>> Providence Northwest Neighborhoods

runawayjim

Jim:

If spring rolls around and you still have the asphalt strip you should talk to your neighbors. I am not sure what the percentage of owners versus renters is on your street, but if you get enough folks mobilized you will get your concrete. With wards as small as they are in Providence most council members will pay heed to a group of 20-30 voters.

not when it isn't an election year anymore. Sorry to be debbie downer on this but sidewalks are easily hardest thing to get done on your street. i think people have better luck having St. Nicklaus come and leave fruit and nuts in your shoes than get your sidewalk done when you aren't someone with influance and it isn't a political season.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not when it isn't an election year anymore. Sorry to be debbie downer on this but sidewalks are easily hardest thing to get done on your street. i think people have better luck having St. Nicklaus come and leave fruit and nuts in your shoes than get your sidewalk done when you aren't someone with influance and it isn't a political season.

don't worry... i'm italian... i speak the language. :ph34r:

"laanngwich"

you know... in elmhurst, there's an italian deli/convenience store type place. i think it's called anthony's, it's on admiral. on the side, they have this little mural thingy with some "graffiti" (in quotes because they put it there) that says "home of the original sangwich". i have yet to try the place, but they have homemade sausage i think. i gotta try it.

you know... in elmhurst, there's an italian deli/convenience store type place. i think it's called anthony's, it's on admiral. on the side, they have this little mural thingy with some "graffiti" (in quotes because they put it there) that says "home of the original sangwich". i have yet to try the place, but they have homemade sausage i think. i gotta try it.

You should. The grinders are far and away the best in the neighborhood if not the City (and yes I have been to the sandwhich hut). I highly recommend the "godfather." The sausages are also quite good, though I prefer Shores.

As to the likelihood of getting the sidewalk replaced, I grant you responsiveness from elected officials certainly diminishes in a non-election year. That being said Jim

You should. The grinders are far and away the best in the neighborhood if not the City (and yes I have been to the sandwhich hut). I highly recommend the "godfather." The sausages are also quite good, though I prefer Shores.

As to the likelihood of getting the sidewalk replaced, I grant you responsiveness from elected officials certainly diminishes in a non-election year. That being said Jim

I've noticed that in the neighborhood they're adding sidewalks where there were none before. Do they notify the residents of the property before digging, or do you just come home one day to a sidewalk where you once had grass?

On my street the sidewalks start and stop. In front of my house a sidewalk would fit nicely. My concern is that I have a (nice concrete) driveway with a bump at the street to keep rainwater from running into my driveway that slopes towards the house. I fear if they put in a sidewalk, they'll cut the end of my driveway and smooth it over.

Is this a reasonable concern?

I've noticed that in the neighborhood they're adding sidewalks where there were none before. Do they notify the residents of the property before digging, or do you just come home one day to a sidewalk where you once had grass?

On my street the sidewalks start and stop. In front of my house a sidewalk would fit nicely. My concern is that I have a (nice concrete) driveway with a bump at the street to keep rainwater from running into my driveway that slopes towards the house. I fear if they put in a sidewalk, they'll cut the end of my driveway and smooth it over.

what do the other sidewalks look like? are they all asphalt?

in some wards you would have had to be on a "list" before you could get a sidewalk. I am not sure about what's going on in yours and jim's wards though because it sounds very hit or miss with the sidewalks. There should be a law against adding to impervious surfaces though. Or a fine.

in some wards you would have had to be on a "list" before you could get a sidewalk. I am not sure about what's going on in yours and jim's wards though because it sounds very hit or miss with the sidewalks. There should be a law against adding to impervious surfaces though. Or a fine.

you are correct. the sidewalks are missing all over elmhurst, and not down entire streets, but rather in spots. it's quite spotty and really annoying if you walk around a lot.

