>> Providence Northwest Neighborhoods

runawayjim

up_pvdneighborhoods_northwe.png

Smith Hill Wants Retail

Charles Street

I just thought i'd start a general Elmhurst thread... since it seems to be a forgotten neighborhood.

It seems like the city is actually putting some money into the neighborhood. there's a lot of paving of roads going on. they recently paved tyndall ave, which is just east of huxley between eaton and smith (right next to the newport creamery). they put in a new sidewalk on huxley from admiral to eaton (there was only one from eaton to the east side gate to PC's campus). they're putting in a crosswalk light at the huxley gate for PC. and they're now paving huxley.

theyr'e also tearing up some roads west of river (between river and sharon) for paving.

if only they'd pave admiral.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought i'd start a general Elmhurst thread... since it seems to be a forgotten neighborhood.

It seems like the city is actually putting some money into the neighborhood. there's a lot of paving of roads going on. they recently paved tyndall ave, which is just east of huxley between eaton and smith (right next to the newport creamery). they put in a new sidewalk on huxley from admiral to eaton (there was only one from eaton to the east side gate to PC's campus). they're putting in a crosswalk light at the huxley gate for PC. and they're now paving huxley.

theyr'e also tearing up some roads west of river (between river and sharon) for paving.

if only they'd pave admiral.

I would not say forgotten in terms of City government. The 5th and 14th Wards (which encompass Elmhurst) have historically been among the most politically important in the City. Both are relatively large, have high turn out and contribute. So naturally Elmhurst does not want for its share of city services and dollars.

As to the project you referenced here is the press release from Councilman Mancini:

Councilman Peter S. Mancini today announced that significant safety improvements and beautification efforts are underway in Ward 14 on Huxley Avenue between Admiral and Eaton Streets. Work will include road resurfacing, the installation of new crosswalks and signage, new curbing and sidewalks on the west side of the avenue, and the creation of grass strips and the planting of trees.

The project is being jointly funded by Neighborhood Improvement Bond allocations and Providence College, whose campus extends to both sides of Huxley Avenue.

Councilman Mancini characterized Providence College

i don't have the list in front of me but i'm thinking we tentatively approved Pinehurst, College (which is probably technically in Mt Pleasant) and Huxley. the improvements you mentioned before on Huxley have nothing to do with me, btw, we're planting trees on a different stretch.

i don't have the list in front of me but i'm thinking we tentatively approved Pinehurst, College (which is probably technically in Mt Pleasant) and Huxley. the improvements you mentioned before on Huxley have nothing to do with me, btw, we're planting trees on a different stretch.

college is in elmhurst, it runs between sharon and river.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone ever been to the Asia Palace. Its on the corner of Enfield and Eaton/Smith. Given the complete dearth of restaurants (Subway doesn't qualify as a restaurant) within walking distance I have been tempted to try it. But in light of the appearance of the place, not tempted enough absent somebody else having tried it first.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone ever been to the Asia Palace. Its on the corner of Enfield and Eaton/Smith. Given the complete dearth of restaurants (Subway doesn't qualify as a restaurant) within walking distance I have been tempted to try it. But in light of the appearance of the place, not tempted enough absent somebody else having tried it first.

there's some places i always wonder how they stay in business... i almost never see anyone walk in or out of it other than people who look like they work there.

never tried it, and i might not because of the look, unless someone has tried it first. :lol:

college is in elmhurst, it runs between sharon and river.

so i just realized after looking at a map that there's 3 college st/rd in the city... there's college st on the east side, college rd between sharon and river, and college rd by RIC.

there's some places i always wonder how they stay in business... i almost never see anyone walk in or out of it other than people who look like they work there.

never tried it, and i might not because of the look, unless someone has tried it first. :lol:

so i just realized after looking at a map that there's 3 college st/rd in the city... there's college st on the east side, college rd between sharon and river, and college rd by RIC.

i think the one we're doing it by RIC which is why i thought it was more in Mt Pleasant. But i haven't actually been to that site yet.

Me neither. Shortly after buying our house I went in one night after work to grab a menu. No menus and the inside made Little Chopsticks look sparking. Not going back in again unless somebody vouchs for the food.

Given: 1) the absence of any competition, 2) the abudance of disposable income within walking distance and 3) the existence of an, albiet tiny, commercial area at Academcy and Smith, it seems to me that a neighborhood bistro/tavern with moderately priced food (I am thinking Bravo/Red Stripe/Citron) would clean up.

