>> Providence Northwest Neighborhoods

runawayjim

Are they doing 1 can per unit or 1 per house?

i have 1 per house, but there's only 2 apartments in my house (most of my neighborhood is single family homes, my house was converted from a single family, and i actually woudln't midn buying it and converting it back). i don't really know about houses that have 3 or 4 apartments in them.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got my new trash receptacle today. holy crap is this thing big. I usually only have to put the 1 or 2 bags of trash out every other week. Now I have a big monster trash can taking over my garage. I feel like I should just share one with a few neighbors.

We'd be happy to drop by and fill it up! :w00t:

Urb

I hate to make everyone jealous but this spring we got home from work and they had torn up all the sidewalks on our side of the street (some asphalt, some concrete) and the next day they replaced it with new concrete and even an 18" grass strip where there was none before! I like the green but it's hard to keep clean and trimmed (even though I know WBNA has a weedwacker in their Tool Bank) . So, it does happen. I have no idea why or how.

• 1 month later...

i think someone here mentioned raking leaves out of a drain in their driveway and into the street and the legality of that. while i am pretty sure it's illegal to just rake leaves into the street, a few isn't a big deal...

but what i saw today about 5 minutes ago, oh my. the street looked like it was the central collection point for leaves for about 3 or 4 houses (which all had perfectly leaf-free yards) and there was an old man literally raking all his leaves into the middle of the street. i was tempted to jump out of my car and yell at him. it's dangerous having all those leaves in the street if you have to stop quickly because they slide, especially when wet. nevermind the fact that it makes it impossible to see any obstacles that might be hiding below them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so there's several national grid trucks outside my house right now digging up the street. i'd be willing to put money on them not patching the hole properly. what is required when the utility companies rip up a street for maintenance or whatever (i think they're doing something with the house across the street because they were marking up their front lawn) when it comes to patching their holes? all the "patches" on admiral st are lower than the actual street, making for TONS of bumps down the entire street.

There's a huge dip in the road at the intersection of Prospect and Waterman resulting from utility work (I can't remember if it was National Grid, but aren't they like our only utility now anyway). It's not just a dip either, it's a hole with straight vertical edges, you could really get your car f-d up in it.

There's a huge dip in the road at the intersection of Prospect and Waterman resulting from utility work (I can't remember if it was National Grid, but aren't they like our only utility now anyway). It's not just a dip either, it's a hole with straight vertical edges, you could really get your car f-d up in it.

• 1 month later...

so, i think i posted here earlier about national grid doing some work on the house across the street, digging up the road in front of my neighbor's house. they did a shoddy patch job, which ended up all bumpy and crappy. i noticed the other day that a nice sink hole is now developing in that patch. i sent a message to neighborhood services and there was a message from lindsay in the mayor's office on my answering machine asking me to call her back to talk about the issue with that and the shoddy patch jobs on admiral and eaton. i am impressed that they actually called me. usually i just get an email. unfortunately, i won't get a chance to call back today about it before they leave for the day (unless they're there later than 4:30), so i'll call tomorrow at lunch.

so, i think i posted here earlier about national grid doing some work on the house across the street, digging up the road in front of my neighbor's house. they did a shoddy patch job, which ended up all bumpy and crappy. i noticed the other day that a nice sink hole is now developing in that patch. i sent a message to neighborhood services and there was a message from lindsay in the mayor's office on my answering machine asking me to call her back to talk about the issue with that and the shoddy patch jobs on admiral and eaton. i am impressed that they actually called me. usually i just get an email. unfortunately, i won't get a chance to call back today about it before they leave for the day (unless they're there later than 4:30), so i'll call tomorrow at lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 things to report on... first, it seems they shoddily put more asphalt over the sink hole in front of my neighbor's house. at least they fixed it, but it still looks like crap.

second thing... i went for a long walk (about 3.25 miles) today. it took me down chalkstone. that area has so much potential and it's so useful. i have to say that it is almost a complete walkable urban neighborhood. it's densely populated, the diversity is amazing (i saw people of all races and ages out walking around getting stuff done or just hanging out), it has restaurants, shops, bars, a couple small markets (one is asian for whoever was asking about asian markets), laundromat, and a pharmacy (walgreens, one of the biggest holes in the urban streetscape). there's no big grocery store, but some of the markets have groceries. i was impressed. there's a few holes that need to be filled in to make it continuous from just west of roger williams hospital to just west of academy ave. but even as it stands now, it's very walkable and very urban. it has all sorts of different restaurants too... thai, chinese, pizza, bolivian/peruvian, salvadorian, bar food, bakeries, etc. around me, it's considered a "dangerous" area, but it's hardly that. it's a very urban neighborhood that just plain works.

i also went for my first walk through the pleasant valley parkway area. holy crap is it beautiful and peaceful. it's a little "river" walk (more of a stream than a river). there were ducks. i took a couple pics of it. lots of kids and people walking around enjoying the gorgeous weather.

417743946_99e2c527b1.jpg

417743944_8d6141981d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i don't mind that walgreens is there... i just don't like that the parking lot is in front. the parking lot would be better if it were off academy and the building was on the corner. they can have 2 entrances, one in back and one in front. there's a CVS like that in arlington, MA. parking on the side and back of the building, entrance from the back lot and entrance on the sidewalk. why can't they build like that here. although i will admit that that CVS is that same bland stucco look.

i don't mind that walgreens is there... i just don't like that the parking lot is in front. the parking lot would be better if it were off academy and the building was on the corner. they can have 2 entrances, one in back and one in front. there's a CVS like that in arlington, MA. parking on the side and back of the building, entrance from the back lot and entrance on the sidewalk. why can't they build like that here. although i will admit that that CVS is that same bland stucco look.

Archived