carolina...Attached black & white scan images is my version of Greenville 2025AD...that I've been working on for WEEKS NOW as sketched with pen/pencil on acid free/neutral pH paper 11 x 14...then painted w/watercolor & acrylic...

ID of buildings & make-believe buildings done in PPT...

This is a Total TALL fantasy; definitely not the real beautiful city of Greenville I've observed at this site, a city I have never seen; though I was born in SC 4 decades ago, I do look foward to visiting beautiful Greenville for the lst time in April 2006 with my best "artist" friend from Germany...

Note: The attached images were scanned black & white...and represent my "fantasy" version of SC leading city of Greenville in 2025 AD...The work is yet in progress & is not complete...

post-800-1157659100_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659116_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659129_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659141_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659154_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659100_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659116_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659129_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659141_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157659154_thumb.jpg

Hahaha, Zach, you've got some imagination there! I love how you think, though! It is perhaps a TALL fantasy, but it's maybe something to work toward over time...as long as it's responsible controlled development. :thumbsup:

fantasies sometimes become realities...You could say, I have a mad-crush on City of Greenville; thought, I could never love another South Carolina save Charleston...but that was then; this is now...

...my best ex-roomate (Cory M., actor/playwright) was born in Indiana, and lived in City of Greenville, where he was a bartendar & dance teacher in the early 2000s before moving to San Francisco...Last heard from CM....he'd become some kind of circus performer; his dreams are as crazy as my own...

Hahaha, Zach, you've got some imagination there! I love how you think, though! It is perhaps a TALL fantasy, but it's maybe something to work toward over time...as long as it's responsible controlled development. :thumbsup:

...I couldn't imagine Greenville having irresponsible controlled growth/development..."responsible controlled development" fits Greenville perfectly IMO...CM's only complaint about Greenville was...its being in the Bible Belt & somewhat conversative compared to perhaps too liberal & strong-democratic party dominated San Francisco...

RestedTraveler,

...after taking lynde hop swing dancing lessons in the cold and fog in Union Square in downtown SF last evening, i felt very warm, came home and worked more on G-Ville2025AD......Unfortunately, future "G-villians of this make-believe-world"...have razed much of Greenville's trees to create "French Quarter...home of Greenville's Palace of Fine Arts & The Chauteau Hotel"...and in just below Main...there is "Latin Quarters" and the "Theatre/Entertainment distict..." 4 more hours and I am free of WORK!!!

Cut off title....Upstate Tower in Slide one should read "Port Charleston Upstate Tower..."

P.S. Nice closeup of the Landmark building in "Photo of the Day". It has those little-windows like the now gone & very missed "World Trade Centers" in NY, which I saw only from a distance last time I was back East...I never got a chance to enter the Twins that the world will never forget...I took it for granted the Twins would always be there, that I could do it later since I expected them to never be destroyed so senselessly...

As a kid, I remember when it (Landmark Building) was called "Daniel Building" and was impressed with the lst photo I saw of it because there was nothing else in South Carolina like it at the time...

post-800-1157745547_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745565_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745581_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745620_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745547_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745565_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745581_thumb.jpg

post-800-1157745620_thumb.jpg

Archived