Augusta's National Rankings

PJA

Here's an article that discusses how Augusta Ranks among the 331 metros in the nation. Our ranking is 164th out of 331. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/082006/met_93201.shtml

I agree with some of the rankings especially the leisure category although I think we are improving there. As far as the transportation goes, I disagree. As of right now we don't really need a rail system. Plus our airport will probably never be overly used because we are only two hours away from Atlanta.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I agree with them too for the most part. But I do feel like it's a little stupid to judge cities based on how many Starbucks they have. Personally, I think Starbucks (or Starbock as my Grandma calls it) is overrated; plus, I'd rather give money to a locally-owned business. And the leisure thing sucked. I mean, they didn't talk at all about the canal or Phinizy Swamp or any of the trails that we have around here. Stuff that's fun in that regard. I guess their idea of a perfect city is one where a bunch of fatties are driving around in a Yukon sipping on Mocha Lattes from Starbucks on their way to Crate and Barrel or something.

I wanted to start a new topic with this, but I can't find the article online, but I feel like it goes along with Augusta's ranking, so I'll just put it here for now. On Tuesday the Wall Street Journal did an article on Augusta. I thought it was a great article and it really made us look good. This was a huge article too, not just some snippet on A-22 or something. Did anyone else see it?

• 1 month later...

Since we're talking about how we compare to other metros I wanted to post this article from the Chronicle which explains that compared to other places in GA/SC we're actually pretty safe, especially with violent crimes. Brunswick took the cake for most violent metro area in Georgia, with Savannah and Macon coming up 2nd and 3rd. In South Carolina, Florence and Myrtle Beach were tops. I couldn't believe the numbers on Florence though. Is it really that dangerous of a place? Anyway, here is the article: Augusta's Not Violent

throw those statistics away, man!!!!! when VALDOSTA.....VALDOSTA has a higher crime than Augusta and let alone Atlanta something is off. I lived in Atlanta and the news was like watching somebody play grand-theft auto or something! Augusta had way more shoot-outs, robberies, and drug busts this pasting month than Spartanburg south carolina did this year.(I had stayed there also)

Macon is a few HUNDRED-THOUSAND PEOPLE less than Atlanta and Augusta so the math will make it seem like is a crazy town but its not the case. Strange how a few crazy people can the town look bad, sad.

CONGRATULATIONS AUGUSTA...wink wink

augusta crime

^ Yeah, but that's the point. That's why they do the per capita thing, which means that Macon and Valdosta are more violent. They are also a lot poorer than we are, so I think that's the main issue. Look at the bad areas in Augusta: most people associate the southside with crime, and while it has its rough areas (Barton Village), I grew up there (south Augusta not Barton Village, hehehehe) and I never had any problems. The inner city is not as bad as people think it is and neither is East Augusta. I think we all realize that Augusta has its rough areas but, for the most part, we're a safe town. So is Atlanta, for a city of 5 millioin people, they have a lot going on, but you would expect that. Besides, none of these towns are as dangerous as they were in the 80s---that was scary (especially Augusta). As well, Augusta has its problems and I'm surprised about Spartanburg though. Usually the poorer the area the more crime it has.

Brunswick has long been a rough area known for murders (Glynn County was one of murder capitals a few years ago). I'm actually suprised that Albany did as well it did given the rampant poverty in that area of Georgia. Augusta was a very dangerous place ten years ago (in fact I remember us being ranked up there with Gary, Indiana one year) but we've improved a lot and I think these statistics are good indicators of that.

what part of south AUG you grew up in?

heres another rank on the AUG.

Downtown Augusta is one of the most poorest areas not in GA but the nation.thats sad man.

ranking

Yeah, but what's the population of downtown Augusta? Probably very small I would imagine and it is mostly poor people. I would think every major city probably has poor inner-cities. But as a whole is what I'm referring to---Greater Augusta, the 500K plus they refer to.

Pine Heights, behind Butler, and then Goshen.....

Archived