"it's who ya know."

well, like i said. they're in the middle of fixing this problem in elmhurst. i don't think it's a who you know type thing right now because it has been announced that they were going to be repaving a bunch of roads and adding/fixing sidewalks all over the neighborhood.

it is crazy coincidence but i'm finding that roads are being repaved and fixed all over the city, seemingly in wards where councilpeople are being courted by the administration in the Council Presidency fight. I'm sure that's not really the case though because that would be so transparent! :lol:

you are correct. the sidewalks are missing all over elmhurst, and not down entire streets, but rather in spots. it's quite spotty and really annoying if you walk around a lot.

its less of a problem in the older parts of the neighborhood. My area (closer to Smith) which was built in the early 1930s has contiguous sidewalks. However, if you go up a couple blocks towards Admiral (and in to the 14th ward) where the housing stock is more post-WWII, the existence or non-existence of a sidewalk is determined on more of a house by house basis.

i have been known to communicate with the sidewalk peeps via forestery when we are doing tree stuff (as "sidewalk vs tree" is a common battle here in PVD,) and i seem to remember that if you had a concrete sidewalk and it needed repairs or replacing, you got concrete. But if you had no sidewalk, or an asphalt sidewalk, you got asphalt. That's if the sidewalk is being fixed or replaced by our own highway department.

If it is part of a sidewalk project that has gone out to bid, you will get concrete whether you need it or not, and you'll lose your grass strip and tree well, because the contractor gets paid on concrete poured, not concrete not poured.

i have been known to communicate with the sidewalk peeps via forestery when we are doing tree stuff (as "sidewalk vs tree" is a common battle here in PVD,) and i seem to remember that if you had a concrete sidewalk and it needed repairs or replacing, you got concrete. But if you had no sidewalk, or an asphalt sidewalk, you got asphalt. That's if the sidewalk is being fixed or replaced by our own highway department.

If it is part of a sidewalk project that has gone out to bid, you will get concrete whether you need it or not, and you'll lose your grass strip and tree well, because the contractor gets paid on concrete poured, not concrete not poured.

so i can forget about having a grass strip like the rest of the sidewalk as seen in my pic?

sidewalk_sm.jpg

i guess i'm just going to have to have faith in mancini that what he said was right...

matt, what streets did you see them putting in new sidewalks, and was it concrete or asphalt?

part of the issue with grass strips is that it sometimes (often) makes the actual sidewalk part (that the cement is on) less than ADA compliant. Older sidewalks are grandfathered in as long as they don't have any work done on them. I don't mean to harsh your sidewalk vibe, jim, i just wouldn't hold my breath for a concrete sidewalk and a lush grad strip...

part of the issue with grass strips is that it sometimes (often) makes the actual sidewalk part (that the cement is on) less than ADA compliant. Older sidewalks are grandfathered in as long as they don't have any work done on them. I don't mean to harsh your sidewalk vibe, jim, i just wouldn't hold my breath for a concrete sidewalk and a lush grad strip...

i'd be happy if it was just concrete without the grass strip, obviously not as happy...

although, the new sidewalks they put in (completely new, they had to raise the grade where they were because there was nothing there previously) on huxley have a grass strip, at least on teh section north of the PC gate. the sidewalk south of the gate does not have a grass strip (i thought it was weird that they put it in one place but not the other). although i was pissed that they left the crooked signs where they were and just poured concrete around them.

They must have given developers/homeowners an option back in the day whether or not they wanted to include a sidewalk in front of their property, thus resulting in the scattered sidewalks we see around Providence and Pawtucket. Very annoying I agree. Nothing is worse than Warwick though, it's the land of broken scattered sidewalks and piss-poor pedestrian accommodations. I despise it.

matt, what streets did you see them putting in new sidewalks, and was it concrete or asphalt?

River ave has just gotten new sidewalk along the PC field down to the gate. Also on River between Smith and the PVParkway they have been replacing concrete sidewalk with new concrete sidewalk.

River ave has just gotten new sidewalk along the PC field down to the gate. Also on River between Smith and the PVParkway they have been replacing concrete sidewalk with new concrete sidewalk.

at least it's concrete... i wonder why they cuoldn't do mine with concrete... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

got my new trash receptacle today. holy crap is this thing big. I usually only have to put the 1 or 2 bags of trash out every other week. Now I have a big monster trash can taking over my garage. I feel like I should just share one with a few neighbors.

got my new trash receptacle today. holy crap is this thing big. I usually only have to put the 1 or 2 bags of trash out every other week. Now I have a big monster trash can taking over my garage. I feel like I should just share one with a few neighbors.

did they deliver it or did you take it from valueland? :lol:

they are quite large and hold a lot. when the woman below me was away, i didn't even fill it 1/3 of the way. she has a lot of trash...

Archived