Any info on the EAST WEST CONNECTOR on the Northside?

fernelias

I have this link http://www.jtaonthemove.com/projects/bjp/bjeastwest.aspx

and I have called them up on this but they cannot give me a straight answer as the site claims their are budget issues and other issues.

"SIGNIFICANT ISSUES:

Additional funding required for construction of the project. Use of Duval County School Board pond as a regional treatment pond to avoid smaller ponds at Starratt Road. "

They said they are good to go yet I got a mailing from the corps of engineers saying that they are reviewing permit application SAJ-2005-10000-BAL and in the mailing they say that they do not think that an Enviromental impact statment is not need even though they plan to pave over a couple of acres of wetlands!

I wrote the coprs of engineers saying that I think that they in fact DO need a EIS and they just ignored my statement but they did admit that they got my letter asking for a public hearing but the lady Bev Lawrence at (904) 232-2517 gave me the very clear impression it did not matter what I thought and that this permit was just a formality and that the JTA gets toi do whatever it wants without any input from the people who live in the area.

How can they get away with no Enviromental Impact statement? Why bother to send out a mailing from the corps of engineers if you then tell me it was just a formality and they will not listen to my request for a public hearing?

:angry:

I hope they run out of money before the project starts as it seems like a COMPLETE waste of money much less the destruction of even more wetlands. The thing that is beyond understanding is they already have a good east west connector from the airport to jax in the the I-95 and 9A (295) highways!

anyone have any thoughts on this? Any one know if they have the full funding yet?

The link above was supposedly updated July 19, 2006.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Elias

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really isn't a good east/west connection between the ariport and the industrial companies in that area. Many of these companies have a direct air based cargo link to the airport and add a lot of truck traffic to the highway between the airport exit at I95 and 9A/us17. This roadway would allow truckers a direct link from their buisnesses to the airport. IMO it is a meaningful project intended to reduce local truck traffic on the highway.

There really isn't a good east/west connection between the ariport and the industrial companies in that area. Many of these companies have a direct air based cargo link to the airport and add a lot of truck traffic to the highway between the airport exit at I95 and 9A/us17. This roadway would allow truckers a direct link from their buisnesses to the airport. IMO it is a meaningful project intended to reduce local truck traffic on the highway.

so who's payroll our you on? I mean obviously you do not live up in the Northside or you would know what you said was 100% stupid. The trucks take 9A then head north on the 9A I-95N intersection that is easy and fast to use and then they get off at the mall exit and they are at the airport. In fact the east-west connector will not help in that anyone who spent 5 minutes looking at the 'plan can see that the build only addresses the travel need between mainstreet (17) and New Berlin road BUT on the west side it means all these trucks will have to drive THRU the mall to get to the airport! and even WORSE since the east side will shrink down to the old ALREADY OVERDRIVEN New Berlin road which will remain one lane in either direction as can be seen at JTA east-west

Thus both ends of such a connector will be chock points as they have no immediate plans to enlarge the rest of New Berlin Road up till it would re-meet up with 9A.

So tell me are you merely uninformed or a hack by the city or trucking lines who is trying to put a fast one over on the people of ths BB?

ewindustrial.gif

I agree, moving even a minute amount of trucks off the highway would do wonders to ease congestion and increase safety.

Archived