Me neither. Shortly after buying our house I went in one night after work to grab a menu. No menus and the inside made Little Chopsticks look sparking. Not going back in again unless somebody vouchs for the food.

Given: 1) the absence of any competition, 2) the abudance of disposable income within walking distance and 3) the existence of an, albiet tiny, commercial area at Academcy and Smith, it seems to me that a neighborhood bistro/tavern with moderately priced food (I am thinking Bravo/Red Stripe/Citron) would clean up.

if the inside is anything like the outside, i think i'll be avoiding that place unless someone vouches for it.

i agree that there's a market for a restaurant in this area. something not expensive (i think bravo is a bit on the expensive side, at least their dinner menu) would be best. but the kind of food they serve would be great. we got the abbey with great burgers and sandwiches (and beer selection). why don't we have anything else? rocco's pizza has gone seriously downhill with the other guys cooking (speaking of which, i need to send the owner a letter saying that i'm no longer going to buy their pizza because it just plain sucks now).

la salle bakery is like the best thing we have. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

so upon leaving my house after my lunch hour (i go home for lunch everyday since i live 2 blocks from work), i saw some city workers putting in a new "sidewalk" where there was none.

sidewalk_sm.jpg

i have to say... i am appalled at the city for taking the cheap easy way out on this one. it doesn't match anything. nowhere in this neighborhood are there asphalt sidewalks. i wrote a letter to councilman mancini with my disgust for this and included a link to a larger pic of it. that section of sidewalk is no more than 20 feet. you'd think they could've done it with cement and it would've been dry by morning considering how dry the air has been.

Generically as to new sidewalks you are on target, but I think the eyesore that Jim is pointing to would actually cost an incumbent councilman or the admin votes.

exactly. i wrote to [email protected], but i'm not really expecting a response. i might call the office today to talk to someone. i'm honestly outraged and disgusted by this, and if this is a political tactic to win votes, mancini just lost a vote. and to think that i voted for him in the primary.

Just a word on the asphalt sidewalk. They did the same thing in Wayland Square a one point. I think they were doing some utility work under it and it was just temporary to prevent a public safety hazard. It was replaced shortly thereafter with a nice, matching concrete section a few weeks later.

- Garris

Just a word on the asphalt sidewalk. They did the same thing in Wayland Square a one point. I think they were doing some utility work under it and it was just temporary to prevent a public safety hazard. It was replaced shortly thereafter with a nice, matching concrete section a few weeks later.

- Garris

if this is temporary, they best inform me of that... i am seriously considering voting against mancini (or at the very least, not voting for a city councilman) if this is his idea of fixing up the neighborhood.

there was no utility work performed here, unless they were able to dig up the dirt, do their work, and replace it within 45 min. i came home for lunch and there was nothing going on on the street. when i left home, they were there dumping asphalt down and making the sidewalk. there was no sidewalk there to begin with, it was just a stretch of grass with a dirt path where it was worn down, much like several stretches along my street and all over elmhurst.

just got a response from mancini:

"Dear Ms. [last name omitted]:

Thank you for your email.

The sidewalk was paved with asphalt for now. We anticipate doing several areas in our neighborhood in the spring with cement.

Again, thank you for your concern input in our neighborhood.

Councilman Mancini."

now i know he doesn't know who i am... but how many jim's are female? and the R and S are not common mistakes.

i hope that this asphalt really is temporary. of course when they do it with cement, i'll need another place for my car because i drive over that section of sidewalk to park on my grassy knoll.

you was duped. asphalt, in providence, is NOT temporary and i'm sure he is going to do several areas in the neighborhood with c-ment, but i betcha it won't be that strip.

just got a response from mancini:

"Dear Ms. [last name omitted]:

Thank you for your email.

The sidewalk was paved with asphalt for now. We anticipate doing several areas in our neighborhood in the spring with cement.

Again, thank you for your concern input in our neighborhood.

Councilman Mancini."

now i know he doesn't know who i am... but how many jim's are female? and the R and S are not common mistakes.

i hope that this asphalt really is temporary. of course when they do it with cement, i'll need another place for my car because i drive over that section of sidewalk to park on my grassy knoll.

i guess we'll find out come spring.

Jim:

If spring rolls around and you still have the asphalt strip you should talk to your neighbors. I am not sure what the percentage of owners versus renters is on your street, but if you get enough folks mobilized you will get your concrete. With wards as small as they are in Providence most council members will pay heed to a group of 20-30 voters.

Archived